Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Multi-red production and sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When did you finalize?

Well, that depends. Originally 1/17 (seq 5,059). When Tesla sent out the email that the 3rd row was a factory only option moving forward, I called and added it. Adding the 3rd row required new paperwork, and I re-finalized on 3/4. I was told verbally and in writing that this would not affect my delivery date. Hopefully that's true.

Last edited:
More Good News:

Just called the factory delivery team. They confirmed hat RED is now 'in production'. My car (#4632 - 12-1 config) has been sent to production and should be done in roughly 4 weeks. Add ship time on to that, so her estimate for delivery to Oregon was late April.

As luck would have it, I am in San Francisco, and have been working on getting a factory tour, which is currently set for tomorrow afternoon. I'll put a note on this thread if I actually 'see red' (if anyone here is interested :rolleyes:)

She indicated it might still be a week or two before I get the fabled delivery email. Perhaps the wait "won't be as long now as it has been".

More Good News:

Just called the factory delivery team. They confirmed hat RED is now 'in production'. My car (#4632 - 12-1 config) has been sent to production and should be done in roughly 4 weeks. Add ship time on to that, so her estimate for delivery to Oregon was late April.

As luck would have it, I am in San Francisco, and have been working on getting a factory tour, which is currently set for tomorrow afternoon. I'll put a note on this thread if I actually 'see red' (if anyone here is interested :rolleyes:)

She indicated it might still be a week or two before I get the fabled delivery email. Perhaps the wait "won't be as long now as it has been".

4 weeks in production? I thought it takes less than a week to build a Model S from start to finish. 4 weeks is very inefficient. Makes me wonder.

More Good News:

Yay! Res nmbr 5810... So glad for some positive news ! I'll take it. On a Disney cruise this week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

More Good News:

5810 res can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It takes 3 days to actually build the car. Then another day (sometimes 2) for quality testing. If there are no problems with the vehicle, it ships approximately 5 days after production actually starts. For example, my car started being built on a Monday, and was finished on Wednesday, came out of quality testing Thursday morning and was shipped the same day, arriving in MD on Tuesday (1 week, 1 day after the actual building of the car began).

If they are telling you four weeks, that just means your configuration has been sent to the factory but it is not yet being built.

The time to get excited is when the VIN shows up in the app. In my case, the VIN showed up Saturday afternoon in the app (a few days after the VIN was verbally relayed to me), with the building of the car starting two days later on Monday.

That probably means something like it's in the factory production queue but hasn't hit the line yet.

John - I think this is part of it. I would assume that another issue is that Tesla has an increasingly large list of batched systems. Colors are batched, and there are 11 alternatives. Batteries are batched and there are currently two, about to be 3 alternatives, etc. This would indicate to me that while there may only be 168 hours (1 week) involved in building a particular car, the calendar time will be longer.

It takes 3 days to actually build the car. Then another day (sometimes 2) for quality testing. If there are no problems with the vehicle, it ships approximately 5 days after production actually starts. For example, my car started being built on a Monday, and was finished on Wednesday, came out of quality testing Thursday morning and was shipped the same day, arriving in MD on Tuesday (1 week, 1 day after the actual building of the car began).

If they are telling you four weeks, that just means your configuration has been sent to the factory but it is not yet being built.

The time to get excited is when the VIN shows up in the app. In my case, the VIN showed up Saturday afternoon in the app (a few days after the VIN was verbally relayed to me), with the building of the car starting two days later on Monday.

That's exactly what I assumed. My car has been in the "the factory is building your car" queue since December but all of that means nothing until I get a VIN.

sorry for this naive question. I downloaded the iphone app (Tesla Model S) and upon entering my email and password (for My Tesla), got the message that there is no car on record or not delivered yet. Does this change when VIN gets assigned or do I have a separate issue. Thanks.

I think this is normal. I have the same thing on my app. I don't know what happens first, though. Will the app update with the VIN? Will I get an email? Will 'My Garage' update with a VIN?

It's 3:19pm Pacific. Update? :biggrin:

I think this is normal. I have the same thing on my app. I don't know what happens first, though. Will the app update with the VIN? Will I get an email? Will 'My Garage' update with a VIN?

You get your VIN via email a couple weeks before your car will be done. Sometime around when your car is coming off the assembly line the app gets updated with the VIN. Your garage doesn't usually show the VIN until after your car is delivered.