Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips to make it home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did as KerryOH suggested. When I got to the garage it was down to 6 miles. They let me plug into a 120 outlet and I went for a long walk. When I got back over an hour later it was up to 13 miles. I tried ChargePoint, which was not too far away, but there was only one station and someone was there. I realized though, that going to that ChargePoint location brought me closer to a supercharger location. So I went there, with 5 miles left, filled to 60 miles in minutes and was able to drive home with no problem. I did turn off the AC when driving to the ChargePoint. Not sure if there was anything else I could have done to use less electricity.

Reactions: KerryOH and Dre78
I did as KerryOH suggested. When I got to the garage it was down to 6 miles. They let me plug into a 120 outlet and I went for a long walk. When I got back over an hour later it was up to 13 miles. I tried ChargePoint, which was not too far away, but there was only one station and someone was there. I realized though, that going to that ChargePoint location brought me closer to a supercharger location. So I went there, with 5 miles left, filled to 60 miles in minutes and was able to drive home with no problem. I did turn off the AC when driving to the ChargePoint. Not sure if there was anything else I could have done to use less electricity.
Chill mode, use as much regen as you can.
Drive slowly...

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Drive with climate off and take it easy accelerating. I have trsveled on 0% on many occasions even in extreme cold going over 10km on 0% and it still had enough throttle for highway speeds.

I DO NOT recommend running your car on low charge

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-25-21-47-12-878_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-25-21-47-12-878_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 90

Assuming you did not have any elevation to deal with, you would have been fine driving to your house 7 miles away if you turned off climate control completely, with 6 rated miles remaining (I’m assuming you have RWD or AWD non-P), assuming it was not freeway miles (you probably would have been fine driving 50-55mph though).

Elon says you have about 5 miles of rated range remaining after you hit zero. (He tweeted this a few weeks ago.)

I would not make a habit of this battery stress testing, and I would not have tried it if there was any significant elevation gain on your drive home. If there was loss you would be fine if course.

I assume you lost a bunch of miles because you had Sentry mode on (expect to lose 20 miles a day or so), or you have an app which is not allowing your car to sleep (apps are fine, but you have to make sure they are not configured incorrectly to allowing you to hit the 3-4 miles per day vampire loss).

Avoid discharging your car below 10% (~30 miles for 75kWh battery) on a regular basis, if you can do so without inconveniencing yourself. It’s better not to deep discharge routinely, but if you must it is probably fine as long as you recharge immediately.

Exactly! I have the same question for @RobbL. Looking at the time stamps of the two posts, it seems like a 15 mile vampire drain in 6-8 hours. That seems rather high. Why is that?

It happens all the time. It's not vampire drain, it's likely "feature drain". It's probably just Sentry mode; since the OP is in Oakland it is basically required! ;) Apps can also be configured incorrectly and keep the car from sleeping. Idle mode in the Tesla is about 200W, possibly a little more, so minimum 4.8kWh every 24 hours, which is 20 miles per day. So over 10 hours or whatever, it would be very easy to lose 10 miles from Sentry drain (which isn't far from what he saw - he lost 15). Take into account a little post-drive battery cooling in a chilly 50-60 degree garage, and nonlinearity in the BMS estimation at low SoC, and everything makes sense mostly.

App issues would result in the same behavior as Sentry - car never sleeps, contactors always closed, computer on, HV-12V DCDC converter on, windshield heater on, parking sensors on, all cameras on.

Drive with climate off and take it easy accelerating. I have traveled on 0% on many occasions even in extreme cold going over 10km on 0% and it still had enough throttle for highway speeds.

I DO NOT recommend running your car on low charge

Bold! Sounds like you probably were pretty close to completely empty on that 10km past 0%, according to Elon...any particular reason this happened?

I drive so my estimated range on arrival is 5%. Then drive 76mph. If it drops to 4 I go to 70. If it drops to 3 I go to 65. 2 60 and 1 55. If you start the drive at 0% and their are no superchargers, Start at 55mph and you'll likely see that 0% raise to 1% and keep going as you drive.
On a day where the outside temp matches my interior temp I can do a roundtrip drive with 100% efficiency by driving 70mph on the freeway, This will vary by your cars configuration. mine is dual motor with aero wheels.

Okay, let's see here.....

21 is more than 7. In fact, 21 is three times as much as 7. So chances are you will probably make it.

I've run my 3 to 0 miles a couple times, including once in sub-freezing cold where I didn't have much choice. The car will limit acceleration if you get too low. Don't worry about it. A good run down to 0 miles and then charge to 100% once in a while is how the battery pack keeps balanced.