Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke with my DS. He confirmed all P85Ds are still being held. HQ is being tight lipped. They are not sharing with the field why or an estimate as to when the cars will be released. My car is still in production, but it's moving very slowly. It was body in white on Monday. It entered general assembly this morning (Friday). DS agreed it's slower than normal.

So far now the only thing to do is be patient.

I am no expert in car manufacturing, but the spreadsheet indicates that production has stalled. Many of the forum members are focused on their delayed delivery, but seem to overlook the dearth of new cars currently entering production. I don't think that this can be explained by any of the previously suggested causes, such as missing/ill-fitting seats, unavailable window stickers, or initial robotic misalignment. Window stickers, for example, are available as documented by Aargau's photo. The seat company has been in business for more than 100 years and knows how to provide a high quality product. We also know that Tesla can successfully build the P85D, as they have shown during the demo event, however, these vehicles were most likely assembled by hand, at least as it related to the front motor.

Could the initial respectable number of cars entering production during the first week, but not during the second week and the unusually long production time of greater than 2 weeks mean that these vehicles are clogging the line since they have to be assembled, at least in part, by hand, instead of the usual automated process?
Do we have any proof that this is not a problem of scaling up production due to technical problems with the assembly of the front motor, for example? Maybe some experts in automotive manufacturing could chime in.

Last edited:
So. Montreal's Tesla store grand opening today... I wasn't there but was sent a text from a friend.
4 P85Ds there.
Guess there some out in the wild now...
Apparently the seats are pheonmenal and though there was a ton of snow, it stuck to the ground.
Now I don't at all understand this delay.

Last edited:
Keep us posted, since that would indicate that the production problems can be solved!
If I had to guess, based on what little information has been shared by various DSs including mine, the recent bout of cars kicking off on top of the few that have entered production since the logjam, i think the problem will be resolved over the weekend and cars will be completed and continue according to the usual process, I.e. Some pickups will start next week and those of us getting deliveries will receive cars the week after. I was starting to wonder if they were actually rebuilding my car (it went back into build on December 2cnd) but presumably they would have to use a different VIN number?

Whoa. Just went into production. VIN 64190.

Whoa, wait... nope - still in the queue! Darn. Congrats! My only salvation is knowing that I'm not taking delivery until Dec 24-29 and that in theory once it goes into Production it can be at my door in 10-12 days so there is still hope.

How do they handle model years and VIN numbers... I keep hearing that the model year is dictated by the VIN but that Tesla matches the year to the delivery date unlike every other manufacturer. Thx.

If I had to guess, based on what little information has been shared by various DSs including mine, the recent bout of cars kicking off on top of the few that have entered production since the logjam, i think the problem will be resolved over the weekend and cars will be completed and continue according to the usual process

You know, I have the same gut feeling but no idea why. Crossing my fingers for deliveries starting next week!