Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also an "update-refuser" or whatever you want to call it... I'm on 6.2.x and it's now broken in the way that Green1 describes in the OP.

I have a non-AP car, and the changes they made to the dash for 7.x are rubbish... couldn't give two shits about the odometer (thanks for moving that to the center Tesla), and I'm not looking forward to having to scan around to find out what my remaining range is (moved from center to bottom left) or what gear (moved from center to bottom right) when I'm trying to keep my eyes up and forward, I'm sure it's a great UI if the car is driving itself on AP and you have nothing better to do then look around for that stuff. (Obviously it was done this way so they could be lazy and just slap the speedo UI overlay in the middle of the screen layout that they made for AP cars)

Aside from the shitty new UI, there is no new functionality or improvement for non-AP cars, so why would I want the upgrade?

A higher version number does not automatically equate to a better user experience (the majority of owners probably hit the upgrade button hoping it will improve (cause no change long before), or are indifferent and just upgrade so the nag screen goes away). There are tonnes of examples of this, new things are fixed and new things are broken with every release of the Linux kernel, Ubuntu, MacOS and Tesla's firmware... There's no reason to upgrade if there's no value to the user in upgrading; I say this as someone who develops software.

Edit: Also, I own the car, tesla has bundled a copy software on it, however there's no EULA or contract anywhere that says Tesla retained any right to do anything to my property without my permission.

I agree 100% but unfortunately I upgraded my non AP Tesla. I now have a big red car in the middle of the dash that does nothing. I am told it shows brake lights but with the car being red I can not tell. Still a great car though.

It was a hypothetical to your point that Tesla couldn't do something to the software without your consent. I wasn't saying this happened just that it could if they were directed to by a regulator but I'm reading this post to say you understand that.
We all must comply with (or risk the consequences of not complying with) applicable laws. I have not now, nor have I ever, suggested that Tesla should break any laws.
I don't believe that this is really related at all to the current situation though, and thought that it would be obvious that a legal request from a regulatory authority would have to be viewed from a different perspective.

There are many things in life which I would not normally do, which I would have to do if requested by the appropriate authorities. Simple example, if I'm driving home and some random person jumps out on the street in front of me waving at me, I'll probably drive around them and keep going. If they're a police officer in uniform I'll comply with their directions because they have the legal authority to request that of me.
Same here, Tesla requests I add limitations or remove functionality, and I'll "drive around them", Transport Canada requests the same and I'll comply with their directions because they have the legal authority to request that.

They do not provide any source in that article, and considering how many people think the navigation is google when it's not, I certainly wouldn't take their word for it without some form of source.
The navigation clearly is not, but the maps clearly uses Google. Its not a bad guess that they also use Google search and Google's voice api.

However, whether they use Google or not is actually not that important to the comment I made. The point has more to do with whether it is server side or client side (built into the car). I'm pretty sure the voice commands do not work if there is no internet connection. For example from this thread here:
Voice Command not working

Do you have proof that voice recognition is a google product? considering that it is WAY behind any other google product on both feature set and accuracy, I find that unlikely, but I'm willing to entertain proof. I've always assumed it was something in house to Tesla, and always wished they would in fact use Google instead.

from the website that thought Pokemon Go on Model S was a real thing? ;)
Given the doubt about Teslarati as a source, I dug back to an older thread about Model S voice control to try to find a better source.

Here's a quote with JB saying that they would be using Google Voice in the Model S:
"The console also doesn't support voice control. So you can't press a button and tell it to dial a phone number for you or change the channel. Tesla's chief technology officer, J.B. Straubel, said the company plans to add voice control using Google Voice, but it's not available at launch. And sorry, iPhone fans, the company doesn't yet plan to support the new hands-free capabilities Apple (AAPL) is adding to its Siri feature."
People who attended Tesla events had confirmation that the voice function uses Google Voice:
I confirmed at the Toronto event that it is indeed based on Google's voice recognition software; it isn't yet finalized (or at least public) exactly what voice control will all do, whether it is a list of commands (like most/all car voice commands) or whether it is more like Siri. I'm thinking for now at least it will be the list. I never asked, but along with the "customizable" trend they're going for I'm hoping the responding voice will be customizable - I hate the voice in my 2012 Explorer.
Model S Voice Control

Again, not absolutely critical to my point, but Tesla does appear to be using Google voice recognition.

Last edited:
Car definitely uses Google's Voice recognition API...

Code:
#!/bin/bash

gst-launch -v                                           \
    alsasrc num-buffers=600 device=tdm1_slot_12_rec \!  \
    audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000,channels=1,width=16 \!    \
    amrnbenc \!                                         \
    filesink location=/tmp/vrcap.amr

curl                                                                                            \
    "http://www.google.com/speech-api/v1/recognize?lang=en-us&client=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"       \
    --header "Content-Type: audio/amr; rate=8000"                                               \
    --data-binary @/tmp/vrcap.amr                                                               \
    -o /tmp/vrcap.dat

sed -e 's/.*utterance":"\([^"]*\).*/\1/' </tmp/vrcap.dat >/tmp/vrcap.txt

Edit: This script is actually depreciated (Google disabled API v1 at some point), and has since been incorporated into the car software with Google's latest API... but still uses Google.

Again, not absolutely critical to my point, but Tesla does appear to be using Google voice recognition.
Also, this has happened before. In April 2013 a backward-incompatible change was made to the Google Voice API, causing it to not work with Tesla firmware 4.2 and earlier (voice commands were a new feature in 4.0). The fix was apparently in 4.4 or later, based on the dates of the releases in the firmware wiki.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
Also, this has happened before. In April 2013 a backward-incompatible change was made to the Google Voice API, causing it to not work with Tesla firmware 4.2 and earlier (voice commands were a new feature in 4.0). The fix was apparently in 4.4 or later, based on the dates of the releases in the firmware wiki.
Did 4.4 include any reduction in functionality vs 4.2? if not, then it was a perfectly reasonable solution to the problem to release a new firmware with a fix for the problem.

My issue isn't Tesla releasing updates and fixes. My issue is with Tesla retroactively removing functionality.

I have made it quite clear to Tesla, that at the end of all of this I don't care what firmware version I'm on. I can be on whatever number they chose as long as I have all the functionality that I had when I bought the car (if they want to add extra functionality as well, that's up to them, they have no obligation to do so, nor are they prohibited from doing so)

Someone here said this issue is divisive. Actually it is not. Far from it.

An issue is divisive only if you have an even split or close to it. You can even argue a 70-30 split is divisive in some way.

In this case though it is more like 95-5. Far from being divisive.

I really hope that Tesla comes back and officially tells OP, take it or leave it. Spending resources to please a fringe group, probably less 1%, so that they can drive any speed they like on roads AP does poorly - a feature that Tesla soon realized that is unsafe and hence fixed it - is ridiculous.

I just wonder if the tone of this thread would be different if the update we were discussing was one in which Tesla went to 60 second "hands on wheel" nags as a result of the Florida crash. Or an update that geofences out everything but actual freeways.

I think it would have been a lot different had green1 simply been more careful with his accusations. The overall negative tone of the post led the entire thing into a downward spiral. He spoke about it before he really knew what was going on.

He also came across in a manner that seemed excessively self important, and readers don't like that. It's hard to have empathy with someone who comes across as excessive in their demands.

It's a bit unfortunate because he was spot on regarding his concern about how the autopilot restriction was implemented. It was a piss poor implementation on the part of Tesla. That no matter how much of a fan someone is of Tesla there is no denying the speed limit recognition needs some serious tweaking. For Tesla to link that with AP was just awful.

My own response was just to say he was being unrealistic about expecting connected feature to still work, but gave him support in continuing his fight against the ridiculous implementation of the AP road type limitation. I don't think that feature did much good anyways. It's one of those things that probably caused more harm than good.

In his other thread I'm fully supportive of his efforts at least in terms of words and popcorn.

Reactions: gpetti
Someone here said this issue is divisive. Actually it is not. Far from it.

An issue is divisive only if you have an even split or close to it. You can even argue a 70-30 split is divisive in some way.

In this case though it is more like 95-5. Far from being divisive.

I really hope that Tesla comes back and officially tells OP, take it or leave it. Spending resources to please a fringe group, probably less 1%, so that they can drive any speed they like on roads AP does poorly - a feature that Tesla soon realized that is unsafe and hence fixed it - is ridiculous.

No, No, no…

See WK057 is worth 100 of us. So if you assume that's the case then it is divisive. :p

But, more seriously I do expect Tesla to come back and tell the OP that there wasn't anything intentional about it. But, that they can't support an old version of firmware. So he'll have to live with limitations of internet connected features not working or accept the firmware upgrade.

With that being said I believe Tesla will modify the existing AP limitation mechanism to fix it. It will probably land in the V8.0 upgrade. The current implementation simply does not work right. I don't even use AP on undivided roads and even i know it won't work right because of how many times it screws up the speed limit recognition.

In the end I think he would have been better off accepting the update way back when it came out, and then just totally annoyed the Tesla service with email after email about where it didn't work right. That's more my style. Just nag someone until they fix it.

When I drove in the USA briefly the car never missed a single speed limit sign.
In Canada it gets it right less than 50% of the time.
visually they look mostly the same, the only real difference is ours say "Maximum" and a number whereas the US ones say "Speed Limit" and a number.
Based on the fact that it was 100% in the USA, and that I have zero issues with lane markings (it sees those at least as well as I do) I have no reason to suspect a camera issue, instead I suspect it's software.

As for nags, that's a minor concern really (though it is of course the one all the haters latch on to), I have however had several occasions of nags appearing despite my hands on the wheel, and continuing until I make a more noticeable tug on the wheel than I believe I should have to. But my main concern is, and always has been, the speed limits. I spend a ton of time on roads where it doesn't know the speed limit, and I use AP extensively on those roads for the safety advantages. Making me less safe by forcing me to turn AP off in those situations (or force me to manually push the accelerator pedal) is not what I signed up for.

As for selling my car, sure, show me a replacement car that has the same functionality as the Tesla and I'll swap in a heartbeat. It's the best car on the planet, it's unfortunate that the company behind it is so consumer hostile.

That is interesting. It seems like Tesla should be able to program visual recognition software that never misses a speed limit sign as long as the camera resolution is capable of reading it. As for the lane lines, if the lines are there, AP does fine. But I went through a few construction zones (hands ALWAYS on the wheel through them) that had double markings, offset markings, no markings, etc. There was always a car in front, but AP got confused very quickly in those situations. My boss also went on a road trip last week, and he said the only problem he had with AP the whole trip was the lane lines drifting near an off ramp causing the car to drift out of its lane.

I know you weren't referencing me, but you did quote me in this post...I never suggested you sell your car. I am just genuinely interested in why your car was having speed limit issues when I had not experienced that.

You are also asserting that the warranty of the car guarantees all features that shipped with the car will function no matter what you do. That is a false assertion as you are clearly experiencing.
Established warranty law directly contradicts your claim, otherwise manufacturers would use it to get out of fixing things all the time.

And I didn't say "no matter what you do" obviously if I break something, that's not covered by warranty, but if something stops working through inaction on my part, that is expressly covered.

Established warranty law directly contradicts your claim, otherwise manufacturers would use it to get out of fixing things all the time.

And I didn't say "no matter what you do" obviously if I break something, that's not covered by warranty, but if something stops working through inaction on my part, that is expressly covered.

Sounds like you will need to file a lawsuit against Tesla then. Good luck with your endeavor.