Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Performance or not to performance... AWD? P? I can't decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I'm back from the drive and I have a few thoughts.
I am pretty sure I am going with the standard AWD version (the one I drove today)

-Acceleration is noticeably slower but it's still plenty quick for me.
-I was still very much able to jump out in front of cars and pass them with extreme ease.
-If I'm driving alone I would mash it more, but with a family I'm sure I'd get yelled at for accelerating so hard anyways, especially with the P.
-I didn't actually realize the range on the P was about 8% worse vs standard, according to the OA.
-Coming off the highway today I still managed to skid the wheels going around a quick turn - definitely was able to feel the quick turns and speed. Really no reason in my mind that I'd need to make those type of turns even faster.
-Prefer the black interior to the white
-Luckily the car overall still felt dangerous (in a good way), so I'm sold.
-I'll likely apply that cash to EAP instead when I need it. Luckily I don't have a commute at all so the benefits of highway driving + autopilot won't be needed too much by me.

Seems like a good decision given your wants/needs. I would second what someone else said, and consider EAP with the purchase if you are reasonably sure you'll eventually get it, now that it's a $2k premium to wait.

Also, make sure to use someone's referral code. (Not suggesting you choose mine!) TMC lets posters add their code to their profile, so you can click on the avatar of anyone you've found helpful/funny/otherwise useful, then click Profile Page, and finally Information. Currently a code will get you 6 months of free Supercharging. (It will also get the referrer something, ranging from a HPWC to 2% off a Roadster.)

Here’s how I ultimately decided to pull the trigger and upgrade to P. My kids love (as do I) The Incredicoaster (formerly California Screamin’) at California Adventure Park. It does 0-60 in 4s. I knew I had to beat that so upgraded to Stealth P. Haven’t looked back and it still puts a smile on my face, and my kids’ every time I gun it. Well worth the money to me.

• Love
Reactions: NeverFollow
Nobody needs the performance.

and then in same post

I am trading in my LR RWD for a P3D.

Me thinks you contradict yourself! As another of those that did that, I might refine your comment to 'Most sane people don't need the performance'
;)

Need and want are two very different things. We all buy things we don't need, other than the very poor or the very frugal. Nobody "needs" a TV or a high-end smartphone, or the fanciest tablet, or a luxury car. I don't need to go to Maui, but I want to, so I'm spending the money. I don't need a P3D but the only reason I didn't get one was that I didn't want to wait for the availability.

Get the AWD and use the difference to pay for EAP now. Unless you were planning on getting the P with EAP . If it is one or the other, AWD and EAP for sure. I was in the same scenario, even ordered the full P, but changed it because I didn't want the 20", or the 18" aero wheels. I wanted the 19's . Can't have that on the P. I've had my AWD for a month now. Outside of the first few days, giving friends an initial ride, or the occasional, "Daddy go fast", it's faster than normal off the line driving for me. Not, "mash the pedal to the floor at every light" type driving. I have fun, but also try to play the game of energy efficiency when driving.

At the end of the day, you absolutely can't go wrong with any of the models. I have zero regret not going for the P like I wanted at first. This car is so damn fun to drive. I've had a lot of fun just playing around with EAP and AP on Nav lately. And just when you get comfortable with the setup, a new update comes out and you'll wind up playing around all over again!

Enjoy your new ride!!

Just had 3 things happen in five minutes that gives me NO regret going for the P.

C63 AMG pulls up along side me at a light. I was in a good mood so wasn’t going to launch on him.
He launches on me, I catchup and pass despite the 1 second head start. Lol

Panarama driving like a jerk weaving in and out of traffic without turn signals. Gap opens up with cars going to turn only lanes. I get in front of him. Turn signal on of course.

A minute later, another Panarama gets pole position in the far right lane. I’m in the far left. I know what’s up here so I’m gone before the wheels spin on the Porsche. Panarama #2 is suddenly cool with sitting behind a Civic than finding the open lane again. ;)

I love my car.

Huh?

2018 Subaru WRX STI First Test Review: Old Dog, Same Tricks - Motor Trend

2018 STI, 0-60 in 5.7. Literally any model 3, even MR, is quicker.

Even the older, less porky, model didn't beat an AWD Model 3-
2015 Subaru WRX STI First Test - Motor Trend

4.6 0-60, and that's with rollout. The AWD 3 is 4.5 without it (so more like 4.2-4.3 with it)

Different sites report different specs. zeroto60times.com reports it this way:

Model 3 LR: 4.8 QM 13.5
Subaru WRX STI: 4.7 QM 13.2
Model 3 P: 3.2 QM 11.8

As with all things internet, everything you read is true, so take that for what it's worth.

I was most surprised at the loss of range on the P vs the rest. 8-9% is a lot.

Like the OP, I’m still deciding between the AWD and P. Does anyone know if the loss of range for the P can be mitigated by driving in chill mode? If so, would it still be less range than AWD and if so, how much?

I know it seems like a dumb question (i.e. why get the P if you’re just going to drive in chill mode), but I’m thinking in terms of long road trips where I’d want to maximize range. For everyday driving I would drive it in normal mode.