Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Multi-red production and sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the chatter here today, particularly swegman's April 8 date, so shot an email to Tesla. Note back said "... looks like your car is set to finish production on 4/15, an email should be sent to you soon to begin scheduling your delivery."

This syncs up pretty well with the April 8 date. Assuming it's on time, travel across the country, time at the service center, etc, I'd say an end of April delivery date is likely. I'll update, of course, if/when I receive a call.

Shocking how close my wild guess for the 1st delivery (see post #198) is to the most recent "official" estimates. All the information I'm seeing points to the possibility of an early reservationee being able to pick up a Red at the factory on or about 15 April. Nice.

I was in Dania Beach today and got a surprise. The Red display car from Lincoln road is there temporarily to get a new interior. Looked darker in the service bay lights than the Miami showroom. Maybe it'll be classy by evening and sporty by day. :smile:

Dear Tesla,

Tomorrow is my birthday. I'd like for nothing more than to to receive my MS. Since that's not going to happen, I'll take a delivery window. If you want extra points, a VIN would be great.

Thanks.

As luck would have it, I am in San Francisco, and have been working on getting a factory tour, which is currently set for tomorrow afternoon. I'll put a note on this thread if I actually 'see red' (if anyone here is interested :rolleyes:)

We're all waiting anxiously for news. As you have not added a note Frankc, should we assume that you saw no multi-coat red at the factory during your tour? Or maybe you postponed the tour?

We're all waiting anxiously for news. As you have not added a note Frankc, should we assume that you saw no multi-coat red at the factory during your tour? Or maybe you postponed the tour?

Artsi and all-

I apologize for not sending this sooner. I had typed out a long summary very late last night as I was about to leave from SFO, and the system crashed as it sent, and lost the data. Bummer.

Update from the factory floor 3/20/2013:

My wife and I took the tour late yesterday along with a small group of owners that were taking delivery of their cars. I looked for ANY signs of red cars, panels, drips on the floor, etc. There were none that I saw as of 5:00 pm yesterday.

Then at the end of the tour, we were told that we were about to have another visitor. Elon Musk was coming by to congratulate the new owners, and just say “thanks”. At about 6:00pm Elon came in the lobby where we had assembled (about 25 of us in all). Elon stayed for the better part of an hour – shaking hands, signing everything from hats to car visors, and just chatting. There were no camera crews capturing sound bites for PR purposes later, no hidden agendas, just Elon saying thanks and listening to all the comments from real customers.

My respect for the man started out quite high, but increased immensely through the interactions over the hour. He answered questions in a straightforward manner. No vague sidestepping of issues. Quite remarkable.

Now to the question at hand. Elon, those of us who have been waiting for red cars are wondering just where that process is, and when can we expect to start seeing our cars:

Elon: “we are currently testing the paint systems this week. Not on full cars or even car panels, just test patches at this point. We will start to actually paint full cars at the end of the first week in April. You should start seeing cars delivered by the end of April, or first week in May”.

I tried to quote Elon word for word, but of course might have missed something.

Some will want to comment on why it will take until the end of the month to get deliveries and other topics. Rather than speculate on that here, I’ll leave you with my overall impression.

While I had gone on tour selfishly hoping to be one of the first to see a long line of red cars coming down the assembly line, I left with something quite different. Within a month or so, I’ll see a beautiful red Model S every time I open the door to my garage. However the memory of a CEO of Elon’s stature with a passion to build the world’s greatest car, not as perceived by Wall Street or even the NY Times, but as perceived by his customers has left an impression with me that will last a very long time. We desperately need more CEO’s in this country with that kind of commitment to making a real and lasting contribution.

Thanks Elon.

Frank C

@Frankc Thanks for the update. I agree with you on your statement. Guess won't see that red until end of May mid June 2013 if I want to be realistic. Real delivery window is more May-June for some of us that were given April-MAy on the MVPA based on the start day of production April 8th. # 14291 RN 318047. Have to say ""I WANT MY RED BEAUTIFUL MODEL S CREATURE WITH ME". I actually need it so I can stop checking this forum every minute and be more productive at work lol!!!

Thanks so much Frankc. Considering the source, I think we now have the authoritative news that we were hoping for. This should put an end to all of the speculation. Now the questions become how fast they'll be produced and how quickly delivered. I expect that the first delivery notices will go out in the first week of April, provided the paint testing is successful.

We're all very grateful that you've provided the certainty we all wanted.

Frank C - thank you for your eloquent capture of an event that was clearly quite meaningful. You nicely helped put into perspective that while we're all anxious to have our red beauties, the impact this one individual, Elon Musk, is likely to have on mankind is the real import here. Bravo to you, bravo to us, and bravo especially to Elon.