Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local Tesla branch has my MY configuration available, without the tow hitch. Speaking with a Tesla Advisor, he couldn't guarantee the hitch could be retrofittable. I understand this information is quite new.

I heard that once the tow hitch becomes factory retrofittable, it can take a while to schedule an installation appointment. Something about materials being prioritized for cars in production.

Any thoughts? Should I take delivery and retrofit the tow hitch? or wait for a MY configured with a tow-hitch?

Thank you in advance!

If you are just planning on using the hitch for just a bike rack or something like that, it's a pretty tough sell to not just go with the EcoHitch for $750 cheaper. The installation on the 3 looks pretty simple, and the Y should be even easier.

If you are just planning on using the hitch for just a bike rack or something like that, it's a pretty tough sell to not just go with the EcoHitch for $750 cheaper. The installation on the 3 looks pretty simple, and the Y should be even easier.
It does look like a good option for a bike rack or cargo box.

Before I bought it for towing a trailer, I'd want to know how safety chains can be hooked up to it. Looking at the pictures, it's not immediately obvious to me. If they can be attached to the crossbar, I'd be worried that if those chains were ever used (trailer came off the ball) that the chain would pull down the lower valance and bumper.

Last edited:
Since there will soon be many more Model Y's on the road than Model X's, with both having a hitch option, how do we address issues with supercharging? You can't simply back into stalls, and it will be a real PITA to have to remove the trailer or rack every time you charge.

I understand that "some" SCs have pull in stalls with longer cables, or have a curbside terminal. But which ones? At the very least, such stalls should have signage asking those without a trailer to not use the stall if others are available. Also, it would be great if SC locations with trailer accommodations would be labeled as such in the SC map, both online and in-car. Maybe even showing current availability.

Agreed? Any thoughts?

Since there will soon be many more Model Y's on the road than Model X's, with both having a hitch option, how do we address issues with supercharging? You can't simply back into stalls, and it will be a real PITA to have to remove the trailer or rack every time you charge.

I understand that "some" SCs have pull in stalls with longer cables, or have a curbside terminal. But which ones? At the very least, such stalls should have signage asking those without a trailer to not use the stall if others are available. Also, it would be great if SC locations with trailer accommodations would be labeled as such in the SC map, both online and in-car. Maybe even showing current availability.

Agreed? Any thoughts?
I tow with my X all the time. Unhitching isn't the most convenient option, but it's also not remotely difficult. We have the process down at this point and can do it in under 3 minutes on each side of the transaction. That way there is no worry about blocking stalls, and I can go back to the camper to relax and eat my own food while charging. It's not the ideal situation, but it's also not really a hardship.

All of that said, I camp in the summer on the West Coast and Western Canada. So I rarely experience rain while traveling. If it were pouring rain outside, I might have a different take..

Agreed? Any thoughts?

How many ICE SUV/CUV/Trucks with hitches do you see driving around with trailers all the time. I'd guess about 90% of people who own a vehicle with a hitch, never tow a trailer one time. Most people use a hitch for bike racks, and other rack accessories. Tesla's should be the same. You'll probably see someone having to unhitch at a super charger every so often, but it will be very rare.

Agreed? Any thoughts?
I expect this will be increasingly important especially after cyber truck comes out in addition to the MY. Would not be as important in urban areas so mainly highway locations so I think your idea of sc showing which have pull through charging and if in use is a good one. Hopefully someday some of the gas station pull through spots can be covered to charging!

As I posted upthread, I have towed my 17 ft RV trailer over 10,000 miles with my X all over the western US and Supercharged many many times. I almost always unhitch to charge and it’s no big deal: two minutes to unhitch, maybe three minutes to hitch up and I’m on my way. It’s really not an issue. (Note: as @ohmman pointed out, it’s really nice to have the trailer to relax in while charging ;).

Agreed? Any thoughts?

Torklift just posted the installation video. Looks similar to Model 3 and really quite easy with common tools if you are moderately handy. They also raised the price a bit so you’ll only save $700 now and $680 later. I guess demand is high and the alternative from Tesla is pricey.

2020 Tesla Model Y Tow Hitch - Invisi EcoHitch design