Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just one addendum to this. Any M3 not factory specced with a tow bar will be 0kg towing rated, therefore won’t legally be allowed to tow, even if an aftermarket tow bar is fitted. However, that doesn’t stop someone from fitting an aftermarket tow bar and using a bike carrier on this (as long as it’s not one with wheels, as that’s technically towing). It’s still not great, though, as the car won’t have the 13 pin connector to control lights on the carrier. This is what the aftermarket kits you’ll have seen available are for.

If buying new, I would hold out for an M3 with a tow bar. I’ve heard these are available “off menu”, so if you call Tesla they might be able to match you to an inventory car (on a ship on its way from Shanghai) that has a tow bar. I think someone mentioned only LRs are available, at the moment, though?
I bought an M3LR new trim in late 2020 as part of the Q4 sales push and got carried out and accepted taking buying one that was already in transit in a cargo ship. All good until I realised about the tow bar missing. My bad. I like what you write above and it would work for me as I only want it to carry my bicycles with a Thule rack so the inability to tow wouldn't be an issue. Problem is.. I can't freakin' find anywhere the kit!! do you happen to know where I can buy a good aftermarket tow (not for towing) bar??

I bought an M3LR new trim in late 2020 as part of the Q4 sales push and got carried out and accepted taking buying one that was already in transit in a cargo ship. All good until I realised about the tow bar missing. My bad. I like what you write above and it would work for me as I only want it to carry my bicycles with a Thule rack so the inability to tow wouldn't be an issue. Problem is.. I can't freakin' find anywhere the kit!! do you happen to know where I can buy a good aftermarket tow (not for towing) bar??
These guys advertise one:

Hi all, I just wondered if there was any update on this? In UK the M3 doesn't currently have the towbar option online - I'm not ready to order just yet, but wondered if others have managed to add one by calling Tesla??
Just curious to know before I progress...

Hi all, I just wondered if there was any update on this? In UK the M3 doesn't currently have the towbar option online - I'm not ready to order just yet, but wondered if others have managed to add one by calling Tesla??
Just curious to know before I progress...
Well there was a M3LR in inventory earlier which had the Tow Hitch option on it. So someone has managed to spec it.

I got mine by finding one in inventory with it. Tesla aren't great with this sort of thing, the staff seem to just point you to the online version and if its there its there. I'd keep an eye out on the new inventory nearer the time you're ready to order. They're the same cars, you lose nothing by buying a new inventory car compared to a custom order (just watch out for ex demo cars althought they're usually marked as such and cheaper)

Just spoke to someone on the online chat on the Tesla UK car configurator and got the following:
"Tow Hitch is now a ‘off menu’ item. It is a £1,300 optional extra. Once you have built and ordered your car, please call ourselves and request it to be added. As this is a custom build, the lead time is longer and currently set at November/December time"

One thing to watch out for with the tow hitch is the weight limits... For a M3 Long Range I think it is 55Kgs to include the weight of the rack itself.

There was a post about this: towbar-accessory-limit-of-55kgs

Whether it is enough will depend on how heavy / how many bikes you have.
1000kg
Your figure is vertical nose weight which is really only relevant to bike carriers rather than towing a trailer.

I emailed Tesla sales UK and got this response

Thank you for your email. The tow option has been removed from the website, we are however able to add it on after you have placed your order, you would need to send us an email with your order number to [email protected] where we will raise a request to have this added to the order, along with updating your invoice with the additional cost, £1300. Please note the tow option can only be added to standard and long-range vehicles we are unable to offer a tow on the performance vehicle.

If you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate in reaching out to myself or any of the team on 01628 450 660, press option 4.

Kind regards,

UK Sales & Delivery

Last edited by a moderator:
My first post. I’m resurrecting this thread since I just ordered my first Tesla, a Model 3 LR with optional towbar. Due after February or March.

For others considering this, the factory towbar is actually costing £1300 plus VAT. So £1560 total. It seems that Tesla are being a bit mischievous with the quoted price. The salesman said it would be 1300 but the invoice adds 20% VAT.

I was advised that a factory towbar is likely to be available to order only for another couple of weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I don't have any information about future towbar arrangements. I didn't get any information about the factory towbar either. However from my online research, it seems to be the best (if pretty expensive) option for carrying two bikes.

Interesting that it’s now 1300+VAT. When I bought mine new March, it was £1300inc. It had been £1000, but the price went up a month or two before. It’s worth checking they’ve not made an error on the invoice. It was £1300 option on the site before it disappeared.

I wonder if they may start offering it as a retrospective addition like they seem to be hinting at offering with the Model Y?
I thought the model Y was always a retrofit at the SC unlike the model 3 (maybe because some of the receiving hardware has always been present from factory) hence the rating will be present in the logbook. Maybe owners with Model 3's (with factory fitted towbar) could chime in and say what is stated on their logbook.