Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder where he got the Tesla P85D jacket that you see in one of the pics?

Well that's the standard corporate jacket. I have one that my girlfriend bought me for my birthday. My girlfriend has one that Tesla gave her when we ordered the 85D. The stitching for the TESLA logo on the back is just straight through the jacket. Could be very easy to take it to an embroidery place and have the P85D added.

Well, I finally just heard from my DS, after having to make another phone call to him when he ignored my first message.

All I got were vague answers. He told me that my scheduled 12/19 delivery was history, and that he still can't give me a date. My car has been in production since Nov 26, 2014. All he did was refer me to Jerome's e-mail. He said it now is in "Final Production". What is that, "Double-Secret Probation"???

He's telling me to expect delivery at around Dec 30 or 31st. I'm still debating whether or not I should take delivery. I'll be buying a 2014 car, 1 day before 2015. That is truly crazy.

I did tell him that if it doesn't get delivered in 2014, I'll be cancelling my order, as buying a model year old car (so double the depreciation), then waiting 15 months for the tax break (which might vanish with the new Congress) is truly nuts.

It's also infuriating that now people in Florida are being promised earlier delivery dates, even though my order went in far before theirs.

My choice of a car was between this and a Mclaren 650C, which is on the dealer's lot that I pass every day on my way home from work. It could have been mine in 1 day. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if I bought the wrong car.

Don't worry. I know its hard not to... But tesla has every incentive to deliver your car in Dec. I havent heard a single instance where a December-promised car won't be delivered before year end. Tesla WILL make it happen!

BTW: Congrats, you will be blown away by this car

I'm still not convinced this was a customer car delivery.
Really? (Too quote an SNL skit)
Consider the 'Join Date' or my 'autograph' link and you think I'm lying?
Okey dokey pokey.
PS-The car was delivered without the 'Recaro' seats because the seats had only been apparently NHTSA certified on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. He'll get them retro-fitted in the new year but he was fine with that and the auto-pilot stuff not yet working. Tesla has done that before and they will make good on their promise. He was happy (understatement) with v0.9 for now!

Piecing it all together, I think this is the situation:

1st batch of P85D with production 11/21-11/26 got built with defective Next Gen seats. These cars are sitting at the factory waiting for replacement Next Gen seats, but those with travel plans or cross-country deliveries are being offered the option to take delivery with regular seats now with retrofit next month when the replacements are available. I haven't been called yet, so perhaps they think the replacement seats for my car will be ready by the end of the year.
2nd batch of P85D with production 12/1 week and later are built with newer Next Gen seats (issue resolved) and are following the standard 5 day production cycle. These will be delivered in December at the usual pace and timelines.

Sorry, but does not make sense I have been "in production" since 11/25 and ordered the Nappa seats, not Next Gen seats. Seems to me they are reworking defects in the first batch and it is taking longer than anyone (including Tesla) ever expected. Have fingers crossed that at least this delayed batch may have the heated steering wheel or a few other goodies not on the early completed P85D's as compensation. After all, a guy can dream can't he?

Oh, how this thread reminds me of the early days.

Guys, my Sig sat in the Fremont parking lot for at least 2 weeks maybe longer before they could find a trailer to take it down south. There were folks in the 600+ VIN range (which was a big deal at the time) who already had their cars by the time I got mind. Relax, your car will be delivered.

Sorry, but does not make sense I have been "in production" since 11/25 and ordered the Nappa seats, not Next Gen seats. Seems to me they are reworking defects in the first batch and it is taking longer than anyone (including Tesla) ever expected. Have fingers crossed that at least this delayed batch may have the heated steering wheel or a few other goodies not on the early completed P85D's as compensation. After all, a guy can dream can't he?

Interesting. Agree, then it can't be the Next Gen seats. Something is wrong with the 11/21-11/26 cars that's bad enough to delay our deliveries several weeks without an ETA, but not bad enough to just build us new cars from scratch (which would seem to be the fastest solution since the cars being produced now are being completed in just 3-5 days).

Got a response from my DS, however no new info. I won't quote verbatim since I did not ask permission to do so, but, he's waiting on an updated ETA from HQ and should have more info early next week.

At this point I'm starting to doubt a December delivery being possible. It would have to be on a truck probably the Monday before xmas to have a chance to make it to the east coast before the 1st, weather permitting...

Oh well, guess I'll look for an update next week.

Oh, how this thread reminds me of the early days.

Guys, my Sig sat in the Fremont parking lot for at least 2 weeks maybe longer before they could find a trailer to take it down south. There were folks in the 600+ VIN range (which was a big deal at the time) who already had their cars by the time I got mind. Relax, your car will be delivered.

Thanks for your post. I think you 'veterans' of past roadster and Sig deliveries ( Nigel, Bonnie, etc) adding comments like the one above, and a couple Nigel has made, would go a Long way to put some perspective into this situation. TM, as a company, has produced roughly 60,000 + vehicles. this is a huge undertaking.

I have a P85D on order with 'late December' delivery, still in the production queue. I would like to take the 2014 Federal tax credit and be driving the D by the new year. But there is way more in life to worry about.

Alright guys, here are another couple of photos including the frunk details:

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

Hey there MarcG -- that's a really nifty car, just in case nobody's mentioned that to you. Here's my trivia question -- are those next-gen seats? If so, do the back seats fold down flat, now that they're equipped with the taller/better headrests?

Guess you haven't been following the thread recently ;-)
No next-gen seats YET. They are on short supply given the recent issues with them, so i took delivery with the current-gen Nappa leather seats.

Here's a photo of the rear seats if you're still interested (I believe they do have the taller headrests):

IMG_5121.jpg

Oh and I took a half-hour video of the delivery walkthrough - yes, I used the GoPro! If there's enough interest I'll try to find a way to upload it.

Congrats Marc! Car looks great and I definitely want to see the video.

For the cruise control, a light tap up or down increases/decreases the speed by 1mph. Full tap up or down increases/decreases speed by 5mph.