Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tire service lift pad adapter speciality tool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it sounds weird but for tire rotations, doing only one side at a time is safer as most tire shops don't have the right drive on lifts, Most have drive on that are too short to reach the lift points and can lift into to the battery pack or side skirts doing damage.
its much safer to lift from one side, might sell less jack pads but its what I would do.

I realize I'm derailing the topic here a little, but they used 4 floor jacks to lift my car.... It was slow work that day for them it seemed and perhaps the availability of the 4 pads along with 4 floor jacks made their decision easier to make.
0FydNsMmK6yLuSW_mLuue1nGZ4uVJW3w8aRahvtY88lQ0_LlWYCZj1x4oRJFD6wf9MX3xYzA8Tv9aEvCIDgG1QNhPAkoAJNX8b-9nGZanfL9U5FpoWYn-3bZOELdGMw7tBfNRrCXfU-OYHzRR4X4jxr_p1RBXEkZxbYEsKfJT7l3HSzjHKLTvUJxgG3fJy5l2zvIpNOsRcd5ZLhmPZbCtuAZhceoP0wY9FS0sWDG8Xj1eL6hBxmbPvp18F3IvRfnQ3D_u6zf2DBJ1G-YiEH7vu84JwBwktlfGYUFnpu5DgU3jvu0MFFDlGX7mH8zsvuPRK8FfgmXc_q61En1rXeRC8Ug5t3UBwvQEHJbFUAKNV6Xl20RP6m4l0-602k8bbiqevMJs9g4Hmv8_8sHqTgZA1ulyMGtrt6HaRH0rBOVKHbjvC5UIy8Q5t-62q_f0Iq-k-rRtggecbJ2l6JbgSkEhvZnSCDgpzu1JUh9mlJDn8qWWrTyUPHG4cxzdylAmOVg79Nvhcb9_SLkfEzym4Q82Mojwpy-uwB6WdbMBvCazSxcODT54McoVnwvyQAOGkyZ7L77TJ1EKTHSpTuG8YfdPxiQSfAQf1qI2-sY26petjRUDu8nD7TSmPSlb5SD1eHv5cqMGEJBfyK_P9qg89B-dF7NRkOT0_SZUCK0VR-aQgSKSApowQJag_zfqw4lFCk=w1043-h783-no

Either way - I'm more than happy that I have 4 of them.

@jughead,
I prefer to do my own work as I find most shops can't or won't, properly torque the lug nuts. I have the older style nuts with the swaged stainless steel covers that are damaged by one trip to the tire store.

Here is my solution. It works at home, and on the road, if I add a spare wheel/tire. All except the spare wheel would if in the sides of the trunk, or subtrunk.

Note the index points for the jack cup as well as car jack pad.

Total cost, 60 bucks including jacks, which are AC Delco brand with a year warranty available at most auto parts stores.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Not sure why the pic did not take..
see below:

Wait--are you saying you pack not one but two floor jacks in the car? Those things may be more compact than I've realized.... I'd never considered using one of that style on the side of the road, I thought they required a concrete floor?? If they (a) work in an emergency roadside scenario and (b) are compact enough to reasonably carry around in the frunk... I may not have an issue after all. Do you have a link for the brand/model you show there--is just "AC/Delco 2T floor jack" all I need?

Note the index points for the jack cup as well as car jack pad.

Not sure what you mean by "index points"--is that the "stubs" that fit up into the jack point?

If that's the case, than I just need to find the appropriate jack. Looks like you do nice work (and have better tools than I do) on that wood--but, it the jack piece of the puzzle is a non-issue , then I'd sooner go with the Murphy's Law product than wood. Hell, the magnets alone would make that preferable to me....

Two indexes (Oak dowels) fit into the circular recesses in the car jack point. Optional to use cork stoppers, which will wedge in holes and help keep the adapter in place.

One index (Oak dowel) on other side fits into the cup of the floor jack.

Dowels bonded with wood glue to 1/2" thick red oak clear board. Over coated with left over epoxy laminate resin, for looks and weather proofing.

You could use 1/4 inch 6061 T4 Alum, 1010 low carbon steel, and make the indexes out of washers, held with screws.

A lot more work, and cost. Heavier, and will damage something if you drop it.

Jack is recent purchase. You must get a low clearance model, and put the car suspension on high before engaging jack mode. That is why I did not use a 2 x 4 for a jack pad adapter, not enough room unless you have a very low clearance jack which is $$$.

Jack (AC Delco 2 ton) part number appears to be 34136. Weighs about 15 lbs.
1587595937563779842416050895498.jpg
Unless on very soft sand, jack will not sink into the ground past the rails. You could carry two pieces of 1 x 8 fence board 18" long just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
Two indexes (Oak dowels) fit into the circular recesses in the car jack point. Optional to use cork stoppers, which will wedge in holes and help keep the adapter in place.

One index (Oak dowel) on other side fits into the cup of the floor jack.

Dowels bonded with wood glue to 1/2" thick red oak clear board. Over coated with left over epoxy laminate resin, for looks and weather proofing.

You could use 1/4 inch 6061 T4 Alum, 1010 low carbon steel, and make the indexes out of washers, held with screws.

A lot more work, and cost. Heavier, and will damage something if you drop it.

Jack is recent purchase. You must get a low clearance model, and put the car suspension on high before engaging jack mode. That is why I did not use a 2 x 4 for a jack pad adapter, not enough room unless you have a very low clearance jack which is $$$.

Jack (AC Delco 2 ton) part number appears to be 34136. Weighs about 15 lbs.
View attachment 534847 Unless on very soft sand, jack will not sink into the ground past the rails. You could carry two pieces of 1 x 8 fence board 18" long just in case.

SUPER information, thank you, aerodyne!!

You underestimate my laziness if you think I'm going to attempt to make this out of wood, let alone aluminum. Murphy's Law is selling his for $25, and I trust his craftsmanship far more than my own--that's a no brainer, if I can get the jack piece solved...

...which, thanks to you, appears to be the case!

Now I just need to figure out what he's talking about with the lifting point of the jack. I see he emphasizes the "flat" kind, vs the "cup" kind--but, I don't know what those are called. This looks like a steal:

2 ton Compact Trolley Jack

But, it appears to have the wrong kind of lifting point (as does the one you have)?? Can you help me ID the "right" kind, or at least the right terminology to search on?

SUPER information, thank you, aerodyne!!

You underestimate my laziness if you think I'm going to attempt to make this out of wood, let alone aluminum. Murphy's Law is selling his for $25, and I trust his craftsmanship far more than my own--that's a no brainer, if I can get the jack piece solved...

...which, thanks to you, appears to be the case!

Now I just need to figure out what he's talking about with the lifting point of the jack. I see he emphasizes the "flat" kind, vs the "cup" kind--but, I don't know what those are called. This looks like a steal:

2 ton Compact Trolley Jack

But, it appears to have the wrong kind of lifting point (as does the one you have)?? Can you help me ID the "right" kind, or at least the right terminology to search on?
Looks to be a HF knock off of what I have, and a few dollars more. I don't care for Hazard Frought Tools!!

Just fill in the cup with rubber pad, or round dowel with rubber washer or pad, so the jack cup edges do not dig into the adapter.

Regardless of what you use, you must make sure the jack goes low enough to fit under the adapter! Another reason why I made my own. Most of the low rise Jack's with the wide pad are large, heavy and north of 170 bucks (at HF!)

BTW, wood only needs 4 saw cuts per adapter, one if you use corks. Ruler, chair, hand saw is all you need.

Got a question, and the vendor won't give me a straight answer on dimensions--apparently he thinks an answer anyone who has one could provide in 10 seconds flat with a tape measure represents a trade secret.... :rolleyes:

Can someone who has these (MS version) please measure the "thickness." I don't mean overall height, but, rather, the height of the main rectangular pad, excluding the "pegs"--i.e., how much space do you "lose" under the vehicle when installed? Need to make sure I pair my jack & lift pads correctly....

Well three years ago when i started making tire service tools for the Tesla models I didn't think it would be an endeavor that would last this long but luckily it did as it helped my roadside assistance company thru some hard financial times. I recently produced the 10,000 unit and sent it out as a surprise to a great customer. So many things I've learned over these three years, things i would have never gotten into without this venture and I'm a better person and business owner for it.
This corona virus has devoured many businesses and it looks like my jack pad business may be its next victim, sales have almost fallen off 95% and producing them as I've dine since the first I've done all myself apart from the cutting of the rubber pieces. Im not sure how much longer ill be manufacturing these at this rate and sadly I've set my sales at a break even price point just to get some funds back out of what I've already produced.
If/when i do stop selling i ill have a few dozen put aside for any warranty issues. I would like to thank the Tesla community for its steadfast belief in my products and support of my small business.
I am running a 30% off sale shortly so get them while there on their last sale.

Thank you
James Williford