Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking and reporting of reservations, orders, and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The need to protect numbers and personal data is always on my mind.
And specifically for VINs... a few months back, there was a used Model S listed for sale down in South Carolina, not too far from where my parents live. It was much less expensive than it should have been so my BS detector went off. I asked him to send me the VIN, which he did. It was a legit VIN... of an entirely different Model S (different color) that was already for sale in California. Fortunately the guy was too stupid or too unsophisticated to send a valid VIN sequence that was *not* already listed for sale somewhere else with a different configuration. That and the Google Maps photo of his "used car dealership" (is that sign made of cardboard?) were enough to convince me to move along...

And specifically for VINs... a few months back, there was a used Model S listed for sale down in South Carolina, not too far from where my parents live. It was much less expensive than it should have been so my BS detector went off. I asked him to send me the VIN, which he did. It was a legit VIN... of an entirely different Model S (different color) that was already for sale in California. Fortunately the guy was too stupid or too unsophisticated to send a valid VIN sequence that was *not* already listed for sale somewhere else with a different configuration. That and the Google Maps photo of his "used car dealership" (is that sign made of cardboard?) were enough to convince me to move along...
I've removed the prefix from the Tracker.

I've also made it clear that its private in the add details and its no longer reported in the extract. If there is a vin it will report it as 'Secured'.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure it really matters because you can find one in a few second google search.

How to Decode Your Tesla Model S VIN
How to Decode Your Tesla Model S VIN - TESLARATI.com

Tesla VIN Decoder
VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

Q: How do I decode my [Tesla] VIN?
Q: How do I decode my VIN? - Tesla Motors Wiki
Yes, but that being said, its better we don't give someone a list of known ones. :)

I've also made it clear that its private in the add details and its no longer reported in the extract. If there is a vin it will report it as 'Secured'.
- - - Updated - - -
Yes, but that being said, its better we don't give someone a list of known ones. :)
Yes, that does make sense. They can build them manually but they likely wouldn't be valid ... at least not for production ones. Sigs have less options.

I've also made it clear that its private in the add details and its no longer reported in the extract. If there is a vin it will report it as 'Secured'. Yes, but that being said, its better we don't give someone a list of known ones. :)
Thanks Paul. The idea of security at the data entry point should be to give a secure feeling to those who would enter the whole VIN. If the site makes people feel secure, they are more likely to share their data. The statistics are what matter, not the display of data that others might use for illegal purposes.

Paul - I'm from WA and entered my config choices (hope to config in a week or two.) But on the report, when I filtered by WA, there was only one entry and it wasn't mine (e.g. different color, Ludicrous, etc.) Thought you should know.
I see two entries. Looks like there is the state of WA and Washington. Need to talk to Paul about these edits.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/eOHVgs2.png

Last edited:
Paul - I'm from WA and entered my config choices (hope to config in a week or two.) But on the report, when I filtered by WA, there was only one entry and it wasn't mine (e.g. different color, Ludicrous, etc.) Thought you should know.
PGeer, Paul made some changes to standardize that State/Prov. You should show up on the report with 3 others now.

Last edited:
PGeer, Paul made some changes to standardize that State/Prov. You should show up on the report with 3 others. now.
Correct, thanks Scott for pointing that out around the same time. The State/Prov is now sorted by Country (descending)/State (ascending). Data quality checks will be a little more automated in the near future or we'll implement a global state by country list.

anyone else think the Bentayga from Bentley mentioned in this article looks like a fancy Subaru Forester? I have little doubt that anyone buying that Bentley for 230k is buying it for the emblem, period.
No doubt.

- - - Updated - - -

Signature Generator Online for reservation holders. Just replace the 159 in the example below with your own tracking id.

https://www.modelxtracker.com/x_tag_generator.php?d=159

Note: You don't need to be logged in to generate it and yields something like this.

ModelXTracker | Signature (Canada) # 3: MODEL X P90D | Signature Red | 22 | UW | 3rd row | FAW | BA | SZ | PIL | AP | SAS | UHFS | TP

You can then edit your signature and paste in the result (as plain text). Note: In my example the badge is P90D, the BB codes to underline are generated. I'll add some options for displaying dates (and which types) and whether to show No AP for No AutoPilot etc.. in the near future. Open to suggestions.

Enjoy for now!

Last edited: