Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Water glasses on a dashboard is not evidence, it is a flawed high school experiment. Factors to consider are:
- what are the materials the dashboards are made of, does one transmit vibrations differently than another
- how are the dashboards attached to the car, a dashboard with a stronger attachment to the structure will vibrate more
- how far are the glasses placed from the front wheels of the car, a glass placed closer to the CG of a car will vibrate less
- what are the comparative speeds of the two cars at the same point on the road, speed variation can have an effect on vibrations
- roads are not universally uniform, a slight deviation from the same exact same path can have a tremendous difference in vibrations
Then how about you put up a video w/a less "flawed"/better comparison of a Model 3 vs. '11 or '12 Leaf's ride over the same bumpy road (doesn't need to be the same road as the OP's) at the same speeds?

I find it highly likely the the result will be the same in terms of which has the harsher ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Then how about you put up a video w/a less "flawed"/better comparison of a Model 3 vs. '11 or '12 Leaf's ride over the same bumpy road (doesn't need to be the same road as the OP's) at the same speeds?

I find it highly likely the the result will be the same in terms of which has the harsher ride.
No, I have already stated I have no credibility, I have been exposed as a complete enthusiast.

The only way to test "over the same bumpy road" is with accelerometers on a test track set up for such things, and I don't have access to those. Otherwise it would just be yet another flawed high school science experiment.

I have owned cars with a floaty ride and to me, that was a harsh ride.

Youth is wasted on the young. ;)

Reactions: DR61

I'm sure, thank goodness. I can't imagine anybody would actually want their car to handle like a Leaf. I figured it was something people put up with in order to get a really inexpensive EV.

I think the OP should remember how lucky he is to be driving a Model 3 at all at this early time.
Some of us (myself included) will have waited 3+ years since putting down our reservation and paying our deposit before we even get a chance to complain about anything in our new Model 3.

I'd swap with the OP anytime, even if the Model 3 rode like Fred Flintstone's car in the beginning. ;)

I refrained from posting in this thread until I had had personal experience with a Model 3. So...

Personally I love the Model 3 suspension setup.

Also, I absolutely understand why some people hate it.

I like very firm suspension and have frequently chosen tire and/or suspension settings/options to achieve firm but compliant ride.

I drove a Model 3 on smooth roads and on a washboarded, potholed road as well. The control is impeccable and the rough surface control is better than in my SP85D+, the firmest riding S to date. My S has 19” wheels, so did the 3, so the 3 probably had a less forgiving ride than would have one with the bae 18”.

That said I’ll still configure mine with the base wheels because they’ll undoubtably be more durable than the lower-biased optional ones. The ride will be softer too, but I’d prefer the slightly stiffer ride of the 19” wheels.

This seems to be to be a great example of a “First World Problem”. :D

It would be interesting if the OP would redo his experiment after a 1000 miles or so and put the results next to the original ones.
t0152.gif

I responded with what I thought were helpful suggestions on the other thread on this topic over on the Model 3 Owner's Club, but this is sitting less and less well with me as it goes along.

The opinion that softer sprung is better is just than, an opinion. "Better" means that not better is worse, and I strongly disagree that softening the suspension on a mainstream car is necessary. I think that they are almost always sprung more softly than I would like. But, as with the opposite, this is just my opinion.

Agree completely. Tesla is trying to maintain the look-and-feel of a golf cart both inside and out. Model 3 owners should be happy that they've come so close.

• Disagree
Reactions: jbcarioca
Agree completely. Tesla is trying to maintain the look-and-feel of a golf cart both inside and out. Model 3 owners should be happy that they've come so close.

Care to tell me which golf club you frequent? For the time until I can finally get my Model 3 I would love to purchase one of their golf carts, if they are so similar to a Model 3 :p

Reactions: liuping and jgs