Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This appears to be in the user manual and perhaps obvious to most people..... but just in case,
When using the traffic aware cruise control feature, when you come to a stop, the car ultimately changes from cruise into hold in about 3 seconds unless you are on a highway. To resume cruise from hold, the dash tells you to put your foot on the accelerator pedal to resume cruise. This approach can be fiddly trying to apply some pressure without actually accelerating manually and I'm sometimes unsure if I've actually re-engaged it - have to look at the dash to see if the Hold label has changed. All minor points but if you just pull the cruise lever towards you, cruise re-engages immediately without needing to tap the accelerator. Thus as the light changes and traffic starts to move you can just pull the lever making your car ready to cruise and then your car will remove the brake and start to accelerate as soon as the car in front of you starts to pull away.

This appears to be in the user manual and perhaps obvious to most people..... but just in case,
When using the traffic aware cruise control feature, when you come to a stop, the car ultimately changes from cruise into hold in about 3 seconds unless you are on a highway. To resume cruise from hold, the dash tells you to put your foot on the accelerator pedal to resume cruise. This approach can be fiddly trying to apply some pressure without actually accelerating manually and I'm sometimes unsure if I've actually re-engaged it - have to look at the dash to see if the Hold label has changed. All minor points but if you just pull the cruise lever towards you, cruise re-engages immediately without needing to tap the accelerator. Thus as the light changes and traffic starts to move you can just pull the lever making your car ready to cruise and then your car will remove the brake and start to accelerate as soon as the car in front of you starts to pull away.

Does it matter how long you remain stopped?
How is the behavior different on a highway?

This has probably already been posted somewhere in the 72 pages of this thread, but I wanted to share that I accidentally opened the door and got out without putting the car in park, and then discovered that for safety purposes the car automatically shifted to park on its own. Awesome!

Unfortunately every time I back up I turn around with my hand on the passenger seat, like I have all my life and apparently my butt comes off the seat just enough to slam the car into park. I wish this feature was not so sensitive, or would allow low speed reversing.

Unfortunately every time I back up I turn around with my hand on the passenger seat, like I have all my life and apparently my butt comes off the seat just enough to slam the car into park. I wish this feature was not so sensitive, or would allow low speed reversing.

Car transport (and probably flatbed tow truck drivers) hate this. I think the ones that transport a lot of Tesla's have some kind of bolster seat so they can lean out the window to watch the wheels are on track without the car going into park.

Does it matter how long you remain stopped?
How is the behavior different on a highway?
3 seconds for normal roads, 30 seconds for freeways

spentan answered for how long before Hold engages and you must pull the cruise stalk or press the accelerator, but in case you meant how long will it stay in Hold, it will do so indefinitely unless/until you hit the brakes manually; cancel cruise control (if your VIN has cruise on/off by pressing in the stalk's button); or change gears. So if you tap the brakes manually at some point, you need to get back up above 18 mph before pulling the stalk towards you will reengage cruise.

I haven't tested this, but am told it won't do this if you keep your seat belt buckled.

I thought that only happens if you have the wiper stalk set to the second or third notch (Auto-Low Sensitivity and Auto-High Sensitivity). I thought the first notch is completely off and the fourth and fifth are manual operations (normal and fast).

Agreed. But you could have your wipers in the second or third setting (- - - - -) or (- - - - - -) and not know it for a long time until it started raining. I never see any mistake swipes on a dry windshield and always keep it in the third setting for 99% of driving. Only if it gets very rainy and I'm going fast will I use the 4th or 5th setting manually. But I never put it to 0.

Agreed. But you could have your wipers in the second or third setting (- - - - -) or (- - - - - -) and not know it for a long time until it started raining. I never see any mistake swipes on a dry windshield and always keep it in the third setting for 99% of driving. Only if it gets very rainy and I'm going fast will I use the 4th or 5th setting manually. But I never put it to 0.

I do the same. Mine is always on the 1 in your description. Thanks!

Sticky Bugs ...
Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.13.34 PM.png

Has anyone else discovered the secret compartment in the trunk? If you reach down the left side there's a nice cavity to store small stuff (I keep my bag of connectors there) however, if you reach in the compartment and run your hand towards the middle of the car...there's a cavity that goes all along the rear of the car. Unless I wasn't thorough, I didn't find another way to access that area....making it a secret compartment of sorts.

Has anyone else discovered the secret compartment in the trunk? If you reach down the left side there's a nice cavity to store small stuff (I keep my bag of connectors there) however, if you reach in the compartment and run your hand towards the middle of the car...there's a cavity that goes all along the rear of the car. Unless I wasn't thorough, I didn't find another way to access that area....making it a secret compartment of sorts.
Are you referring to the under trunk storage, where the rear-facing child seats go in cars that have it?