Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
florau.jpg

Ridiculous. A car is a depreciating asset that has a used market and use for transportation. When I buy anything, (computer, TV, etc) I know that next year the technology will be better, and the price may be less for the same one I bought.. you need to just drive the car, and enjoy it and not worry about resale value or what the next guy is paying.. you are fighting a losing battle in your head. I have never bought anything and expected it to stay the same next year and the price not to change.

With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

Not sure if I'd line up at the stores overnight or put reservation money.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

I can't even imagine how recent S or X owners feel right now.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

Curious - when did you take actual delivery - in '18 or '19? Did you qualify for the $7500 Fed Tax Credit??

I took delivery a year ago. If I were to buy the exact same car today, my price difference is $1,550 less. Big deal....I enjoyed the car for a year, save a bunch on gas...if you buy from another brand and they give out rebates 3 months later - you can't go back and demand they pay you the rebate. Same goes for anything that goes on sale.

Reactions: StellarRat and Deal
With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

There’s no claim here. You had a contract to pay a fixed price. Consideration was duly exchanged, and you got what you considered in value. The fact someone after you got a better deal doesn’t change the terms of the deal or justify a remedy.

Bottom line in contract, is I can agree to pay you $5 million for a piece of Kleenex. The fact that’s a demonstrably crazy price for it only matters if it shows I wasn’t of sound mind. Here, you seem to be of sound mind and agreed to pay a price.

Curious - when did you take actual delivery - in '18 or '19? Did you qualify for the $7500 Fed Tax Credit??

I took delivery a year ago. If I were to buy the exact same car today, my price difference is $1,550 less. Big deal....I enjoyed the car for a year, save a bunch on gas...if you buy from another brand and they give out rebates 3 months later - you can't go back and demand they pay you the rebate. Same goes for anything that goes on sale.

I bought a Model S and took delivery on 11/24/18. I paid $101,300 plus TT&L for a total of $109,750.

Now the exact same car is $86,000. With sales tax, I took an overnight hit of over $16,000. And guess what, I’m not angry!

For one, I love my car and I’d pay the same price again. And I don’t want to hear complaints about resale value. No one buys a car to sell it in a year. In a few years it will balance out, and your next Tesla will be so much cheaper it will more than make up for it.

Secondly, Tesla is not (or should not be) an elitist group. The mission was to make EV’s affordable to mainstream buyers. This is a huge step in that direction.

Thirdly, I think of the guys before me. I’m not an early adopter, the Model S is almost 7 years old. Those first year or two buyers have cars that cost tens of thousands more than mine with much less performance and fewer features. If they hadn’t adopted early, Tesla wouldn’t have had the capital to bring my car to market. Each generation benefits the next, interesting concept I think.

And finally, Tesla needs to sell more cars to stay in business to help me keep mine on the road. More sales means more service centers, more service staff, and the better service experience we’ve all been asking for.

Anyone who joins a lawsuit against Tesla should be forced to give up their key fobs. Either you are in or your out.

The only way a lawsuit is going to work against Tesla is if you can prove they did something illegal. So far the closest case you could have is false advertising but you'd have a hard time proving it.

Two weeks after we bought our P90D in 2016, with one camera -- ONE! -- they started selling the model with four cameras, suitable for autopilot. The salesman didn't say a word, let us buy a car that was going to lose a fair amount of value in two weeks. I was used to salesmen who'd tell you that stuff, but not Tesla. For a while, I was really angry, not because I wanted autopilot (I've been driving for 60 years and not about to turn the job over to a robot) but because the 4-camera model was selling for the exact same price we'd just paid!

I got over it because 1) I had to, and 2) the Tesla is basically a computer on wheels and anyone who's ever bought a computer knows that you can either 1) not buy a computer or 2) watch your new computer become superannuated right before your eyes in no time.

Why waste your time posting here?

I just never understand what is the fuss about this It is like I am buying a computer and 6 months later that computer becomes cheaper or Why even 6 months say 3 day later there is a sale and it is now at a discounted price so should I really whine about it ? The purchase price is what you paid for at that time..

I mean this is like Oh I bought the house in 2007 when it was really high next year market crashed do I get a refund ?

Cars are a depreciating asset. Do not expect your car to grow in value after you buy it. You probably lost 10,000 dollars as soon as you drove it off the lot. This is the case... forever. Unless you own the first Model T, Model 3, or Pontiac Firebird or something, you are just fooling yourself. And you are actually angry that other people are able to afford an electric car. I bought the total package, and I am not really upset at all that other people are able to buy the 35K model or that there have been price reductions to the M3P or any other options on the car. You are upset that the resale value is going down? A 2011 Honda Civic MSRP was 30 grand and is worth about 5 grand 8 years later. No lawyer or judge in the United States should take a case saying "this product's resale value declined so the consumer should be entitled to compensation". Not really. You do not buy a car expecting it to be an investment. It is one of the most depreciating assets, if not, the largest you will ever buy. It is also rare to literally own a hard asset that is simultaneously a liability but that is what a car actually is, due to the nature of it. Ultimately this comes down to greed.

It has been announced from the very beginnings of Tesla that it is the expressed purpose of the company to bring down the price of electric individual transportation. The intended lower end price of the Model 3 has been announced before it was ever sold. In fact, there were numerous discussions in this forum whether and when lower price versions of the car would become available.

Reactions: EinSV

That is the risk of buying early. Cars are like produce on the shelf, one day they are worth nothing. But at least you can still drive your car, whereas with rotten produce, you can not eat it once it spoils. Leasing might have been a better option for you if it bothers you so much that others get to pay less. Yes, I agree it is very frustrating, but some get lucky once in a while, but don't let it bother you that others got a break, that is all the advice I can give.

The other point the OP shouldn’t overlook is that when he and most of the people here bought their previous non-Tesla car, on the very same day there were likely people in other dealerships paying both thousands more and thousands less for the same car and configuration. Possibly even in the same dealership! Expand that time window to a month or two and some buyers also got manufacturers’ rebates, special dealer incentives, holiday sales or inventory clearance pricing. Did you sue your dealer or previous car maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.