Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel a contest coming up to word the in-car message when that happens.

"Pull over safely. Oncoming problem with Authorities detected."

"Quick! Get out & run!"

...?

I like to imagine that you'd call tesla, they'd work with authorities to disable the car and lock the doors. Police surround the vehicle, then tesla unlocks the doors so they can drag the thief(s) out.

I like to imagine that you'd call tesla, they'd work with authorities to disable the car and lock the doors. Police surround the vehicle, then tesla unlocks the doors so they can drag the thief(s) out.

That would be awesome. But Tesla would need a way to authenticate the owners identity over the phone. And how would Tesla know if they were getting in the middle of a domestic dispute between two owners, or other complicated situations where things were not as clear cute as they might appear?

I think I would call 911, tell them I have been car jacked and let them know I can track my cars direction and speed with my phone and there is a possibility that tesla motors would disable it for them. I would also let them know not to even bother with a high speed chase because they would never catch it. They will need to set up a road block with tanks to stop it. ;D

I think I would call 911, tell them I have been car jacked and let them know I can track my cars direction and speed with my phone and there is a possibility that tesla motors would disable it for them. I would also let them know not to even bother with a high speed chase because they would never catch it. They will need to set up a road block with tanks to stop it. ;D

GM's OnStar system can do essentially that: limit the speed and then shut the car down when the police are nearby and ready to intercept. I could imagine Tesla offering OnStar-like service some day since they seem to have all of the technical pieces in place already.

...and with the Prius. It seems that car companies have not figured out a way to alert the driver when the key fob goes out of range while the car is operating and someone is sitting in the drivers seat.

My Hyundai let's out a horrible high pitched whistle when the key leaves while the car is running. it stops after 10 seconds or so.

I wonder with the Tesla if you drove away, after a certain distance it would tell you to stop/cut power? Or would it just let you drive 100 miles without the key, then leave you stranded there?

How so? I've seen the "key fob is no longer in the car" warning on the display accompanied by the audible tone. It doesn't stop the car, but it at least tells you you don't have the key.

You're right. But when you unfasten your seat belt and take your weight off the seat, you're done. You'll need the key to restart it.

Hopefully when you notice the warning, your next stop is to go pick up the fob. I don't know what the alternative is, really. Any thoughts? I think shutting your car off would be a mistake.

There was a thread last year where we talked about this extensively. I'll look around for it. If memory serves me someone suggested and extra key fob without a battery inserted, IN the car with the battery someplace in the car but not in the FOB. I seem to remember that this technique worked. Would also work if you lose your FOB and have the app to unlock the car.

There was a thread last year where we talked about this extensively. I'll look around for it. If memory serves me someone suggested and extra key fob without a battery inserted, IN the car with the battery someplace in the car but not in the FOB. I seem to remember that this technique worked. Would also work if you lose your FOB and have the app to unlock the car.

I guess I meant more along the lines of what Tesla themselves can do to negate this problem. The key fob without the battery is a good idea. I would have never thought of it. It'd be great if they could get NFC to work from our smartphones for starting the car and be able to set that in the cupholder instead. As a safety precaution, maybe make it so you can't turn the car on with the phone locked and require the user to confirm their Tesla account password within the app, even if they have their password saved.

I guess I meant more along the lines of what Tesla themselves can do to negate this problem.

There's a few things they can do.

A) on screen alert/noise that the key is no longer detected.

B) Gradually cut off the car after a set distance from the key, although could be a safety risk. On the upside, great if you got carjacked.

C) If you need to start your car without a key, allow remote ignition through the app, a pin or a phone call to Tesla.

I think A) is the easiest solution

There's a few things they can do.

A) on screen alert/noise that the key is no longer detected.

B) Gradually cut off the car after a set distance from the key, although could be a safety risk. On the upside, great if you got carjacked.

C) If you need to start your car without a key, allow remote ignition through the app, a pin or a phone call to Tesla.

I think A) is the easiest solution

A is already done. I agree that B is a potential safety risk.