Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speculation but I turned on Dolby in the UHFS and it sounds great for the first time. It could also be my imagination since I saw that module was updated in this release so it could be a little confirmation bias.

Other people have mentioned that it sounds way better in the recent versions than it did prior, so I don't think it is your imagination.

Reactions: msnow
I did not purchase the vehicle until autopilot was redheaded. I have been burned too many times by the idea of buying something with the promise that the feature I want will be added later. I no longer ever buy any product until the feature I want has been delivered. You may be confused because my car is a 2014, but it was a Tesla inventory car until late 2015 when I purchased it.
You do realize that the only thing in the Autopilot suite that is geofenced to limit use on non-divided highway ONLY effects Auto-Steer? TACC will happily let you set any speed on any road without restriction.
So, you're having a snit over the safety feature that keeps nuts from using auto-steer at 70mph on two-lane highways?
I'm not seeing any logic, other than cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reactions: gpetti
Since when did the car have any idea how many lanes were on a roadway, or what the speed limits are?
Tesla has no mechanism for correcting their many map errors, and I will not willingly add a restriction that did not exist before, and is based on known bad data with no mechanism for correction.
not auto pilot/steer related but they have corrected map errors in the navigation. I found 2 anomalies a couple/few years ago and have not seen the errors again. One was a mileage difference in real road vs google/nav so my numbers weren't matching up NB I-5 heading North from Sac and the other was a 'phantom' elevation change that made the estimated trip show a vertical drop of 2% at one point in one direction only

Reactions: rxlawdude
not auto pilot/steer related but they have corrected map errors in the navigation. I found 2 anomalies a couple/few years ago and have not seen the errors again. One was a mileage difference in real road vs google/nav so my numbers weren't matching up and the other was a 'phantom' elevation change that made the estimated trip show a vertical drop of 2% at one point in one direction only
Meanwhile I, and many others, have reported several specific incorrect speed limits long before the last map update, and they are still not correct now. When asking Tesla what their process was for fixing this they said they'd send it to my local service centre, like they can fix the map database!

Reactions: davidc18
Either way, it's all irrelevant. Had Tesla not implemented the broken limitation in the first place, then it wouldn't matter how accurately it worked.

Apologizing by saying that the added restriction is only a problem a small percentage of the time doesn't change the fact that it is by definition still a problem infinitely more often than it was before it was implemented.

I'm also unsure why I should drive manually (and therefore less safely) on a long straight undivided country highway, than on a twisty windy divided highway.

It's probably because head on collisions with someone coming the other way are nearly impossible on divided highways. As someone who doesn't trust the current AP, I can live with others using it in front of me and behind me -- but coming the other way at me must remain off limits until there's more hardware and redundancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpetti
It's probably because head on collisions with someone coming the other way are nearly impossible on divided highways. As someone who doesn't trust the current AP, I can live with others using it in front of me and behind me -- but coming the other way at me must remain off limits until there's more hardware and redundancy.
But that's not the case, even with 7.1. On 7.1 you're limited to +5mph on AP going on an undivided highway. So you could still have a head-on-collision with a car using AP, but instead of him going 70mph in a 55mph zone, he'll be limited to 60mph.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Would you be ok if an automaker released a patch to fix the navigation in your car, but it disabled the stereo?
How is that different in any way?
My stereo isn't described as beta. Autopilot is currently beta, and refinements to its behavior are part of that process. As a practical matter, Tesla can either make safety refinements or pull the feature. I think we'd all prefer they weren't forced to pull the feature by some regulatory agency, as was the case in Hong Kong (and as I recall in that case, owners weren't given a choice to refuse the change.)

no, it CLAIMS to know, that's not the same as actually, and accurately knowing.
As far as divided vs. undivided goes, I have yet to see it get that wrong (on current firmware). Speed limits are evidently tied to the Garmin portion of the navigation system and the accuracy is not within Tesla control and I've heard annual updates are the norm for Garmin. I don't know whether the divided/undivided information is also from Garmin, or from Google.

The autopilot experience has been getting better for me with every update. No more darting for exits or left turn bays. Smoother around the corners. Speed reductions in tight corners. Better follow behaviour. The original version was very clunky compared to what is out today. I actually can't remember what the 'unrestricted' version did that I'd actually trade for the overall improvements I enjoy today. Frankly, I'd be nervous if I had to go back to the early versions and probably wouldn't use it, now that I know what it CAN do.

As far as divided vs. undivided goes, I have yet to see it get that wrong (on current firmware). Speed limits are evidently tied to the Garmin portion of the navigation system and the accuracy is not within Tesla control and I've heard annual updates are the norm for Garmin. I don't know whether the divided/undivided information is also from Garmin, or from Google.

The autopilot experience has been getting better for me with every update. No more darting for exits or left turn bays. Smoother around the corners. Speed reductions in tight corners. Better follow behaviour. The original version was very clunky compared to what is out today. I actually can't remember what the 'unrestricted' version did that I'd actually trade for the overall improvements I enjoy today. Frankly, I'd be nervous if I had to go back to the early versions and probably wouldn't use it, now that I know what it CAN do.

Totally agree. The performance of the current AP is just so far beyond the first version. The early AP truly was the twitchy tech demo. My day-to-day use (which of course depends on where I use it I understand) is nearly flawless. Back in 7.0, same roads? Novel, but very unpredictable.

And they were right...

As many know, I have been refusing the update to 7.1 ever since it came out as I refuse to accept the limitations added to autopilot. My autopilot works beautifully in all situations, and I've seen no reason why I would want to add any limits to that. Nor have I seen any features introduced since that would be worth more to me than my unrestricted autopilot which I use on a daily basis.

Well now Tesla has decided to play dirty. About a month ago voice recognition stopped working. I'm told that the API on Tesla's end has changed and is no longer compatible with my car's software. That wasn't enough to force me on to the update though, so yesterday they disabled google maps too. Once again I'm told the only solution is to update the software and accept the new limitations.

I believe that Tesla is refusing to honour the warranty on my vehicle by tying the repair of existing features such as voice control and mapping to my accepting limitations be added to unrelated features.

I'm currently weighing my options, but I can say that I'm NOT happy, and this is one more thing making me not want to recommend Tesla as a company to do business with to anyone in the future. I was at a car show last night telling everyone how great Tesla is, I will definitely be thinking twice about that in the future.

I'm still on 7.0 as of right now, and trying to work with Tesla to come to an acceptable arrangement, however the conversations so far are not making me optimistic of a resolution that will do anything but leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Welcome to capitalist technology in the 21st century. Ever owned an iphone?
They come out with new software which is more complex so it requires new hardware. If you don't want the new hardware and you like your phone the way it is, you can refuse to update, but they'll slowly start making your phone work worse and worse until you HAVE to update the software, which of course won't run on your old phone, so you have to buy the new phone.
The tech industry has us all on treadmills, with holes in our wallets just trying to keep up, and filling landfills with toxic waste in the process.

Reactions: beths11
Welcome to capitalist technology in the 21st century. Ever owned an iphone?
They come out with new software which is more complex so it requires new hardware. If you don't want the new hardware and you like your phone the way it is, you can refuse to update, but they'll slowly start making your phone work worse and worse until you HAVE to update the software, which of course won't run on your old phone, so you have to buy the new phone.
The tech industry has us all on treadmills, with holes in our wallets just trying to keep up, and filling landfills with toxic waste in the process.

You've seen through our dastardly plot! Curses!

This techno-car subject actually raises another question - what are these cars going to be like in 10-20 years? I still see 30 year old honda civics and accords driving around. Is a 20 year old tesla going to be a paperweight because it'll have old unsupported software on an old unsupported computer?

You've seen through our dastardly plot! Curses!

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence in industrial design and economics is a policy of planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time.[1] The rationale behind the strategy is to generate long-term sales volume by reducing the time between repeat purchases (referred to as "shortening the replacement cycle").[2]"

Not a conspiracy theory. An actual widespread manufacturing and design strategy.