Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JoshG, does this one still work? I heard it was (stupidly) disabled. In Florida, this would be extremely helpful . . .

G) The Key Fob
1) ALL WINDOWS DOWN:
press and hold the "roof" (middle) button on your keyfob to lower all the windows at once. nice when walking up to a hot car. [JoshG]

Hi Chris,

I just tried it. It doesn't work for my Model S. The remote application will vent the Panoramic Roof and close it.

Larry

JoshG, does this one still work? I heard it was (stupidly) disabled. In Florida, this would be extremely helpful . . .

G) The Key Fob
1) ALL WINDOWS DOWN:
press and hold the "roof" (middle) button on your keyfob to lower all the windows at once. nice when walking up to a hot car. [JoshG]

It had the bad habit of rolling down all the windows when it was pouring rain (happened to me a couple of times). It wouldn't have been so bad if a second press would have rolled them back up, but instead you had to run out and roll up each window.

It had the bad habit of rolling down all the windows when it was pouring rain (happened to me a couple of times). It wouldn't have been so bad if a second press would have rolled them back up, but instead you had to run out and roll up each window.

I can understand Tesla wanting to avoid accidental double-taps opening all windows. Instead of removing the function altogether (forget which release it happened with), I would rather have it be made more of an unlikely sequece. For instance, I seem to recall some of my Checy rentals back in the day would require you to press lock, then tap the auto-start, then press and hold the auto-start, then the car would finally turn itself on. A bit annoying, but lock, tap, tap and hold really did make sure you truly wanted it to start. This could have been set up similarly for the Model S.

I can understand Tesla wanting to avoid accidental double-taps opening all windows. Instead of removing the function altogether (forget which release it happened with), I would rather have it be made more of an unlikely sequece. For instance, I seem to recall some of my Checy rentals back in the day would require you to press lock, then tap the auto-start, then press and hold the auto-start, then the car would finally turn itself on. A bit annoying, but lock, tap, tap and hold really did make sure you truly wanted it to start. This could have been set up similarly for the Model S.

Cyclone, this is the way my Volt Starts - lock, lock, hold start for 2 seconds. My Dad opened the windows to his Cadillac this weekend as we walked up to it and I thought, damn, why can't my MS do that!?

I am now on 6.2 and I'm not sure when some of these were added.

1) Hitting the Park button on the stalk will now cause the door handles to extend if they have retracted. No more hunting for the button on the control panel while someone waits for them to extend.

2) If the driver leaves the car (e.g. to go in a store etc.) with a passenger in the car, the passenger can touch the 17" display to keep the AC/Heat running and to continue listening to music.

3) If a key is left in the car it normally does not lock the doors (door handles do retract, but push on handle will open the door). You can lock the doors with the phone app. This comes in handy when wife wants to leave her purse in the car. Just retried this and it did not work! I guess it worked when key was in a purse and not detected...

4) When navigating to a destination, the left side of the drivers panel is switched to show the route. You can switch away to other views using the left scroll wheel (e.g. if you want to see music or power etc). Turns are still displayed as a small overlay on these other views when directed by the navigation system.

Last edited:
I am breaking your points up a bit to put some more detail around some of them.
1) Hitting the Park button on the stalk will now cause the door handles to extend if they have retracted. No more hunting for the button on the control panel while someone waits for them to extend.
Been there at least since 6.1, if not sooner. That said, newer "old behavior" is that they would extend when you press the park button once. Now, they don't extend on the first press, but then extend/retract with each press there. In essence, putting the car in park no longer auto-extends the handles. This could have been something around the circumstances of your test scenario (if you were already in park vs. not in park yet).

3) If a key is left in the car it normally does not lock the doors (door handles do retract, but push on handle will open the door). You can lock the doors with the phone app. This comes in handy when wife wants to leave her purse in the car.
I accidentally left my key in the car last week and used the app to unlock it. When I went out to the car, I tested the lock by pressing on the handle. It extended. The app clearly showed locked prior to that. My guess it looked for the key fob anyways, which is the default behavior if the key is nearby and 5 minutes have passed with all doors closed. The app simply retracted the lock. I wish there was a way to lock the key in the car and use the app to lock/unlock!

4) When navigating to a destination, the left side of the drivers panel is switched to show the route. You can switch away to other views using the left scroll wheel (e.g. if you want to see music or power etc). Turns are still displayed as a small overlay on these other views when directed by the navigation system.
For the first week I wouldn't change off Nav b/c I was worried about this and didn't want to look at thew 17" screen for directions. When I finally switched away, I was pleasantly surprised at this implementation. Love good, well thought out nuggets like this!

I accidentally left my key in the car last week and used the app to unlock it. When I went out to the car, I tested the lock by pressing on the handle. It extended. The app clearly showed locked prior to that. My guess it looked for the key fob anyways, which is the default behavior if the key is nearby and 5 minutes have passed with all doors closed. The app simply retracted the lock. I wish there was a way to lock the key in the car and use the app to lock/unlock!
You can put it in the frunk and lock the car. It won't be detected there.

Each window button has 5 positions.

Each window button on the driver's control pad has these positions:

Full up. (can release and windows continue)
Up while holding in this position.
Neutral (released position).
Down while holding.
Full down. (can release and windows continue)

You can feel these positions as switch detents.

I was frustrated sometimes at how hard it was to get small movements of windows, they always seemed to be zipping past where I wanted them, and I'd have to do backwards corrections, and all the fuss.

I had thought it was "how long you hold the switch" that determined if the window would do its convenience feature of rolling all the way... but no, it's how hard you pull or push the switch... if you stop at the first detent it is "momentary" action. If you press all the way and release it's "latched" action.

I feel stupid. 7 months of ownership, now?

Don't let this happen to you. :redface:

Each window button on the driver's control pad has these positions:

You can feel these positions as switch detents.

I don't feel any detents. I solved the small opening problem by timing, i.e., full down immediate release, wait a tick (no idea whether .5 sec, .4 sec, .7 sec...), press down again to stop. I normally use this to open the back windows slightly (< 3cm) when on the highway with the pano 100% open, to stop the ear buffeting.

I just found out from V'ger last month that there's a "Comfort" setting on the pano roof (75% open) where there is no buffeting at highway speed. (I feel stupid too, never noticed)

I am now on 6.2 and I'm not sure when some of these were added.
2) If the driver leaves the car (e.g. to go in a store etc.) with a passenger in the car, the passenger can touch the 17" display to keep the AC/Heat running and to continue listening to music.
3) If a key is left in the car it normally does not lock the doors (door handles do retract, but push on handle will open the door). You can lock the doors with the phone app. This comes in handy when wife wants to leave her purse in the car. Just retried this and it did not work! I guess it worked when key was in a purse and not detected...
1,2,4 have been there longer than I've had my Sig I think.

1,2,4 have been there longer than I've had my Sig I think.

Actually, (1) was not there for most of the time I have had my Sig. The handles would extend when you went in to park initially, but would not re-extend once they retracted if you hit the park again. That behaviour has changed. They now extend on subsequent hits of the park button.

I have no idea on 2 and 4, but just recently noticed them.

Actually, (1) was not there for most of the time I have had my Sig. The handles would extend when you went in to park initially, but would not re-extend once they retracted if you hit the park again. That behaviour has changed. They now extend on subsequent hits of the park button.
I never had the need to try this so I can't comment. Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing it!

This has probably already been posted somewhere in the 72 pages of this thread, but I wanted to share that I accidentally opened the door and got out without putting the car in park, and then discovered that for safety purposes the car automatically shifted to park on its own. Awesome!