Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As expected, my VIN changed from EFP to FFP this early morning (02:18 GMT+1). There are no overseas deliveries in the spreadsheet with indicated 2014 (EFP) VIN's now. Very comforting to see that many of you are taking delivery! Thanks for all pictures!
Heated steering weel comment : My current BMW's heated wheel gets very hot fast, and needs to by turned off after a few minutes, even in Norwegian cold winter, unless you use protecting driving gloves ;-)

Finally got out of the black hole and took delivery yesterday. It wasn't a great time to do it: it was dark, rainy, and the place where they keep the "new car deliveries" is also not very well lit.
I only drove it for 20 min, enough to reach the detailer to get it OptiCoat'ed.

My detailer found a small chip on the rear right wheel on the hub side. It looks like QC caught it at Tesla since its marked green already.

I'm surprised they let it pass, but anyway: what's the best way to get it fixed? I emailed delivery@ this morning but haven't heard back.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Greg

I have a feeling the green marks are to do with alignment. I remember seeing this in a video I watched recently.

I have a feeling the green marks are to do with alignment. I remember seeing this in a video I watched recently.

I can't watch that video, but it appears to be the video on "Dream Cars" which I did record and watch. Can you tell us about what point in the video you were referring to, so we can try to find it on another video?

More importantly, if the green mark is just there to verify a proper alignment, then it should be on all four wheels, right, and on everyone's cars? This should be pretty simple to check.

I'm also annoyed. If Tesla had been upfront about the heated steering wheel I would have my car now; as it is I'm at least two months out 

I'm actually writing to make you feel better--less annoyed. But to do that I need to explain why you are wrong about the above. And you are actually wrong for a couple of reasons:

1) If you had ordered earlier you might have wound up in the same boat as others who did not get the heated wheel. You might have the car, but no heated steering wheel.
2) If you had timed your order just right, and ordered so that your car went into production after Tesla started adding the heated steering wheel, you still wouldn't have one because you live in California. For now they have only added the heated steering wheel in the three coldest regions and California is not included.

Here's the most important part. It's related to number 2 above.

As I understand it, Tesla still has not officially added the heated steering wheel to the winter weather package. They are including it when they can, and doing so for cars being built in the coldest regions. Unless you have a guarantee from someone that the car you have ordered is coming with a heated steering wheel, it still may not be. If this is important to you, you should definitely talk to someone about it.

I can't watch that video, but it appears to be the video on "Dream Cars" which I did record and watch. Can you tell us about what point in the video you were referring to, so we can try to find it on another video?

More importantly, if the green mark is just there to verify a proper alignment, then it should be on all four wheels, right, and on everyone's cars? This should be pretty simple to check.

It's a shot of a worker assembling the drive unit, once they've put all the bolts in, they use a marker to draw a line over the bolts and onto the motor assembly.
It seems like it could be a sort of tamper seal. Although, I don't know if the same applies to the wheels.

I've been thinking more about this.

Could the fact that the color green was used to mark the chip indicate that they were giving this flaw the "green light" to pass inspection and continue on through to the customer? Might they use a color-coding system? Green for problems that are deemed trivial enough to note and then ignore, yellow for problems that need more review, and red for problems that need to be corrected?

Very possible. It is indeed not something that is very visible, and if it's not critical to safety or performance, maybe it's not a "big deal".

-- Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's also what my detailer told me yesterday. The fact that it's next to the chipped part may simply be a coincidence.

-- Greg

It's a shot of a worker assembling the drive unit, once they've put all the bolts in, they use a marker to draw a line over the bolts and onto the motor assembly.
It seems like it could be a sort of tamper seal. Although, I don't know if the same applies to the wheels.
Marking nut/bolt combos are common practice and tells anyone inspecting later if the nut has backed off from the original torque setting. The green wheel mark I suspect is not that but, as suggested, a QA Pass mark. Obviously the wheel was chipped in the factory probably when the tire was mounted to the wheel. From a structural standpoint it will not be an issue.