Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled 2020, replace with '23... what will I like and hate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got rear-ended in my 2020 S (built Nov/2019, so an early Raven) and just got the word that it's totaled. Sigh. Planning to replace it with a '23 non-plaid. As a contented customer with no upgrade plans since then I've paid almost no attention to what's changed, but now I'm forced to. Looks like there are no real options other than interior/exterior color and plaid or not... so what other stuff has changed in the last 3.5 years that I should be aware of?

Reactions: cmarshack
Massive improvements all around. Biggest issue is 2023 models the dropped the parking sensors (USS). So if you used that a lot, you are going to miss it.

Biggest surprise will be the acceleration of the long range. Above 40-50 mph is quicker than the previous performance version.

Look here for most of the changes.

I echo others, the refresh palladium is better in almost every measurable way. 2023 without USS has some debate, but you get HW4...if FSD is important to you, I'd get that, but if not...look for a 2022 with swivel screen. That would likely have new lights, screen, steam, USS, etc.

The yoke is very polarizing. I personally prefer the round wheel, so I strongly recommend a test drive before committing to either one.

The lack of stalks for shifting/turn signals is disconcerting at first but adaptable.

Otherwise, it’s a better car in pretty much every way.

Agree with what's been said already. One quick thing I'll add--the new Palladium LR 19" base wheel (the one with the aero caps) is staggered; its 245s in the front and 285s in the rear. Tires are a little more expensive (Michelin PS4S costs $309 for 245s but $420 for the 285s) and can't be rotated.

got rear-ended in my 2020 S (built Nov/2019, so an early Raven) and just got the word that it's totaled. Sigh. Planning to replace it with a '23 non-plaid. As a contented customer with no upgrade plans since then I've paid almost no attention to what's changed, but now I'm forced to. Looks like there are no real options other than interior/exterior color and plaid or not... so what other stuff has changed in the last 3.5 years that I should be aware of?
I sold my 2020 Raven LR+ for a 2022 Model S and it is a night and day better car. Way faster, much nicer/quieter interior, UI on the new center screen is just more modern and updated (my 2020 looked exactly the same as my 2013).

It sucks to get in an accident, but you will be very pleased with the changes in the past 3.5 years.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
A huge upgrade IMO:
-Interior - I really like the ventilated seats, MCU3 is fast, rear screen is great for kids,
-Acceleration - Coming from an MXP100DL and MYP, the base MS is a beast. The 3rd fastest Tesla behind the 2 S/X Plaids. Top end power is insane on the base MS.
-Supercharging - the refresh S/X have a faster charging curve than the 3/Y.
-Exterior - Looks better with wider fenders and new taillights IMO.
-Matrix Headlights - better performance than old lights.

Downgrades
-No USS
-No Stalks

Do not let these guys prejudice you about the car - the yoke and lack of stalks is refreshing (pun intended) but it may not be your cup of tea - you decide. Regardless, it is a great car and a step up from the 2020.

Hence why I recommended the test drive. I have my opinions but doesn’t mean they are right. I recognize there are others too.

But a quick test drive should really help decide what’s the right answer for @ljwobker

Hmmmm... so short of completely replacing the wheels there's no way NOT to end up with staggered tires?
Short answer, no. It is possible to go with after-market wheels and get a fitment where it isn't staggered (square) and you can actually rotate the tires front to rear. Jamie@signature wheels can set you up if you decide to go that route.

Hmmmm... so short of completely replacing the wheels there's no way NOT to end up with staggered tires?

I spoke with some guys at the SC and they're confident that pre-refresh 19s will fit on the Palladium S LR--so if you've got your Raven ones they should work fine. The rear wheels will look a little sunken in though. Of course, the staggered setup is but one of the many considerations to be weighed in making a purchase decision. Yes, tire replacement will cost a little more and there's a risk that inability to rotate will result in shorter tire lifespan. But rotation may not be fatal for tire life given that the car's AWD. Also there are traction benefits from having wider tires. Efficiency is still fantastic with 285s.

As others have already noted, there's a lot of improvements with the Palladium S. New features that come to mind: (1) matrix headlights; (2) very responsive MCU-Z with AMD Ryzen and discrete GPU; (3) much more powerful HVAC system (and cooled seats are back). Interior finishes are more upscale than the 2021 MY I was last driving, and it's lightyears ahead of the 2013 MS--rear seat screen, perforated rear seats, door pockets, cabin active noise cancellation. For me, the new features and improvements make the Palladium a worthwhile upgrade. (I took delivery of an Ultra Red Palladium MS about 3 weeks ago. It's truly fantastic.)

Three more things:
1. W/r/t driver's inputs. Default option is the steering wheel now--the yoke's an additional $250. I tried both and went with the steering wheel. If you're getting a 2021-22 Palladium with the yoke, the wheel can be retrofitted.

2. W/r/t sensors. Radar's come back to MS with HW4--mine was a May 2023 build and has the HD radar unit installed. Ultrasonics are gone, but the only features not currently enabled are auto parking, summon, and smart summon. Recent update added the park distance information (its not as accurate as an USS car but enough to be usable).

3. W/r/t efficiency. I've done Houston to Dallas roundtrip. My wh/mi never went over 301 for any leg of the trip. Logged data for two legs of that trip (trackmap disabled):
  • Centerville, TX to Dallas, TX: Grafana
  • Dallas, TX to Ennis, TX: Grafana