Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now production complete! That was a little fast for my liking. I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, while others are lingering in the black hole for weeks, but should they really be able to build a car --that-- quickly? I guess I can just hope that the status update of when the vehicle really started production was delayed, and that this one is accurate. I'll update again when I hear from my DS about a delivery date, which I expect may happen tomorrow. I have no idea about seats, but haven't heard that I don't have the seats I ordered, which are the Next Generation grey.

I have updated the spreadsheet.

I am trying to figure out the underlying pattern: My car started production 1 day before yours, but has not been completed yet: black next-gen seats, though!
Could delivery potentially occur on the same transporter (Ithaca via Cincinnati)? I was originally quoted a tentative delivery date around 12/20-22.

Something I can't find in this thread or Google (I'm sorry if I overlooked it):

1. What exactly changes when you choose "insane"?
Does it map the motors a different way for a high output?
Does it change the effort for the steering wheel?
Does it change the sensitivity of the throttle?
Does it tighten the suspension?

2. Is there a manual for the P85D (I found the old manual in My Tesla, but no updated version for the P85D).

Thanks for the videos Marc!

From my test drive yesterday. All observations are relative to our P85+
Insane: Simply limits max power to something like 300 KW. No idea what it does for mapping. Insane, is fully wife comfortable and approved. My wife wasn't sure she wanted or needed a 700 Hp car to pick up our boys from time to time. The car is super sane even in "Insane mode"
Steering: No more steering control modes. The Tesla adaptive steering forces feel very good. Fast and Slow. The DS was saying that in "insane" mode it goes into the equivalent of "sport" steering a little earlier.
The throttle is just perfect.
Suspension: there are the speeds that one can set on when the car goes low. I suspect it is only speed dependent and not mode dependent.

P.s. The fit was perfect. No sign of a last minute thrown together vehicle. Standard precision Tesla fit and stitching. When we drove it the car had 24 miles.

As others have reported if you want to have fun it is a great machine. The car feels more stable during high power acceleration in turns. In fact that is insane. But the car will NOT scare anybody. Its reaction is benign. In fact if you don't tell anybody and let them drive they may not ever realize how much of a car they were driving.

P.s The Chicago Tesla is doing a great job and I thank them for allowing us in the busy schedule.

In the pole position at a light: The car next to you is simply standing still. We didn't have a Lambo racing us. The car next to you will simply not know what just happened. The next round of fun is a BMW next to you who you can tell is ready to race you. That happens from time to time in the +. With this puppy let him get ahead of you for a car length and only then push the pedal. Bye Bye, no chance.... I wish tesla would allow to remove the D on the back plate.

Last edited:
It could be that your car was actually in production longer than what was reflected on the status page and someone just got around to flipping the bits. I think we're all assuming the production status update is automated with the steps on the factory floor.

Thanks. I do realize that. In fact I just posted something along those lines in another thread (the black hole thread) where my quick build is being discussed.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Tesla has implemented the reporting of Rated range for the combined EPA number, only. I.e., it shouldn't matter whether the car is set to Sport mode or Insane mode: the Rated range won't change.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Tesla has implemented the reporting of Rated range for the combined EPA number, only. I.e., it shouldn't matter whether the car is set to Sport mode or Insane mode: the Rated range won't change.

Wonder if they'll make a distinction for 19" wheels vs 21" ones. I think @MarcG has 21s?!

delivery of my P85D at 2 pm today at factory - so excited.

Fantastic. Congrats! Looking forward to your report. If you can do any sleuthing on what's happening with the rest of our cars, it'd be much appreciated. :)

It probably does change when set to Insane mode. You should be able to go further if the car deliver power to the motor which has the most efficiency gearing at that given speed. Insane probably deliver max power to both motors.

It probably does change when set to Insane mode. You should be able to go further if the car deliver power to the motor which has the most efficiency gearing at that given speed. Insane probably deliver max power to both motors.
The car can still go a longer distance even if the calculated range left is stuck in the worst-case algorithm. Displayed rated-range has no impact on how far you actually go. And if normal/sport-mode is indeed more efficient then you will get to travel a longer distance even if the rated-range might be a bit misleading.

Thank you for being TMC's "special assignment" reporter, Mark.

I was wondering what mode this 219 mile 90% was done at - SPORT or INSANE. If it was in INSANE mode, could you put the slider into the SPORT mode, and record what would be the 90% rated charge? I think that efficiency in SPORT mode has to be better than in the INSANE mode, and it might be reflected on the display by showing the longer range in SPORT mode. To check this theory you might need to do two recharges in the SPORT mode and see if rated miles after the second 90% charge are higher than 219.

Another thing I was wondering about is that although the 90% 219 miles charge prorates to 219 / .09 = 243 miles at 100%, the 76 miles range in the app snap shot shows 30% state of charge, which would indicate 76 / 0.3 = 253 miles at 100%. Could it be that you've got 219 miles at 90% charge not immediately after the completion of the charge, but some time later? If that is what happened, do you know approximately how much time have passed after the charge and the time you've recorded the 219 miles, and what was the ambient temperature the car was sitting in?

Thanks

Well before I charged overnight I think I was in SPORT, and it definitely got to 90% and stopped charging an hour or two before I checked it. Ambient temps around 10C (50F). I supercharged to 90% at Roseville and got to 220 - this while in SPORT mode since I left the house:

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if they'll make a distinction for 19" wheels vs 21" ones. I think @MarcG has 21s?!

I got 19s

You know... I think it is very cool of Tesla to deliver cars with "regular" Nappa seats to customers then switch to Next Gen once the issue is resolved. I mean really, most manufacturers would simply delay delivery and what will they do with all the returned Nappa seats?? Sounds like an opportunity for those with Textile or other early seats to purchase an upgrade from Tesla in the next month or two...

Also very much looking forward to hearing if Doc's 2pm delivery comes with next gen grey seats or not - especially as he wasn't told to expect otherwise.

Please take ate lots of photos of the interior as that is what I have on order (grey next gen). Thank you!

Well before I charged overnight I think I was in SPORT, and it definitely got to 90% and stopped charging an hour or two before I checked it. Ambient temps around 10C (50F). I supercharged to 90% at Roseville and got to 220 - this while in SPORT mode since I left the house:

View attachment 66011

- - - Updated - - -

I got 19s

Mark. Hi. Just finished from a test drive at the NYC location. I'm a current p85+owner waiting delivery of my p85d.
I want able to get the kwh above 440 while test driving. Held the pedal down many times. Charge was about 50% what output are you maxing at ....at 1/2 charge and at full charge. I know my current 85+ maxes around 330kwh. Hoping we can get to the claimed 515. Thanks!

Mark. Hi. Just finished from a test drive at the NYC location. I'm a current p85+owner waiting delivery of my p85d.
I want able to get the kwh above 440 while test driving. Held the pedal down many times. Charge was about 50% what output are you maxing at ....at 1/2 charge and at full charge. I know my current 85+ maxes around 330kwh. Hoping we can get to the claimed 515. Thanks!

Very confused about what you're asking!?! :confused:

You know... I think it is very cool of Tesla to deliver cars with "regular" Nappa seats to customers then switch to Next Gen once the issue is resolved. I mean really, most manufacturers would simply delay delivery and what will they do with all the returned Nappa seats?? Sounds like an opportunity for those with Textile or other early seats to purchase an upgrade from Tesla in the next month or two...

Also very much looking forward to hearing if Doc's 2pm delivery comes with next gen grey seats or not - especially as he wasn't told to expect otherwise.

Please take ate lots of photos of the interior as that is what I have on order (grey next gen). Thank you!

I am a big TM supporter but I believe there are multiple reasons for delivering customer cars before the issue is resolved. Many other larger manufacturers are just churning out thousands of vehicles that they 'force' dealers to buy and those dealers turn around and 'push' consumers to buy what is on their lots. TM makes each car to an individual's order. Another difference is that TM has guided for certain delivery numbers, both externally (33K) and internally (?) this year. Missing guidance when you are a young company reflects poorly on your bottom line, stock price and willingness of new customers to buy your cars. Finally, TM is still making RWD Ss during this time. They could probably shut down production of the 'Ds' all together until whatever problem(s) is/are resolved but you are taking the highest ASP cars out of the equation.

So, along with being 'very cool' there is a lot of pressure to make money to futher their mission statement.

My car just went to: "In Production. The Tesla factory is building your Model S" status, nice to see. My VIN is 64026 and the order was placed on 10/14 after converting my original P85 order to the P85D. Confirmation was on 10/29 and my VIN was assigned on 11/4. I assume it will be built with the older seats, and reworked later. I'm guessing that it should be completed by the end of this week, just in time for Christmas.