Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1. I didn't get the footwell cover area when my car was delivered in Jan. I went in and they had a lot (at the time) at the Rockville, MD service center. It is a pretty substantial piece and is well constructed. Just go in to your SC and ask for a swap.

Sweet! Maybe they'll just let me swap this one. Or I could just "forget" it at home since I had to take it out to use the rear-facing seats ;-)

The timer and current are supposed to be stored on a per-location basis, but the charging level limit is universal until you change it again.

Ah... an assumption on my part. Personally I think it would make sense to have that parameter based on location (like Amps and Timer). I may (and do) want to charge to a reduced level for my day-to-day driving, but if I'm out away from home somewhere charging, I would like it to default to a full standard charge.

I've had my auto-tilt mirror settings disappear after firmware updates in the past. Rather than go through the process of putting the car in reverse and re-setting everything, try turning auto-tilt off and back on in settings first. I had to do it a couple times but it worked.

I had them come to replace my handles. After the put the first one in, it doesn't present flush like the originals. They said this was to give a better feel when opening but what it also did was block the led light from shining down on the car body when extended. They did my swap in low light and this was very obvious. I couldn't accept it that way and had them put the old handle back and stop work. Anybody else notice this? The lighting looks so good at night when coming up to the car, the new handle totally ruined that.

The smart phone App allows you to control things like the sunroof, locks, horn and the climate control, even when the car is in motion. This is a great way to make your spouse think their brand new car is either possessed or a technical nightmare. This of course can lead to panic, frustration, accidents, nights on couch, missed exits and getting your daughter to camp late. Be sure to have your kids all load the app too so they can lay on the horn while you are in stop and go traffic - it's fun for the whole family!

But seriously, none of the above things should be allowed when the car is in motion. Yes, I realize you can turn off remote control from in the car (you don't have to tell your spouse right away though....), but that defeats the purpose of having all these wonderful computers making our life easier. It should be simple to lockout certain features if the car is not in Park. That way I don't have to remember to turn Remote off when I get in the car, and turn it back on when I get out so I can use the climate control remotely later that day.

The average Wh/mi shown in the trip display (since last charge) appears to be consistently higher than the average Wh/mi displayed in the energy graph.

I checked this at the 3 distances for the energy graph yesterday, and at each distance the trip display was higher. Either this is a software bug - or the two displays are using different algorithms (trip display could be total usage while the energy graph could be only while the car is in motion).

While I'm inclined to agree, the problem is that the flawed human can sometimes cause harm to innocent third party humans if not protected from him/herself.
Any flawed human behind a steering wheel near a pedestrian can cause harm to innocent third party humans. Should we just prevent all human driving entirely?

Responsibility and accountability. Also, if you're an innocent third party human -- look at the road and the idiots piloting projectiles. Stop staring down at your portal idiot box ("smart phone for dumb people that are likely to get run over") and watch the road as well.

Any flawed human behind a steering wheel near a pedestrian can cause harm to innocent third party humans. Should we just prevent all human driving entirely?

Nope, but it probably does make sense to implement measures that can help reduce harm. If we were all perfect drivers, there'd be no need for seat belts or air bags. (I'm old enough to remember when people were repulsed by seat belts and later mandatory seat belt laws).

My 5 y/o think it's hilarious to turn up the heat full blast via the app when I'm out in the car... LOL

The smart phone App allows you to control things like the sunroof, locks, horn and the climate control, even when the car is in motion. This is a great way to make your spouse think their brand new car is either possessed or a technical nightmare. This of course can lead to panic, frustration, accidents, nights on couch, missed exits and getting your daughter to camp late. Be sure to have your kids all load the app too so they can lay on the horn while you are in stop and go traffic - it's fun for the whole family!

But seriously, none of the above things should be allowed when the car is in motion. Yes, I realize you can turn off remote control from in the car (you don't have to tell your spouse right away though....), but that defeats the purpose of having all these wonderful computers making our life easier. It should be simple to lockout certain features if the car is not in Park. That way I don't have to remember to turn Remote off when I get in the car, and turn it back on when I get out so I can use the climate control remotely later that day.

The average Wh/mi shown in the trip display (since last charge) appears to be consistently higher than the average Wh/mi displayed in the energy graph.

I checked this at the 3 distances for the energy graph yesterday, and at each distance the trip display was higher. Either this is a software bug - or the two displays are using different algorithms (trip display could be total usage while the energy graph could be only while the car is in motion).

I think you're being fooled by the startup spike, by which I mean that first tenth of a mile driven after a charge, where my S often reports 700Wh/mi or more. I've cross-checked the instrument cluster since-last-charge number against the energy graph 'last 30 miles' number: at the moment the former reports 30.0 miles since the last charge, the two values are identical.

We've had some discussion about the various energy displays you may find interesting HERE

Exchanging messages about this with Ownership now. If this is unique to my car - then I'll have the local SC check it at the next service. But if others can reproduce the same inconsistency between the trip and energy graph displays, then Tesla should provide some documentation on the difference between the two average energy consumption values.