Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you have video. The cop accelerates just a fraction of a second before your blinker comes on, but the cop has plenty of time to slow and maintain a safe follow distance. Doesn't look unsafe at all. Just not considered polite. It agitates some people. It'll be up to the traffic court judge to decide what is legal, etc. but you have a puncher's chance!

Ummmm, isnt that their job ? Shouldnt you say thanks for actually being out looking for DUI's on the road ? Oh, I forgot, its 2020, every single minuscule thing cops do is malicious and wrong and we should complain and get them fired.

After looking at the video, you seriously think OP's driving warranted being pulled over for reckless driving?

That is a common misconception on what the NOA settings do. If you have it set to Mad Max, that just means it will decide to change lanes sooner than if it was on normal. It does NOT mean that it will be more likely to cut people off, just that the car will try to begin a lane change with a smaller speed differential between you and the car in front of you.

Thanks for the clarification that "Mad Max" is about the car in front not about cutting off the car in the adjacent lane.

However, as @SlimJim points out on the video at around 1:10, the driver was on the right and the officer just passed the intersection and was on the left lane. Her intention due do the acceleration seemed to about to overtake the driver from far away but the driver prevented the officer's acceleration by moving into the officer's left lane.

That happens to me very consistently: If the system sees the accelerating car was far enough, it would go ahead and do an Auto Lane Change.

On the other hand, if the accelerating car was speeding fast enough to about to collide with me, the system would not complete the Auto Lane maneuver. Although the system is safe, but the adjacent lane car might not feel the same way and if that car happens to be a police car, I am afraid I'll be ticketed just like in this case.

Good thread. Video does show it might have been a bit closer than a cop or ordinary drive liked to be cut off. This time it was a coincidence that change of lane happened when the car behind wanted to accelerate and that car was a cop. Good luck in court, unless you hire a pretty good lawyer, i doubt you have a good chance. But incident afterwards, yeah you should not let it slide. I am glad there is a video that you found it. Make sure to keep backups of them.

After looking at the video, you seriously think OP's driving warranted being pulled over for reckless driving?

The officer was accelerating from far away but had to stop doing so because the driver blocked her.

So cutting off did happen in this case even though the officer was very far away and it was completely safe for Tesla to cut her off.

However, although it was safe, that doesn't mean the officer would appreciate the feeling of being cut off by a civilian.

I would say, in this case, she was quite bothered by that fact.

Regardless of how the officer felt, the ticket is "MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY".

So the question now is: Was the lane change safe when the officer had to yield the Tesla by abandoning her acceleration?

The collision was definitely not imminent even if that patrol car was driven by a brand new traffic school student because there were enough time and distance for that student driver to take the foot off the accelerator.

So this case is about: the officer's feeling was hurt when she couldn't pass the Tesla vs the lane change was still safe even when the officer didn't like it.

I think the officer will get much sympathy to be right in this case so the driver definitely needs a very good lawyer.

If the driver has the money, it's worth it to go through the court because the officer should enforce the law for safety, not her feeling of being unable to pass the Tesla!

Normally the cop (or any car in that lane) would have the right of away and you can not change lanes in front of them without a safe distance between the cars. However, if a car is exceeding the speed limit (cop in this case) they give up their right of way.

Since you were going the posted speed limit, any car gaining or passing you would be speeding.

Legally, if you are driving the speed limit you should not expect another car to pass you. (In reality this is not the case.)

It is illegal to speed and speeders are always the at fault driver. No exceptions for police unless responding to any emergency.

Thats how it is in Michigan.

After watching the clip, the tesla does act a little suspicious from 1:10 to 2:30. As an owner of a FSD MY, I know what the autopilot is doing, or trying to do. But there is no way a random cop would figure out why someone would switch into their lane as they are accelerating to pass, and then immediately signal to switch back to the original lane, for over a minute. Did it warrant a pulling over? No. But cops have pulled over others for far less suspicious driving. I still say, take it to court. Being butt hurt over someone moving into "your lane" is no excuse for civilian road rage, let alone a cop trying to flex her muscles.

Reckless driving? No way! The car drove just fine. Judging from the white lines there was 40 feet when you switched lanes. The cop thought she owned the road without her lights on and was pissed that you didn't cower in fear from her presence. She sped up a little more when she saw your turn signal. Then she followed you, for a distance that could only be called harassment, hoping to write you up for something. Real reckless drivers don't get to keep going for 3:33 they get pulled over right away. On top of it 4 cops showing up for a traffic violation is absurd and the bio-terrorism of not wearing masks is downright criminal! Best of luck in your case!

Considering the truly awful driving i see on freeways on a regular basis it seems petty to me that this guy got pulled over.

Agreed - not sure why you disliked my post that said the same thing though ;)

So this case is about: the officer's feeling was hurt when she couldn't pass the Tesla vs the lane change was still safe even when the officer didn't like it.

I think the officer will get much sympathy to be right in this case so the driver definitely needs a very good lawyer.

Yea i think the lane change could be considered rude perhaps, but not necessarily reckless. Agree that it may be tough to fight the actual ticket though.

I would blame NOA for this whole fiasco.
The cop here is not completely unreasonable or unusual. I know a guy who got pulled over and got a ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit. Guess what? He passed the police car. LOL. Do not challenge cops' authority or hurt their ego.

Yeah, that's why everybody else was letting the cop pass.

Didn't want to do even a mile over the speed limit and, based on the earlier tailgating behavior, they figured she'd pass and be on her way. The slower driver that NoA decided to pass was clearly not going that slow since they took so long to pass. In hindsight, better choice would've been to override NoA and stay in the right lane for the upcoming exit, regardless of the passing cop. Verifying what NoA is doing (even if you gave it permission to act without confirmation) is always the driver's responsibility.

That said, nothing on this video would warrant a ticket as far as I understand the law. Maybe an unnecessary lane change raised the hackles and maybe the long signal further annoyed but racing up to pull you over that long after seems unreasonable and that doesn't even include everything described by the OP after.

The slower driver that NoA decided to pass was clearly not going that slow since they took so long to pass.

Without the forward cam, we don't know what that slower driver was doing. They could have sped up the moment NoA switched lanes to pass them, then slowed down again as they realized a cop was in the left lane behind the Tesla trying to pass them. All we do know for sure is, autopilot did a fairly quick signal and lane switch, then tried signaling to get back into its original lane. Maybe that turn signal prompted the slower car to speed up? Human nature and all, "can't have anyone pass me!"

The pull-over happened in a single lane with double yellow center line.
What did the traffic do for one hour when this was going on?
Were they allowed to cross the center line?

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 10.23.36 PM.png

Reactions: jroydog
I'm simply not seeing anything that warrants a person being pulled over.

The left blinker goes on well before the lane change ever begins in fact I'd say its excessive due to the OP using unconfirmed lane change. It was simply bad timing in terms of when the cop was accelerating, and the cop should have realized this.

I expect this case to get thrown out.

Now that being said I hope the OP in the future improves both his situational awareness, and never allows the auto-lane change to change lanes without him knowing exactly what it's doing.

The other thing I would advise is to improve his butt-kissing capability. It's really inexcusable for a white 66 year old not to butt kiss to such a point that the cop simply lets him off with a warning.

Sure I can understand wanting the cop to wear a mask, and I can understand feeling innocent. But, in that moment you gotta pucker up. Put your license, insurance card, and registration on the dash before the cop even gets to your window. Then when the cop says what you did wrong you respectfully apologize, and don't ever blame autopilot or the car. Simply say you misjudged, and that you're sorry.

Plus we're in the mist of anger against the police so any kind of gratitude towards them would have gone a long ways.

People can disagree all they want, but all the tickets I don't have proves my strategy.

The officer was accelerating from far away but had to stop doing so because the driver blocked her.

So cutting off did happen in this case even though the officer was very far away and it was completely safe for Tesla to cut her off.

However, although it was safe, that doesn't mean the officer would appreciate the feeling of being cut off by a civilian.

I would say, in this case, she was quite bothered by that fact.

Regardless of how the officer felt, the ticket is "MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY".

So the question now is: Was the lane change safe when the officer had to yield the Tesla by abandoning her acceleration?

The collision was definitely not imminent even if that patrol car was driven by a brand new traffic school student because there were enough time and distance for that student driver to take the foot off the accelerator.

That's exactly how I see it.

A cop without his lights doesn't own the road anymore than anyone else. And it's not illegal to make a car that is going over the speed limit (or even the speed limit) slow down a little bit. It's disingenuous to call it unsafe. At no time was a collision imminent.

The OP needs to take this to court and get it dismissed. Maybe the cops that aren't the brightest bulbs in the room will figure out it's not a good idea to hassle law abiding Tesla drivers because most of them are running not only dash cams but 360 degree cams.

I think you can get the ticket dropped if you challenge it based on the video. As for the case against them for harassing you -- I don't think it's practical -- the cost of pursuing is probably much more than the damage caused by being pulled over and talked to for about an hour. It's a holiday weekend, it's credible that the autopilot's actions raised a reasonable suspicion that you were intoxicated and thus the cop pulled you over. *sugar* happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.