Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After renting an early model 3 with 18's off of Turo I have been one of the biggest critics of the harsh ride qualities and after taking delivery of my 3 today with the 19" sport wheels I assumed I would have to do something to tame the harsh ride but I was really surprised that it was night and day different from the rental I had, not harsh at all but taut like what you would expect from a 3 series Beemer or the like.

If my first drive was in my car I would have been wondering what all the fuss was about as well, really glad they got it sorted out and for those worrying the handling would suffer, its still a go cart!

After renting an early model 3 with 18's off of Turo I have been one of the biggest critics of the harsh ride qualities and after taking delivery of my 3 today with the 19" sport wheels I assumed I would have to do something to tame the harsh ride but I was really surprised that it was night and day different from the rental I had, not harsh at all but taut like what you would expect from a 3 series Beemer or the like.

If my first drive was in my car I would have been wondering what all the fuss was about as well, really glad they got it sorted out and for those worrying the handling would suffer, its still a go cart!
My initial thought was the ride was pretty rough too compared to my Model S. 7800+ miles later since January, the ride has considerably softened. Also I believe Tesla has changed the suspension properties since it's initial rollout.

FWIW, nearing 1K miles on my 18xxx VIN and I'm also frustrated being jolted around. It's the worst (i.e. most uncomfortable) suspension I've had since a 3 series Sport model. (Probably the worst, period.) I end road trips with a foot numb from vibration and my shoulders and back taut. Service feels it's normal and has the latest suspension, and we did a ride comparison but with a 9xxx VIN (which might have been pre-suspension changes). On the flip side, Service is committed to making sure I'm happy, so that's very comforting, and maybe they'll figure something out.

That plus wind+road noise is the sole reason I would consider getting rid of it. (And I can give a pass on the wind noise quite likely.) A stretch patchy road on a very well maintained street near my grocery store is one I've driven at least 200 times in my Acura and Fusion and never noticed; it's like offroading in a Jeep in the Model 3.

So, I think it's possible for all of the above replies to be true: 1) some prefer a stiffer ride, 2) it's too stiff for some people, and 3) there may be some solutions/problems yet to be discovered. I hope #3 is the answer in my case. I'll reiterate, I'm not that picky (which is of course what picky people always say :) ), and I love everything else about the car. Fantastic vehicle. So I remain hopeful that this basic issue can be resolved.

Car history, just for reference: '90 Ford 150, 2 BMW 3 series (97, 2006), Ford Escape, Acura TL, Ford Fusion

We have been quite pleased with the ride of Model 3 (vin 74xx). While on the stiff side it is not unpleasant

Awesome :) I truly believe this will be addressed. It's the only [not already acknowledged by service, not within acceptable personal parameters] issue, and I feel confident they'll find it's something simple. I think the more I've noticed the vibration through the pedals has me thinking something unique is going on. It's definitely on the "unpleasant" side, vs "annoying".

I recognize the majority are A-OK with the ride, too, and it's a savvy (dare I say obsessive? :) ) group of owners, so I trust that the general consensus likely represents the reality of it being overall a good experience.

Awesome :) I truly believe this will be addressed. It's the only [not already acknowledged by service, not within acceptable personal parameters] issue, and I feel confident they'll find it's something simple. I think the more I've noticed the vibration through the pedals has me thinking something unique is going on. It's definitely on the "unpleasant" side, vs "annoying".

I recognize the majority are A-OK with the ride, too, and it's a savvy (dare I say obsessive? :) ) group of owners, so I trust that the general consensus likely represents the reality of it being overall a good experience.
For vibration issues try turning off lane assist. I find it often gives false warnings especially on city streets.

Reactions: liuping
For vibration issues try turning off lane assist. I find it often gives false warnings especially on city streets.

Thanks! My previous experience with Lane Assist in the Fusion was felt as a rough shake on the wheel, but some quick googling suggests it manifests differently in the Teslas.

This is definitely felt through the pedals (accelerator primarily of course) and footrest from just city driving. After 20-30 minutes it's like...well imagine holding an electric razor for 20 minutes. Semi-subtle but after long enough it will get pretty awkward. Alternately, think like a roughly paved road vibration...those will drive anyone insane. :) But instead, you feel it (but not hear it) on even long stretches of smooth roads.

I'll check Lane Assist too, just in case there's something there that is contributing. Or maybe someone zip tied something too tight :)

PS: Tires at 38 PSI (hand pressure checked; rises to 42 PSI per the TPMS on the hot highway.)

I find the ride much softer than I was expecting. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. I'm coming from a 2006 BMW 325xi with sport suspension and run flat tires. That suspension was apparently as harsh as could be in comparison, although it didn't particularly bother me. Potholes were kind of rough, I always thought I would have flat tires the way some of the hits felt.. but I never did.

I find the model 3 much more compliant. Maybe a tiny a bit on the bouncy side on rough roads. I think I'll grow to like the ride the way it is, but I was expecting it to be stiffer. The handling still seems good. Low center of gravity is definitely noticeable.

I find the ride much softer than I was expecting. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. I'm coming from a 2006 BMW 325xi with sport suspension and run flat tires. That suspension was apparently as harsh as could be in comparison, although it didn't particularly bother me. Potholes were kind of rough, I always thought I would have flat tires the way some of the hits felt.. but I never did.

I find the model 3 much more compliant. Maybe a tiny a bit on the bouncy side on rough roads. I think I'll grow to like the ride the way it is, but I was expecting it to be stiffer. The handling still seems good. Low center of gravity is definitely noticeable.

Pretty much the same exact BMW I had (not run flat, but low profile, tires). To me, the Model 3 is actually more stiff than that. I'm also like 7 years older now, who knows if that contributes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Too many variables: diff seats, diff age, diff drivetrain/engine/center of gravity, diff perspective of how much the car cost... ;)

Yep. I am coming from a 2013 328i and the Model 3 ride is so much softer and luxurious in comparison. In fact, almost too soft but still with good handling. I was fine with the harshness of the 328i but IMO, the model 3 is a way better because it achieves far greater levels of comfort with only a slight loss in cornering firmness. I am VIN 22xxx and on 18" Aeros.

Reactions: 22522 and goodytx
Yep. I am coming from a 2013 328i and the Model 3 ride is so much softer and luxurious in comparison. In fact, almost too soft but still with good handling. I was fine with the harshness of the 328i but IMO, the model 3 is a way better because it achieves far greater levels of comfort with only a slight loss in cornering firmness. I am VIN 22xxx and on 18" Aeros.

Love the feedback. Doing a long drive today with others in the car so we'll see if I can get a bigger sample size of data! :)

I wanted to chime in. I've had plenty of fit & finish fixes, but my biggest issue is ride comfort.

I think the ride is bouncy, jerky on uneven local roads. On the freeway going 70mph the road noise is louder than it should be. The worst is grooved pavement on the highway, it's way too loud. Pavement smoothness is everything in the M3, annoying bc we all know that most roads and highways are not perfect. This car should handle bumps and groves better at 56k for the general public. I find it a likely deterrent from taking my M3 on a road trip with the family.

Tesla waives the warranty if you change springs that result in suspension related issues. So that's a no go for me. My service center has no solution for me except to lower my psi to 39 from 41. They say I have the new suspension and that there is nothing they can do further. Sometimes I think I got a nice looking civic with instant solid power and NO GAS!.

Last edited:
I wanted to chime in. I've had plenty of fit & finish fixes, but my biggest issue is ride comfort.

I think the ride is bouncy, jerky on uneven local roads. On the freeway going 70mph the road noise is louder than it should be. The worst is grooved pavement on the highway, it's way too loud. Pavement smoothness is everything in the M3, annoying bc we all know that most roads and highways are not perfect. This car should handle bumps and groves better at 56k for the general public. I find it a likely deterrent from taking my M3 on a road trip with the family.

Tesla waives the warranty if you change springs that result in suspension related issues. So that's a no go for me. My service center has no solution for me except to lower my psi to 39 from 41. They say I have the new suspension and that there is nothing they can do further. Sometimes I think I got a nice looking civic with instant solid power and NO GAS!.

Same my friend. 91 mile trip today, 2 passengers, and all I heard the whole way was how bumpy it was, and the road noise and vibration was so bad it had me considering a trade in by the halfway point. It's an amazing car in practically every other way, and I know this can't be the intended experience. Grooved pavement was like a nightmare; so loud and uncomfortable, music had to be at 80% just to drown it out. By very far the worst car I've ever owned, budget, beater, or luxury, in this respect. Smooth pavement, it's quiet as a mouse and rides like a Lexus.

So far I remain in high faith that this can't be standard, else the forums would be lit up and the reviews would have been savage. Still trust the company and service will do whatever they can to make it right. :) Fingers crossed! I'll raise it to executive team if service turns up empty handed.

• Informative
Reactions: 22522
Same my friend. 91 mile trip today, 2 passengers, and all I heard the whole way was how bumpy it was, and the road noise and vibration was so bad it had me considering a trade in by the halfway point. It's an amazing car in practically every other way, and I know this can't be the intended experience. Grooved pavement was like a nightmare; so loud and uncomfortable, music had to be at 80% just to drown it out. By very far the worst car I've ever owned, budget, beater, or luxury, in this respect. Smooth pavement, it's quiet as a mouse and rides like a Lexus.

So far I remain in high faith that this can't be standard, else the forums would be lit up and the reviews would have been savage. Still trust the company and service will do whatever they can to make it right. :) Fingers crossed! I'll raise it to executive team if service turns up empty handed.

I need to order by the end of Saturday.

If you put these tires on today.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=

Test tomorrow.

And provide feedback by Saturday noon, I'll pitch in $100.

Sorry, still on said trip; wish I could though.

And thanks to everyone for being patient with this discussion. I know it's a potentially divisive topic, with completely valid, yet different, personal experiences and opinions.

• Helpful
Reactions: 22522
I was concerned from early reports about ride quality going in, but then my concerns were reduced a bit when I heard they had done some suspension component changes back in December 2017 I believe. Received the car June 1, 2018. After 350 miles I can say I have no problem whatsoever with the ride quality. It's not even an issue. We have grooved pavement in areas here in the Bay Area, and road noise does go up there, but not a ride comfort problem. My C43AMG c class has a firmer and somewhat harsher ride even in the Comfort mode.

Stock tires on the M3 are currently at factory 44/45 psi. I might try lowering them to 41 just to see if it reduces a bit of cabin noise but even that isn't really an issue at all. Car is much quieter than my mercedes. The car is already so quiet.

I've driven literally even single type of car and model and I didn't expect a lexus, or mercedes s class and I didn't expect the firmness or harshness of a 911, but this is no worse than a prius or a BMW i3 or other car with low RR tires or firmer suspension.

Reactions: 22522 and goodytx
I was concerned from early reports about ride quality going in, but then my concerns were reduced a bit when I heard they had done some suspension component changes back in December 2017 I believe. Received the car June 1, 2018. After 350 miles I can say I have no problem whatsoever with the ride quality. It's not even an issue. We have grooved pavement in areas here in the Bay Area, and road noise does go up there, but not a ride comfort problem. My C43AMG c class has a firmer and somewhat harsher ride even in the Comfort mode.

Stock tires on the M3 are currently at factory 44/45 psi. I might try lowering them to 41 just to see if it reduces a bit of cabin noise but even that isn't really an issue at all. Car is much quieter than my mercedes. The car is already so quiet.

I've driven literally even single type of car and model and I didn't expect a lexus, or mercedes s class and I didn't expect the firmness or harshness of a 911, but this is no worse than a prius or a BMW i3 or other car with low RR tires or firmer suspension.

What wheels do you have? 18 or 19?