Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for repairs have made Tesla a laughing stock in my family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an accident on Oct 2nd: a car turned left from opposite direction in front of me and I could not stop, entirely his fault that he admitted, as a result I do not even need to pay my deductable, insurance covers all my repair costs.

However, the repair time is another story...
I got a quote that it will take ~30 days work to repair after the parts have arrived, which they estimated to 2 weeks. Unfortunately, 2 weeks later I was told that some parts will only be available by 31st of December -- that is 3 months to get some parts from Tesla for repair!!!

I am a big fan of Tesla and waiting patiently, but my friends and family all think I am crazy to put up with this :(

Does @JonMc even exist any more? A while back he posted on another thread an offer to help with repair issues but I PM'd him a month ago and got no reply. This also makes me doubt the utility of

I am now fully two months into my repair saga, hoping to get my car back before Christmas but without a firm (or, really, even estimated) date from the shop. At least they believe they have all of the parts they need at this point, there's just a ton of labor (plus a bunch of painting at the end) that only proceeds at five hours per work day.

While the duration of these repairs is certainly aggravating, I think the big issue for Model 3 owners is going to be the cost, as reflected in outrageous insurance premiums for Teslas. The TCO for the Model 3 will eventually obliterate any notion that it is an "affordable" car, just because the initial purchase price might be more reasonable.

I love my Tesla. Currently I have a Model X and I traded my Model S for it. After driving a very nice 2017 Camaro SS from Enterprise while my car was it for annual service, I love the Model X even more. The issues such as the "shudder" under moderate acceleration (that Tesla cant seem to fix), the poor charge rate at Superchargers and seeing all the reports about parts availability have dampened my enthusiasm for Tesla. ---I can live with these issues but a lot of people can't! Even GM can get almost any part in less than a week, surely Tesla could do as well as GM!!

Make no mistake. I love the car and the company and what Tesla stands for. I will keep the car, probably for a very long time, even if my family thinks I’m crazy. But I will not give Tesla a pass for problems that they need to address.

The repair time problem is obvious and the source of many complaints and it doesn’t seem that much progress has been made. And Tesla pays a price for this — compromises in reputation of the company. And the word of mouth on this has to be very harmful — I know my sons and wife will talk about my poor repair experiences with their friends.

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Please contact Body Shop Support and they will hop right on the repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order.

I'm glad yore monitoring the forum. Could you comment on two observations?

1) The only part I've ever ordered from Tesla was a windshield for my 12/16 Model S. It took 3 weeks to ship. Statistically, if 95% of your parts ship within 4 days, my only experience ordering parts is likely more than two standard deviations outside the mean. That just seems odd. Have things drastically improved recently? If so, why? This could be encouraging and should be publicized.

2) I see you've been a member of this forum for several years, but only posted 13 messages. Why so few? These threads could use more of your assistance.

Thank you

this is why I currently have a hard time recommending an S or actively trying to get referrals, I spent several years doing it but am over it. I love my car as long as there are no problems with it but am a bit tired of terrible communication and have had been waiting to hear back from service for over 2 months for my sunroof that was almost fixed twice in early summer. It did seem ok for a week but is still having tracking problems. would be nice to get a response some day...

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Please contact Body Shop Support and they will hop right on the repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order.
so what are there 5% of the parts that take weeks or months to ship?
My friend crashed a CPO P85D in norhtern CA and has been waiting on parts for months. the shop now has 280 of the 380 parts needed

Reactions: neroden and David99

This confuses me. Body shops are certified. All cars under repairs should be trackable by VIN. Tesla networking should know that the car is sitting. Why must the owner be proactive in requesting help on parts backordered for months?

Running trains in a vacuum should come after proper tracking and inventory systems.

This also scares me. Fortunately I've been relative incident free. It did take me 3.5 weeks to get a new windshield when mine cracked. No big deal but not great if it is something critical next time.

It worries me too, hearing all these horror stories, but I guess I’ve been fortunate. I suffered a stress fracture on the windshield a few weeeks ago and Tesla replaced it the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and TravisT
FWIW, my wife got rear ended in my Model S back in the summertime and it required the replacement of the bumper cover and one or two of the trim pieces and the process took roughly 1 month from the time of the accident to fully repaired. We were without the car for only 5 days I think it was. All in all, I felt like the process was very streamlined and straight forward.

To be 100% clear, I am NOT defending Tesla's handling of the OPs situation as that's simply indefensible. I'm simply providing an alternative data point and it's important to note that my damage wasn't nearly as extensive.

Jeff

IMHO, part availability (and thus delivery times) should be much better with Model 3, not worse. Much higher volumes = many more parts, generally warehoused over a much wider geographic area. I have a Gen1 Honda Insight, a relatively rare car, and yeah, while common parts are easy to come by, if you want some gen1 Insight specific parts, you better be willing to wait.

Reactions: TravisT
This thread just emphasizes the "know what you are buying" concept for me. It just isn't a fully-baked vehicle experience in comparison to traditional ICEs. Someone mentioned Tesla should be as good as GM... I don't expect them to be even close when it comes to parts or expertise on repairs. The car companies have been around a long time and have a global 'machine' when it comes to this process. Even with all of that they still don't get it right all the time.

Tesla is just a brand new 'green shoot' of a technology company. Like a newborn fawn, they are standing on shaky legs.

Still sucks about the OP and other's repair issues and it has me awaiting my imminent S delivery with a new sense of caution when I'm out on the roads.

So when I hear "only 5 days" for minor body work, or it takes days/weeks/months to get a windshield, I cannot understand it.

This is a high end repair shop working on aluminium that requires heating, reshaping, priming and painting. Research aluminium repairs and you will find out that you 5 days for minor body work is not unusual:

"Aluminum repair or removing a dent is a time-consuming process. It’s not the same amount of time as a steel dent and is more labor intensive. Aluminum is very strong and, when a panel is damaged, it’s formed to the damage. This work hardens the aluminum, making it really strong. Repairing the damage without damaging surrounding metal can be difficult. Heat is often used to soften the aluminum to reform the panel. The use of heat must be regulated so as not to destroy the aluminum."

The owner of the shop explained it all to me in detail and I sure wouldn't want to rush the repairs. I could have had it back in 4 days but my mag was also damaged and it was sent out for repairs and not back in the shop yet. Plus, he said it was best to give the paint another day to cure inside the shop since it was raining.