Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tired of the $100,000 Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. What wheels do you use? My ride was a bit uncomfortable but after I switched from 21" to 19" it's on par with a BMW 540i I would estimate. I also have air suspension.

Still can't sleep due to all the rattles, squeaks and whirs though, but that's a different story.
I have 19s. It's all the little constant bumps that transmit directly into the cabin. I can handle the occasional bump from a manhole cover or whatever, but the near constant sharp jiggles from everything else is just aggravating, like there is no compliance in the suspension at all. I wonder if I got some spare 'plus' suspension components because they ran out of the standard components while my car was on the line.

I have 19s. It's all the little constant bumps that transmit directly into the cabin. I can handle the occasional bump from a manhole cover or whatever, but the near constant sharp jiggles from everything else is just aggravating, like there is no compliance in the suspension at all. I wonder if I got some spare 'plus' suspension components because they ran out of the standard components while my car was on the line.
Are you over inflating the tires? I know for a short time, Tesla put 50 PSI as the recommended pressure, but my August 2015 build 90D has 45PSI on the door sticker. 5 PSI can definitely harshen the ride.

I have coils, but have driven air suspension during test drives and with loaners, and I don't have an issue with the suspension on either.

My wife and kids have slept fine on several long (greater than 500 mile) road trips.

Are you over inflating the tires? I know for a short time, Tesla put 50 PSI as the recommended pressure, but my August 2015 build 90D has 45PSI on the door sticker. 5 PSI can definitely harshen the ride.

I have coils, but have driven air suspension during test drives and with loaners, and I don't have an issue with the suspension on either.

My wife and kids have slept fine on several long (greater than 500 mile) road trips.
Played around with a bunch of different psi from 38 up to 48 but I keep it at 45 now which feels the best.

Reactions: Chopr147
So EM's statement some time back that a Tesla model "S" can be updated is false. What he should have said that some Model "S" can be updated but not all. If you dropped $100,000.00+ you will be able to update your car and if you didn't drop the big bucks well, your SOL.
What specific "update" are you referring to when you accuse Elon of lying? Please be clear.

And I do not understand your statement that if someone configured a Model S with options to cost over $100K they will be able to "update" their car whereas if their Model S cost less than that they will not be able to update. That is categorically untrue.

Every Model S ever built can have its firmware "updated" OTA. My 2013 Model S has been updated numerous times over the years.

You need to clarify your post if you want to be believed. As it stands now, I don't believe you, what you assert if demonstrably untrue.

Feel free to spend $100,000 on a Tesla, but it's really a $45,000 car, after the rebate, with a $15,000 battery. The base model is more car than 90% of the population really needs. Spending double the base price isn't going to get you a nicer paint job, better body panel fit and finish, more functional touch screen, or improved AP. Spending a little over base price will get you all of these things and a nicer interior finish though. If you really need ludicrous speed and 300 miles of electric range then go ahead and spend the money, but don't expect the cars fit and finish to match the $150,000 price. Is anyone else tired of all the people that exaggerate the price, just to make the point that it should be as luxurious and perfect as ice cars in the $100,000 price range? At most I think people should be comparing it to $55,000 cars when it comes to quality and reliability.
Your opinion is obviously yours and you will not buy the car. I just find it fascinating that you have posted 53 times to make your point. Way too much effort just to say you don't value the car. Wonder the motive for your obsession.

I have had (my wife) an entry level "luxury" car for the past 7 years. My wife drives the Lexus ES350 and gets a new one every 3 years. She loves her car and I believed it to be a nice quiet ride with a little pep to it when needed. Maybe because I was driving a Yukon XL every day and i would take her car to the store etc.. Now that I am driving an S , her ES350 seems loud with road noise and slow. I have such a different perception of her car now and do not want to drive it ever :) Nevermind the dealer BS I go thru every 3 years. :mad:
The S is a luxury car whether it's a 60 or 100 kwh. Yes Tesla could do a better job with the fit/finish but I test drove the BMW and MB S550 and came away impressed with the interior but thats it. The rest of the car cannot live up to a Tesla

I agree that there is no comparison between the Tesla driving experience and traditional luxury cars. That being said, I would not mind paying additional 10-15 k just to have more luxurious materials and better road sound insulation. I think others who forked over 100k for the car would also afford 10% more for better interior quality.

The other point that was made by the OP is that there is no difference in interior options between the entry level and max level. I don't mind it - in my mind the car should not be a symbol status. However, there is a steady transition in interior quality from the entry level to the top level (I like cars, I lease them often, so I have test-driven most models from BMW / MB / Audi over last few years). There must be a marketing reason for that steady increase in luxury - I guess it must be linked to not having the premium level cannibalized by entry models. For instance, I like the size of the A4 over the A6/A7/A8, and the performance is enough for me; should the A4 be available with the A8 interior, I would not even give a thought to buying anything larger. I wonder in few years when model 3 is available and superchargers ubiquitous, how many people will get the 100 over 75 model. At that stage, Tesla will need to differentiate them more than now.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc and Ormond
I agree that there is no comparison between the Tesla driving experience and traditional luxury cars. That being said, I would not mind paying additional 10-15 k just to have more luxurious materials and better road sound insulation. I think others who forked over 100k for the car would also afford 10% more for better interior quality.

The other point that was made by the OP is that there is no difference in interior options between the entry level and max level. I don't mind it - in my mind the car should not be a symbol status. However, there is a steady transition in interior quality from the entry level to the top level (I like cars, I lease them often, so I have test-driven most models from BMW / MB / Audi over last few years). There must be a marketing reason for that steady increase in luxury - I guess it must be linked to not having the premium level cannibalized by entry models. For instance, I like the size of the A4 over the A6/A7/A8, and the performance is enough for me; should the A4 be available with the A8 interior, I would not even give a thought to buying anything larger. I wonder in few years when model 3 is available and superchargers ubiquitous, how many people will get the 100 over 75 model. At that stage, Tesla will need to differentiate them more than now.
I live with third world roads and my S60 no options transmits almost no road noise. It is almost too isolated as around here it is really important to hear emergency vehicles. Also, the plain interior has more than I need and suits my needs just fine.

My S60D is very quiet I don't see where the noise complaint is coming from. I hear some S85 owners talk about rattles and such and hope the newer S holds up better. The Lexus is known as a smooth, quiet ride and my S is so much quieter than my wife's. Try my daughters Hyundai, now thats some road noise there :)

Are you referring to the overall aesthetic (a minimalism that some like and some do not) or to specific quality issues in the
realization of that aesthetic?

The overall aesthetic. I do not like to call it minimalism. I would call it "we made it nice, but your money went into the drivetrain, battery tech, and future technology; not on features in the interior".

What is there is nice. It is quality. If I were going to compare it to other cars at the same price point, I would say that the interior is lacking in a lot of features. Features, which personally, I don't care much for. My high order bits on this car were 1) battery and drive train tech, 2) Performance (really nice, didn't absolutely have to have it), 3) I am a firm believer that folks with the means should be buying this technology to help establish the market for infrastructure.

Your opinion is obviously yours and you will not buy the car. I just find it fascinating that you have posted 53 times to make your point. Way too much effort just to say you don't value the car. Wonder the motive for your obsession.

Lol. My Avatar is proof of my order. I love Tesla. They have made an incredible car for the price. $66,000 base. It just bugs me when people say for a $100k car that the quality should be so much better. You're not paying $100,000 for fit and finish quality. You are paying the extra for the battery. If you want speed and the extra range don't expect the panel gaps and the trim to line up perfectly just because you bought the extras. There was a guy that posted about rejecting three MXs because they couldn't get the pearl white paint perfect. He wouldn't allow Tesla to do after market paint fixes. He also was unable to capture the flaws on camera to post on his thread. What a douche bag.

ANY new car should have perfect paint and aligned panels. Now granted some people are so nitpicky as to be annoying. But yes I paid $85,000 for a car that Tesla themselves compare to a BMW 7 series. A luxury car must look like it. Having said that I can live with some of the (to me) minor faults in the interior quality, in comparison to a 735i. I paid for the tech, BEV, performance etc......

My S60D is very quiet I don't see where the noise complaint is coming from. I hear some S85 owners talk about rattles and such and hope the newer S holds up better. The Lexus is known as a smooth, quiet ride and my S is so much quieter than my wife's. Try my daughters Hyundai, now thats some road noise there :)
60 is better than 85 Bc it's newer. Later iterations and VINs have less problems as problems are worked out.

The overall aesthetic. I do not like to call it minimalism. I would call it "we made it nice, but your money went into the drivetrain, battery tech, and future technology; not on features in the interior".
What would a comparably clean, uncluttered (I won't use the "m" word) interior look like if they had put the money there? Is there
another car on the market that demonstrates doing it "right"?

What would a comparably clean, uncluttered (I won't use the "m" word) interior look like if they had put the money there? Is there
another car on the market that demonstrates doing it "right"?
There is no other production car like that. All the other manufacturers are caught up in trying to outdo each other with masses of buttons and knobs and switches and gee whiz useless features. They are all about marketing silly stuff because they are all selling basically the same thing.

Tesla has really made their interiors beautifully simple. I love them. Please Elon and Franz, never give in and go down the useless clutter rat hole...