Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discovered something new in the S. All the vents including the ones in the back will close if you move the horizontal slider to one extreme. Probably a feature inherited from mercs but nevertheless pretty cool. :)
Really??! That's a new one for sure! And I'm not sure I like it. Are you saying you can't shut off one air vent, like the one on the far right (passenger) side of the dash if you have no passenger, in order to direct more air to the driver? If you do it, all the vents will close? that's bizarre. or maybe I'm not understanding you. (i'm surprised those vent louvres have a small motor on them). will have to check it out tomorrow.

lane guidance video while using GPS navigation. Sorry if this has been posted before. It was a nice surprise!

lane guidance.PNG

Really??! That's a new one for sure! And I'm not sure I like it. Are you saying you can't shut off one air vent, like the one on the far right (passenger) side of the dash if you have no passenger, in order to direct more air to the driver?

No, each vent is separate--just like many other cars. This is hardly unique to the Model S.

Sorry if this is a duplicate... I haven't read all 25 pages in this thread.

I discovered the fog lights don't come on unless the car is fully "on". You can get in, sit down and use the touchscreen to turn on parking lights and headlights, but the fog lights are non-responsive until you press the brake to turn the car "on".

No, each vent is separate--just like many other cars. This is hardly unique to the Model S.
Of course... I've never seen a car where the vent louvres would open and close together, which is why the original post had me puzzled. So someone tell me what thie original post by 4sevens means? I'm missing something:
All the vents including the ones in the back will close if you move the horizontal slider to one extreme.
What is this referring to then? What slider can cause all your vents to close?

Of course... I've never seen a car where the vent louvres would open and close together, which is why the original post had me puzzled. So someone tell me what thie original post by 4sevens means? I'm missing something:

What is this referring to then? What slider can cause all your vents to close?

The wording is confusing - "each one of the vents, including the ones in the back, will close if you move...." is clearer.

Here is an Interesting one!

put car in Reverse at crest of a hill - go forward

as you pick up speed you can use the accelerator as a 'brake' now. It will pull regen when you push on the accelerator until you stop and then will use power in reverse as you should be used to.

I assume the max regen will be the hardest you can brake w/ the accelerator but haven't gone fast enough to try it, yet
pretty interesting

that's wild! But I can't imagine it's good for the motor.

But while we're on that topic, I've consciously avoided using the accelerator to hold the car steady while stopped on a (up)hill grade. Maybe it's just my training from driving stick shift ICE cars, but that's very bad for the clutch. use the brake to stop or hold the car at a stop, not the transmission. Should we assume the same holds true for electric motors?

as you pick up speed you can use the accelerator as a 'brake' now. It will pull regen when you push on the accelerator until you stop and then will use power in reverse as you should be used to.

I assume the max regen will be the hardest you can brake w/ the accelerator but haven't gone fast enough to try it, yet
pretty interesting

2) Make sure to keep aspirin on you to give to the poor unsuspecting driver behind you that's getting a heart attack from seeing a car in front of him with its reverse lights on.

As long as the car is in motion, there is probably not much you can do to harm either the motor or or the power electronics. The only possibility of hurting something would be holding the car on a hill using the motor. If the motor is not moving, any electricity sent in will be turned into heat, which could build up in the windings. I'm sure Tesla has this covered though, so if the cooling system cannot extract the heat, then the power levels will be reduced.

-Phil

Zextraterrestrial, that is pretty cool, I'll have to try that one.

I had a problem where sometimes the navigation search would not be able to find locations that I knew for sure it had found before. Today I realized that if you are zoomed in close on Google maps, it will give you fewer results than if you are zoomed all the way out. Not sure if others already figured that out.

Finally figured out how to exit highway in cruise control without harsh regen jerk. I would double click down cruise control stalk three times and cruise control will slow the car down 15 mph smoothly. (One click down for 1 mph, 2 clicks down for 5 mph.) I will keep double clicking as needed for 5 mph speed reduction until I reach the top or bottom of the exit ramp, then judge the last couple feet, turn off cruise from the stalk and let regen bring the car to a smooth stop.

pretty interesting
Haven't tried it on a hill, but last time I tested "coasting down the speed" while reversing on flat ground I got zero regen.

As long as the car is in motion, there is probably not much you can do to harm either the motor or or the power electronics. The only possibility of hurting something would be holding the car on a hill using the motor. If the motor is not moving, any electricity sent in will be turned into heat, which could build up in the windings. I'm sure Tesla has this covered though, so if the cooling system cannot extract the heat, then the power levels will be reduced.

-Phil

I'd like to hear more about this from Tesla Engineering. When stopped at the crest of a steep San Francisco hill, waiting on a red light, since the car has no "hill hold" feature, I find using the go-pedal to hold the car rather more practical than holding with the brake, and then jumping to the go-pedal while rolling back into the car behind me. Is this really a big no-no????????

I'd like to hear more about this from Tesla Engineering. When stopped at the crest of a steep San Francisco hill, waiting on a red light, since the car has no "hill hold" feature, I find using the go-pedal to hold the car rather more practical than holding with the brake, and then jumping to the go-pedal while rolling back into the car behind me. Is this really a big no-no????????

This is also what I've been doing. It's very difficult to move from the break pedal to the Accelerator without rolling back when on a steep hill. Holding it on the Accelerator works quite well.