Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There will be NO HW4 upgrade for HW3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the frustrating part. They should upgrade the hardware/software until FSD is achieved. Nobody expects free hardware and software but we paid in advance for these features to get it in the future, as they said the prices would go up over time. Nobody is asking for a brand new car but the hardware and software necessary that was promised.

The problem is that once HW4 is delivered, our cars will depreciate significantly, unlike the prophet Elon's statement of appreciating assets.

He has repeatedly mentioned it in his tweets and presentations about how FSD is an appreciating asset... that's just not right.

If you see the video clip that I posted, which is from 2019, he said verbatim, "for sure, by the end of next year," we will have a million Robotaxis.

How can someone as genius as Musk possibly say that? mind-boggling
This was the selling point for purchasing FSD ( not beta) before it ever existed. Statements like The cost FSD with robotaxi capability will continue to go up likely to the $100K range and the vehicle had all the equipment required to operate as a robotaxi. Early on there was no mention of levels, so they are not appropriate here. There was the commitment that the FSD investment would guarantee a robotaxi capable vehicle. In hindsight this was gross over commitment, however it is the commitment that FSD was ( maybe not now) sold under.

Just because HW4 is unlikely to be retrofit, doesn’t mean HW4.1, or HW5 or HW9.3 couldn’t be retrofit.

The reason HW4 is a different form factor is likely that HW4 is a form factor on which future HWx could be built: integrated, larger and easier to cool.

Chips get more powerful per watt every cycle of die shrink and gate size reduction. If Tesla wanted to, they could build a more powerful HW3.1 that would fit in legacy cars (or build two since S/X and 3/Y differ).

Why will they not do this? Because their first goal will be to make FSD work, and Tesla throwing better and more cameras and more processing power makes it more likely to work.

Now Tesla May decide it is better to refund, allow transfer or fight early FSD buyers, than to make their cars work. But maybe it could make the current cameras work with future HWx if it wanted. Or more likely retrofit the current cameras to work with future HWx on our old cars. Heck, there is even a very slim chance that the current hardware will be enough, once several years of new hardware has been thrown at the problem amd the software optimized.

What will happen? I dont think that Musk is going to stop over promising anytime soon and I don’t think people’s impatient nature is going to change. Lawyers aren’t getting less litigious, and the total value of unfulfilled FSD continues to grow. Should be interesting.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just because HW4 is unlikely to be retrofit, doesn’t mean HW4.1, or HW5 or HW9.3 couldn’t be retrofit.

The reason HW4 is a different form factor is likely that HW4 is a form factor on which future HWx could be built: integrated, larger and easier to cool.

Chips get more powerful per watt every cycle of die shrink and gate size reduction. If Tesla wanted to, they could build a more powerful HW3.1 that would fit in legacy cars (or build two since S/X and 3/Y differ).

Why will they not do this? Because their first goal will be to make FSD work, and Tesla throwing better and more cameras and more processing power makes it more likely to work.

Now Tesla May decide it is better to refund, allow transfer or fight early FSD buyers, than to make their cars work. But maybe it could make the current cameras work with future HWx if it wanted. Or more likely retrofit the current cameras to work with future HWx on our old cars. Heck, there is even a very slim chance that the current hardware will be enough, once several years of new hardware has been thrown at the problem amd the software optimized.

What will happen? I dont think that Musk is going to stop over promising anytime soon and I don’t think people’s impatient nature is going to change. Lawyers aren’t getting less litigious, and the total value of unfulfilled FSD continues to grow. Should be interesting.
What are the chances of an after market upgrade becoming available...or is it all proprietary technology ?

What are the chances of an after market upgrade becoming available...or is it all proprietary technology ?
Tesla makes their own chips and writes the software to run on them, so nobody is going to build a plug and play replacement.

But since Hughes put AP1 in a non AP car, and he likely could put AP2 in an AP1 car if he wanted to, you can bet he and others could put the new HW4 in HW3 cars, pull a little more power for them and even figure out how to hack liquid cooling into the older air cooled S/X. If they wanted to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouba
I don’t understand the argument of “HW3 is good enough so we won’t upgrade anyone to HW4.”

If it’s good enough, then why even release HW4? Or is this one of those we’ll tell you it’s good enough to not waste our money on putting HW4 into HW3 cars because FSD probably won’t run on HW4 either, but we’ll collect more “data”?

Smells like the “console quality gaming” in all refresh S/X scam all over again…. The hack has yet to address the issue and is just letting all the 2021 to 2022 refresh owners take a big fat L with their crapshoot infotainment computer that can’t run Steam.

Reactions: ArchHamster
I don’t understand the argument of “HW3 is good enough so we won’t upgrade anyone to HW4.”

If it’s good enough, then why even release HW4? Or is this one of those we’ll tell you it’s good enough to not waste our money on putting HW4 into HW3 cars because FSD probably won’t run on HW4 either, but we’ll collect more “data”?
Because Tesla's always improving their parts? For example currently there is no difference in the actual functionality between the Intel and Ryzen Model 3/Y (only some performance improvement), but Tesla still switched cars over. Basically the idea is both will do the same baseline functionality, but the newer hardware gives more on top.

Basically there will always be new hardware coming regardless of the capabilities of the old (HW4 is guaranteed to be outdated in the future).

Another example of you want to look at autonomous cars, both the gen 4 and gen 5 Waymo are level 4 systems, just because the gen 5 is better doesn't change that.

Clearly Musk has long (grossly) misused the term “Full Self Driving.” But I wonder what the not so fine print has said? As I read the current statement for the FSD option, it states what functions are gained over AP and EAP, but it’s not L4 or L5 by any means. It also notes “The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.” Furthermore it says “As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates“ - it does NOT say owners will get hardware upgrades. I understand why owners expect a lot more based on the term FSD, but was there anything written at any time that promised “L4/L5” or whatever owners believe their entitled to? I certainly don’t read the current FSD text as a promiss to provide actual full self driving.

Clearly Musk has long (grossly) misused the term “Full Self Driving.” But I wonder what the not so fine print has said? As I read the current statement for the FSD option, it states what functions are gained over AP and EAP, but it’s not L4 or L5 by any means. It also notes “The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.” Furthermore it says “As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates“ - it does NOT say owners will get hardware upgrades. I understand why owners expect a lot more based on the term FSD, but was there anything written at any time that promised “L4/L5” or whatever owners believe their entitled to? I certainly don’t read the current FSD text as a promiss to provide actual full self driving.

I purchased a feature to be delivered in the future. If they can't deliver the feature with the hardware I have then they will have to make it work (by hardware upgrade if necessary) or they won't have delivered the feature and hence will be in breach of contract (to deliver the feature). Given the proximity of my purchase to the release of HW4 (and hence their knowledge of any shortcomings in HW3 which are addressed by HW4 and likely what follows after which is deep into development now) I would contend that selling me the feature and then refusing necessary upgrades to make it functional would be actual and material fraud from Tesla.

Regrading the L3/L4/L5 portion (and hence the meaning of product delivery), this is something that will likely be decided in court unless they deliver the moon such that most everyone who purchased FSD is satisfied.

Yeah, unfortunately that is likely to be decided by courts in the future unless Tesla makes alot of miraculous improvements in the near future (there is even a court case about it already) :p

I predict that in such a future scenario, the courts will agree with what I said before: the license is tied to the car, and the obvious expectation would be a delivery of the feature during the reasonable future life of that car. What's the reasonable life of a car for these purposes? The drivetrain warranty is a good reference point!

Reactions: Ramphex
Tesla can plausibly argue they are diligently working on it and it is unrealistic to set a deadline on something that has NEVER been done before. Therefore as an unknowable possibility it is impossible to predict an accurate timeline to completion and all time estimations are based on aspirations. Since there is no standard or reference.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I predict that in such a future scenario, the courts will agree with what I said before: the license is tied to the car, and the obvious expectation would be a delivery of the feature during the reasonable future life of that car. What's the reasonable life of a car for these purposes? The drivetrain warranty is a good reference point!

I generally agree with this; I'd also point out that Tesla's motor purchase agreement contains this text:

Obsolete Hardware and Future Firmware Updates. The Vehicle will regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi. Future software updates may not be provided for your Vehicle, or may not include all existing or new features or functionality, due to your Vehicle’s age, configuration, data storage capacity or parts, after the expiration of your Warranty. We are not liable for any parts or labor or any other cost needed to update or retrofit the Vehicle so that it may receive these updates, or any Vehicle issues occurring after the installation of any software updates due to obsolete, malfunctioning (except as covered by your Warranty) or damaged hardware.

the "after the expiration of your Warranty" already ties software updates to the warranty period of the car.

Tesla can plausibly argue they are diligently working on it and it is unrealistic to set a deadline on something that has NEVER been done before. Therefore as an unknowable possibility it is impossible to predict an accurate timeline to completion and all time estimations are based on aspirations. Since there is no standard or reference.
Aristotle: Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities.

I purchased a feature to be delivered in the future. If they can't deliver the feature with the hardware I have then they will have to make it work (by hardware upgrade if necessary) or they won't have delivered the feature and hence will be in breach of contract (to deliver the feature). Given the proximity of my purchase to the release of HW4 (and hence their knowledge of any shortcomings in HW3 which are addressed by HW4 and likely what follows after which is deep into development now) I would contend that selling me the feature and then refusing necessary upgrades to make it functional would be actual and material fraud from Tesla.

Regrading the L3/L4/L5 portion (and hence the meaning of product delivery), this is something that will likely be decided in court unless they deliver the moon such that most everyone who purchased FSD is satisfied.
The problem is what feature were you contracted for? In the recent order pages, the only remaining feature is Autosteer on City streets, a feature which Tesla told regulators is L2 and HW3 can deliver (given FSD Beta is essentially it).

If you ordered before 2019, there were more things promised than that, but you don't fall under that category if you bought in close proximity to HW4.

Please give me the exact date when the future is so I will know that the day after the future has past that Tesla is in breach of contract? 🤣
Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.

In the absence of a specific delivery date, the Uniform Commercial Code, which most state likely follow, states that the seller has a 'reasonable' time period in which to deliver the contracted item.

How long is considered to be reasonable obvious depends on the complexity of the task required. Unless Tesla stops supporting the car with updates, it may take some litigation to determine this, so anyone suing for breach of contract should be prepared to make a compelling argument that the reasonable time has expired to develop the features that are claimed to be in breach. Finding good case law for similar complexity development efforts would be most useful to the claimant. Finding a good lawyer may be better.