Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Yoke from Plaid owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TSportline yoke replacement wheels are more expensive but I think they come with the buttons/controls module so you don't have to pry yours out of the existing yoke and risk breaking it. They don't have heating elements, though, so you lose that.

He's out of touch with customer feedback and couldn't care less because he thinks he knows better. There is almost a 1 year wait for the MS LR now, though, and until demand stops outpacing supply, he has no incentive to change.

The reality is that for every one of us that hates the yoke and walks away from their next Model S/X, there are countless others who will place an order because they love the novelty of the idea and/or don't care.
That's why we got to put the word out to people YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND TO BUY A MODEL S WITHOUT A STEERING WHEEL! Maybe that will decrease demand a little bit to the point where Tesla gets the picture. Probably won't hurt either that Elon's probably going to lose billions of dollars with his Twitter fiasco so maybe he'll be forced into doing what he should have done all along, providing people with solutions not problems.

We should all help Elon out and do him a solid by sending a bunch of complaints to the NHTSA. I'll start with the horn, yoke design, and turn signals, all of which have nearly caused incidents for me already. You're welcome Elon! :D

Do you have more details on that wheel? I can add it to the list of wheels that are currently available: List of yoke replacement wheel options

But yeah, I wouldn't expect this to ever change because of what everybody has said:
- Still too much demand for these cars--no reason to change or cater to buyers in any way
- Elon and Franz both sound like they would never accept that they built a horrible user interface. Even though they did.
- Tesla is a very automated-driving-oriented vehicle maker, and I'm pretty sure a lot of these designs were done to cater to automation (I mean full self driving is only six months away, right? At least it's been like that for half a decade now)
Yes but here's the problem with yoke. IT MAKES AUTOPILOT HARDER TO USE! Why is this? Because it's harder to drive it manually. If it's harder to drive it manually it's harder to monitor and take over when you're using autopilot. I actually enjoy using autopilot a lot more in my model 3 with a steering wheel than I did in my model S with a yoke. I feel like I've got good takeover capabilities with the steering wheel with my right hand in my lap at the 4:00 position with a rock solid grip on the wheel. With the yoke it was a joke. Put your hand on the side or on the bottom and neither one gives you much of a grip or reaction time when you need to take control

The TSportline yoke replacement wheels are more expensive but I think they come with the buttons/controls module so you don't have to pry yours out of the existing yoke and risk breaking it. They don't have heating elements, though, so you lose that.

He's out of touch with customer feedback and couldn't care less because he thinks he knows better. There is almost a 1 year wait for the MS LR now, though, and until demand stops outpacing supply, he has no incentive to change.

The reality is that for every one of us that hates the yoke and walks away from their next Model S/X, there are countless others who will place an order because they love the novelty of the idea and/or don't care.
For now at least until it becomes common knowledge that THE YOKE IS A JOKE! I don't think it will take too long.

Reactions: TessP100D
Which wheel is this (for the 3rd time in this thread)? It doesn't look bad, IMO, definitely better than the TSportline version.

Sorry - I don't log in too often. Its a custom one-off wheel made my Unleashed Customs in Los Angeles. Here is their Instagram --> Unleashed Customs LLC (@unleashed_customs) • Instagram photos and videos

I can tell you from first hand experience that having a full 360 wheel in the Plaid completes the car. I'm probably in the minority but I drive this vehicle hard, I've done road courses, I go fast around corners, and I've slid the car sideways in track mode and spun it because a grabbed a fistful of air on my counter steer attempt. From that moment on I was on the hunt for a proper wheel. Without a proper steering wheel you have no way to correct snap oversteer or make split second steering corrections reliably. But like I said, I'm in the minority I'm sure.

If you don't plan on driving this car aggressively on anything but a quarter mile - keep the yoke.

Elon would have to admit he was wrong, which is less likely to happen than Trump admitting he was wrong (on anything). I honestly think Elon is quietly hoping government regulation will force him to offer the regular steering wheel - this way he gets to sell a round steering wheel but doesn't have to admit he was wrong.
I think the CyberTruck will be the test. The prototypes have a yoke but it will be interesting to see if the yoke stays or if they add a wheel option as it comes to production. Backing a trailer will dramatically expose the flaws of the yoke.

They should just give people the option but I agree that hubris will prevent this. Although, people have posted that there is mention of a wheel in the parts catalog so the door is open.

I believe the Plaid that posted a record time at the Ring was fully stock including the yoke. I drive aggressively and rather like the yoke although I do not track my cars.

For those that do, do you believe the time would be even less with the original wheel?
Yes, that lap was set with the yoke. I just watched the entire run. There were 3 turns (out of 170) where the driver had to turn the yoke past 90 degrees in either direction. In those 3 turns the max looked like about 110 degrees.

Yokes work fine when the range of motion is limited. F1 cars, airplanes, and (apparently) the Nurburgring.

But for those of us in the regular world, we regularly use all 2.3 turns lock-lock. As soon as you have to take a hand off of the yoke to continue turning the whole concept falls apart.

For a racing counterpoint, look at the Plaid Pikes Peak run. That course has a number of switchbacks that require much more steering input than the Nurburgring. The driver of that car replaced the yoke with a wheel.

I can also point to World Rally Competition. There is no rule that requires a wheel. I can promise you that at that level of competition, if there was a benefit to using a yoke in their racing, they would have switched. They have not.

I think the CyberTruck will be the test. The prototypes have a yoke but it will be interesting to see if the yoke stays or if they add a wheel option as it comes to production. Backing a trailer will dramatically expose the flaws of the yoke.

They should just give people the option but I agree that hubris will prevent this. Although, people have posted that there is mention of a wheel in the parts catalog so the door is open.
They might introduce variable ratio steering with the CyberTruck and keep the yoke, which would be at least somewhat of an improvement.

Sorry - I don't log in too often. Its a custom one-off wheel made my Unleashed Customs in Los Angeles. Here is their Instagram --> Unleashed Customs LLC (@unleashed_customs) • Instagram photos and videos

I can tell you from first hand experience that having a full 360 wheel in the Plaid completes the car. I'm probably in the minority but I drive this vehicle hard, I've done road courses, I go fast around corners, and I've slid the car sideways in track mode and spun it because a grabbed a fistful of air on my counter steer attempt. From that moment on I was on the hunt for a proper wheel. Without a proper steering wheel you have no way to correct snap oversteer or make split second steering corrections reliably. But like I said, I'm in the minority I'm sure.

If you don't plan on driving this car aggressively on anything but a quarter mile - keep the yoke.
Thanks! Great feedback and will check add Unleashed Customs to my list of potential wheel options.

Pray you never, ever have an oh sh** moment with the yoke that requires rapid hand over hand counter steering corrections. This could happen in everyday driving; tire blowout at speed, accident avoidance maneuver, oversteer while cornering on slick surface. In all of these scenarios the argument over yoke vs round ends.
Pretty sure Elon’s response would be that the car will just make those corrections automatically for you. Probably this year, definitely by next year.

If the CT comes with a real round steering wheel then I’m in. If it comes with a joke yoke… I’m out.

I don't think that you're into minority that your yearning for a steering wheel so you can properly operate your automobile