Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts On "Pseudo-Badging"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I de-badged my 85D. In Europe, "D" more or less always stands for diesel. In Belgium where nearly two thirds of all cars (even small city cars) are diesels, polluting our medieval city centers as much as they can (and never mind dieselgate - VW group sales were up a few % last year), my wife and I really didn't want a "D" badge on our car :)

De-badge because it's a cleaner look: cool,
Re-badge to a non-existent model designation: funny/clever/cool
Re-badge to reflect installed equivalent upgrades (i.e. "+" or "Ludicrous underline): cool
Adding the appliance badges as above: priceless

None of the above are claiming to "be something they're not" (although #2 will raise some eyebrows, but the initiated will chuckle at the inside joke)

Re-badging to imply your car is a better/more expensive model than you purchased: lame. Make sure to add some adhesive fake air intakes while you are at it.

Reactions: playoutside
Does the badge just glue on? No holes under the badge?
we are talking about the ones that are glued on which are usually model and engine badges, the logos are usually bolted on and some hardcore people will remove those and have a body shop repair the damages, for the badges that aren't bolted and are attached with glue I use fishing line to pry them off, a little go-gone removes any of the residual glue. heating the area will loosen older installations

• Informative
Reactions: HabitualUser
I tend to agree with you. Since that's the case I have another scenario for you. What if someone wanted to downgrade their model to make folks believe they paid less than they did? Is this still as distasteful?
I tend to agree with @JonathanDandrea that modesty wears much better than braggadocio.

It's even more fun if you do it for a sleeper car...

Reactions: MitchMitch
IMG_0161.JPG I rebadged and I shamelessly upgraded, hope it's not considered lame...

I can see people wanting to de-badge or black out handles and such as a way to drive a Tesla without calling attention to it (might be helpful in not getting vandalized in some areas I suppose or just like a cleaner look). I don't get pseudo-badging at all. Some guys will think you have a suped up Performance model when you don't and want to challenge you on the road. Kind of makes you look silly then. Trying to say you have a more expensive and powerful car when you don't just says something else I think to many people.

Would be kind of funny explaining to the police if you get pulled over and they look at your car closely to see the badging and then at your registration and wonder what's going on. Perhaps giving the assumption one might try to sell the car as something more expensive to rip people off would be another thought. To me it makes the person to look as fake as the car and as someone said why would you find that person believable.

Last edited:
An S60 with 21's and red spray painted calipers plus a fake red "PD" logo looks more the part of a status symbol than a P100DL with 19" wheels and Multi pattern seats. No matter what they say people buy cars in a big part for the status symbol that they represent. If it was just for driving green half of Tesla owners would be in Leafs, i3's or Bolts, etc. Tesla should spend some of that money they up-charge for the P cars and use it to differentiate the P cars with some different body panels, until then people will change emblems and enjoy the prestige.
Astute analysis.
Total agreement here.
This whole topic is totally foreign to any way I can think. I was completely comfortable driving my 30-year old Honda (Acura) Integra until 31 March 2016 when I put down a deposit on a 3, and saw a truck drive into Buena Park showroom with 6 or 7 new Model S cars, and said to myself, hey, I could buy one of those right now, cash.
No "prestige" here-- just want the world to know we are driving two of the best cars ever made.

Those who have removed their badge, please share how you did it! I am interested in doing that, I like the clean look, and the anonymity of the model. Did it come off easily? No damage to the paint?

And at the risk of being super lame, I gotta say... I am so jealous of that 1.21 GW badge. I want one!!!

Reactions: JediNinjaLady
Removing is basically a combination of hair dryer to heat up and soften the glue on the double-sided tape and dental floss to pry the tape away under the badges. Some sort of glue remover is good afterwards to clean the residue. (I actually went ahead an machine polished the spot but that's probably overkill).

Initially I just took off the "P" (the day we got the car), later I took the remaining "85D" off too. Recently I found good use for them:
2017-05-10%2008.57.58_zpsf0ve3xri.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: JediNinjaLady