Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Model S, Thoughts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jskenney

Happy Member
Mar 22, 2013
Maryland
I've recently returned from a trip up the east coast in my new Model S and thought I would provide some notes comparing the S90 to my previous cars.

2014 - 60 (vin 33415) with Pano, Air Suspension, Tech Package, HiFi Sound, Cyclone Tires
2015 - 70D (87598) with Pano, Auto-Pilot, HiFi Sound
-> I removed the Air Suspension in favor of the coils, no regrets here, the coils ride really well.
-> I didnt bother with the premium (tech) package, and I really missed the power lift gate on the trunk, the other features such as lit door handles and fog lights were immediately forgettable.
-> Dual motors are amazing
2017 - 90D (18xxxx) with glass roof, Enhanced Auto-Pilot, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
-> I didn't keep the hifi sound thinking I wouldn't notice the difference, and I was really wrong, the difference is remarkable, with lots of adjustments I've found settings that I like, but the hifi sound is so much richer.
-> I got the premium package to get back the power lift gate, not applicable anymore, meh...
-> cold weather package for the wiper defrosters

Interior and Tech:
I couldn't tell the difference in speed between the 3G connection in the 2015 and LTE in the 2017. The screens on 90 (specifically the rearview camera) are sharper with roughly the same quality increase as the change in the gauge screen behind the wheel was between the 60 and 70D. I really miss the button ontop of the cruise control stalk that disengaged it, you now have to move the stick forward to cancel tacc. I also miss the yacht floor, it is nice having cup holders, but I like the open feeling the yacht floor added. The car now has 6 cup holders! Also, absolutely no issues with ezpass, before it was hit or miss through the windshield.

Outside:
My 60 had panel and seam alignment issues, which have not reappeared. The new headlights are quite bright and stand out quite a lot. I don't miss the sunroof (although I have to put my mountain bike in the car now without the roof-mount options that come with the pano roof). The glass roof is so dark it looks like a black roof from the outside, but from the inside its expansive. No issues with any UV or burns through the glass as it is heavily tinted. Whenever the white paint was chipped on the bumper from rocks a bit of black would peek through (from the plastic bumper material), hence now going with a black car (plus I really like the solid black). Removing the front licence plate as proven to be a pain on the new car, needs special tools....

Autopilot:
AP1 was a workhorse, I use TACC for nearly every trip and autopilot on the interstates every so often. AP2 TACC is really good, but every now and then slows suddenly for no apparent reason, hopefully this will smooth out. AP2 Autopilot works but swirves a bit more in the lane then AP1 (and it does not stay in the center of the lane as much as you would like). The steering wheel mechanism between the 2015 and 2017 has changed, with autopilot, the wheel is much smoother to turn in the new car.

Charging:
My 70D lost no miles in range from purchase through trade-in (33k miles), with a 90% of 210 miles each time, I hope to have a similar experience with the 90D. I was averaging ~280wh/mile with the 70, and am now seeing ~250wh/mile in the 90D (I actually was ~180wh/m in Maine driving the slow roads...)

I love the extra range of the 90D, granted that I only need it on the 1 or 2 road trips that I make a year, and it is nice to see how well they have refined the car over the years. Road noise has been reduced with each car, handling is nice.

- As a note, here is a similar thread I wrote when I got the 70D - 70D - great improvements in quality over my 60

The comments about touching up paint are very true. Black is a snap to touch up small chips, but other colors much more difficult -- bordering on impossible. (The same principle applies in other settings. For example, I have a black grand piano and learned from techs years ago that for small nicks a black, permanent magic marker is your friend.)

The comments about touching up paint are very true. Black is a snap to touch up small chips, but other colors much more difficult -- bordering on impossible. (The same principle applies in other settings. For example, I have a black grand piano and learned from techs years ago that for small nicks a black, permanent magic marker is your friend.)

I had a few rock chips on the white 70D on the front bumper, and the touch up paint is useless... I tried once and never bothered again. Thankfully the chips were minor. I have always tried to take care of of the outside, I tend to wash the car after rain storms using a waterless car wash product, I use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All Amazon.com: Waterless Car Wash Wax Kit 144 oz. Aircraft Quality Wash Wax for your Car RV & Boat. Guaranteed Best Waterless Wash on the Market: Automotive which has always left quite a shine.

I had a few rock chips on the white 70D on the front bumper, and the touch up paint is useless... I tried once and never bothered again. Thankfully the chips were minor. I have always tried to take care of of the outside, I tend to wash the car after rain storms using a waterless car wash product, I use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All Amazon.com: Waterless Car Wash Wax Kit 144 oz. Aircraft Quality Wash Wax for your Car RV & Boat. Guaranteed Best Waterless Wash on the Market: Automotive which has always left quite a shine.

I actually use that stuff on my plane. Great stuff! Never tried it on the car....

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Care to share your audio settings? :)

These are the settings that I like for the audio, note that I moved the audio center forward to just in front of the arm rest.

Attachments

• Audio_settings.jpg
    Audio_settings.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: gabeincal