Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Weak WiFi Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first 3 upgrades needed the car to be parked nose up against the house & about 2m from a router booster. Wouldn't update without.

Since then I've managed one reverse parked at the far end of the drive with the front of the car around 6 metres from that booster & no apparent wifi connection.

The last one was with the car nowhere near a wifi signal. We were in a remote car park out walking & I saw it was available on the app so gave it a try - it had upgraded to 2020.20.12 when I got back to the car - maybe it's using the inbuilt connectivity now?

(still waiting for 2020.24.x but without FSD I expect to be in the final batch).

I thought an image would be worth a thousand words so here we go:

Firmware update to 2020.20.12
Theoretically connected with 1 bar, sometimes 2
Been like this for 3 days and the green progress bar doesn’t move
I have left the car locked

Frustrating
Found a possible solution as I'm in the same boat with that FW update. This is from @Tfunk and not mine :)

I've yet to try it but people have mentioned it works.
:
1) Power Off using touch screen and let it sit for 5 minutes.
2) After 5 minutes power back on using the brake, and then power cycle using brake and both thumb wheels.
3) Power cycle again using brake and both thumb wheels.

After I did this the car had reset the download and everything went smoothly.

I booked my car in for a service appointment as my WIFI signal was non existent.
Turns out the antenna was unplugged. They plugged it in and all came back working normally.
I couldn't even get it to pickup my phones hotspot whilst I was in the car. If you experience the same then book it in for an appointment. It's a quick fix.

Found a possible solution as I'm in the same boat with that FW update. This is from @Tfunk and not mine :)

I've yet to try it but people have mentioned it works.
:
1) Power Off using touch screen and let it sit for 5 minutes.
2) After 5 minutes power back on using the brake, and then power cycle using brake and both thumb wheels.
3) Power cycle again using brake and both thumb wheels.

After I did this the car had reset the download and everything went smoothly.

Thank you guys, I will keep trying, I have nothing to lose. If nothing works, then straight to Tesla service!

Reactions: davidmc
My first 3 upgrades needed the car to be parked nose up against the house & about 2m from a router booster. Wouldn't update without.

Since then I've managed one reverse parked at the far end of the drive with the front of the car around 6 metres from that booster & no apparent wifi connection.

The last one was with the car nowhere near a wifi signal. We were in a remote car park out walking & I saw it was available on the app so gave it a try - it had upgraded to 2020.20.12 when I got back to the car - maybe it's using the inbuilt connectivity now?

(still waiting for 2020.24.x but without FSD I expect to be in the final batch).

I’ve had firmware over LTE when I went on holiday before.

Premium connectivity includes the cars' own LTE 4G internet connection which in many cases should be faster than a weak wifi signal. The fact that I and NewbieT seem to have received updates on LTE not wifi seems unusual so could someone please clarify this for me in case I've been mistaken...

Is the explanation that we had both received the download whilst previously connected to wifi at home & then the notification triggered us to run, unpack & install the update which had already been sitting in the cars memory. If not, why did we download via 4G LTE when so many others appear unable to do so?

Tesla had my car this week and found nothing wrong with the WiFi reception. I really don't think they did anything other than look at the car logs for 1 time I said it couldn't connect.

My "fix" was to switch my router to US mode (which may have increased the transmit power though I cannot verify that scientifically) and use use different channels. For me this was ok and it hasn't harmed any other device I own but the general WiFi reception is really poor.

My garage has a hardwired wireless AP 4 feet above the car windscreen which gives a speed of 20Mbs... to my phone.
The car manages 8Mbs using Speedtest on the web. Even with the AP that close the car doesn’t indicate a full WiFi signal all the time.
I have the mirrors on auto fold when I enter the garage. Does having them folded make any difference?

I thought an image would be worth a thousand words so here we go:

Firmware update to 2020.20.12
Theoretically connected with 1 bar, sometimes 2
Been like this for 3 days and the green progress bar doesn’t move
I have left the car locked

Frustrating

Why would Tesla be sending out 220.20.12 anyway if there is another one out there. I had that one weeks ago.

Tried a re-boot?

Looks like they're currently on 2019.35.109 - lots added since then.

I missed that nugget and still can't see it after a brief search.

If they are on 2019.35.109 then that probably not have the LTE software notification and even more importantly, will still be on the legacy network that (pre covid 19 so may have changed) was planned to be turned off beginning May.

So as above advice, needs to contact service. The car may be in stasis and will be unable to exit without a service appt. But that would possibly only affect connecting to Tesla's networks, not accessing other networks unless it is proxying through Tesla.

Ok, looking at the photo with router on window cill...not much chance of picking that signal up with either mirror. Too much metal sheilding antenna.

Turn off home wifi and place phone hotspot on top of router and see what signal you get. I have never got 5ghz in car (2020) but thats a problem for another day!

My garage has a hardwired wireless AP 4 feet above the car windscreen which gives a speed of 20Mbs... to my phone.
The car manages 8Mbs using Speedtest on the web. Even with the AP that close the car doesn’t indicate a full WiFi signal all the time.
I have the mirrors on auto fold when I enter the garage. Does having them folded make any difference?
UPDATE
To give you a clue how difficult it must be to get a full WiFi signal showing in the car, I just moved my wireless AP.
It’s now 10 inches forward of and 55 inches above the passenger mirror. I still only get the dot and 2 out the 3 arcs of the Wifi symbol!!
That said, speedtest running in the car’s web browser does give 19Mbs. Results all the same whether the mirrors are folded or not. Also running on channel 6. Nothing else locally is using 6