Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scroll up just a little bit. I included an excerpt from the manual. It's not 100% clear at this point what the exact best procedure is, but what is clear is that what you were shown is definitely wrong, as per the manual.

The manual excerpt above is for the old two latch frunk lid. The new one has a single latch in the center. So, the method shown to yoyo most likely is correct.

- The longer my delivery slipped with no information the less I felt the excitement of being an early adopter and the more I felt that perhaps piling on pressure to get my car early was just me being impetuous.

Sorry to hear this. I found the forums both comforting and stressful. I truly felt for those in the black hole, particularly when early adopters started seeing later orders being delivered ahead of yours; that has to tarnish the anticipation. It would seem to be easy enough to increase communication to those in this situation, though I can only imagine the internal arguments on transparency vs potential stock impact of a publicly trading company. I would hope comments such as this will reinforce to Tesla that the early adopters are the keenest evangelists and they not lose sight of this as they scale.

Myself, I'm enamoured with my p85d and although a little disappointed at the realization of the Elon range distortion field vs initial measurements of others, have high hopes that this is getting addressed asap. I would still buy it today knowing everything to date :)

Congrats on the car and the seats!

The only positive I'm taking from getting the older seats is that I can enjoy the car now for a few months and then when the new seats are installed it will be sorta like getting a new car again... (sorta...)

Mike
I'm going to let my kids drink sodas in the back seats and drive the new puppy around in the back seats until the new seats come! LOL! Just kidding of course but I certainly won't be a stickler with the seat treatment on my new car with the temporary seats installed so yes, this will be a plus!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats, Osama!! Glad to hear you had a positive experience in the end. And I love your shirt - so relevant!

- - - Updated - - -

One quick refresh and BOOM! My car is finished Production! The positive vibes were the reason I'm sure!

@crazybrit take note...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 613
Just called by my DS - told they could not honor the scheduled 12/27 delivery date. Production completed on 12/23 and was told on that date my P85D was being shipped for a 12/27 delivery.
Now I'm told the car is still in Fremont. My DS also did not know what seats were installed.
He said the only way to be eligible for 2014 tax credits was to pay for the car sight unseen and have it shipped directly to my home. He did not know what day it would be delivered but thought sometime the weeks of either 1/5 or 1/12.

My question to members - do I risk paying now, have interest accrue, wait for possibly weeks - essentially rewarding Tesla for failed performance? Or do I walk away and possibly wrangle with Tesla to get my down payment back?

Perhaps I need to just take the damn car and drive it and forget all of this :)

It does help.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to let my kids drink sodas in the back seats and drive the new puppy around in the back seats until the new seats come! LOL! Just kidding of course but I certainly won't be a stickler with the seat treatment on my new car with the temporary seats installed so yes, this will be a plus!

My DS was quite sincere in saying I could treat the temporary seats as badly as I wanted to. So, I installed the kid seat without the seat protector. Yeah. That's right. I did that.

My question to members - do I risk paying now, have interest accrue, wait for possibly weeks - essentially rewarding Tesla for failed performance? Or do I walk away and possibly wrangle with Tesla to get my down payment back?

Ultimately, that's gotta be your call and I understand your hesitation.

Having said that, I paid on 12/8 when I was originally scheduled for delivery that week and then everything got postponed and I didn't actually take delivery until 12/26. On the first one, I had to pay in advance sight unseen because the car was being shipped to my home. So, it's not unusual where Tesla is concerned to pay "in advance"...

Just called by my DS - told they could not honor the scheduled 12/27 delivery date. Production completed on 12/23 and was told on that date my P85D was being shipped for a 12/27 delivery.
Now I'm told the car is still in Fremont. My DS also did not know what seats were installed.
He said the only way to be eligible for 2014 tax credits was to pay for the car sight unseen and have it shipped directly to my home. He did not know what day it would be delivered but thought sometime the weeks of either 1/5 or 1/12.

I've been considering a re order for a 2015 VIN and it looks like that would mean a March delivery. So you need to assess whether you want to wait that long.

Note that there's been some significant debate about whether this kind of maneuver would qualify as putting the car "in service" in 2014. I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other, but I'd investigate that issue before I took that route.

Yep. A 2015 delivery is now looking like March according to my DS. That's quite a bit of time. I think primary advantage will be *private* resale but in terms of residual guarantee I think a '14 or '15 might be the same (I think they equate months vs model yr).

Re: quality, and I'm probably in the minority here, but i don't think a car being fixed during QA (unless it's paint) would be any less from a quality standpoint. For me, its just the principal of picking up an incomplete car. Honestly, I think I'm sour from the whole process - from finding out my awesome p85+ wasn't the best anymore :), to getting hosed on trade in, to spending the extra $, to the delays, seats, range issues. I went from a very happy tesla customer to a very unhappy tesla customer. Perhaps I need to just take the damn car and drive it and forget all of this :)
My re-order was originally late February and had moved up to late January. I'm not sure if this was part of a normal process or specific to me. Tesla have a system where they can raise a "case" to get a delivery date moved up. In my case, when I re-ordered they still had no idea when my car would be available after more than 20 days of build and I had already paid and initiated processes to receive the car (as it had originally been completed) so I felt I had a case to move up the date; however, I imagine this is not a guaranteed process. Where the car is essentially ready to deliver it might be a more difficult sell.

The manual excerpt above is for the old two latch frunk lid. The new one has a single latch in the center. So, the method shown to yoyo most likely is correct.

If it is correct it would be nice if Tesla update the manual for the updated Frunk design. As it stands some DSs are showing one method, some are showing another, and some of us who are taking direct delivery are left to fend for ourselves, which means relying on the manual. The manual should always have correct information. It's in electronic format. It's not as if they have to go to press with the thing.

My re-order was originally late February and had moved up to late January. I'm not sure if this was part of a normal process or specific to me. Tesla have a system where they can raise a "case" to get a delivery date moved up. In my case, when I re-ordered they still had no idea when my car would be available after more than 20 days of build and I had already paid and initiated processes to receive the car (as it had originally been completed) so I felt I had a case to move up the date; however, I imagine this is not a guaranteed process. Where the car is essentially ready to deliver it might be a more difficult sell.

Yep I think I remember you mentioning the "case" approach and when they inquired for me today they said they couldn't guarantee that an exception could be made. I'm going to push a little harder.

Sounds like a great experience, including the scarfs(?) on the seats?

Yes, the scarves were draped on the seats in lieu of a bow on the car. I thought they were a really nice touch.

Please do post pics of next gen rear seats folded down. Also would be interested in the comfort level of them vs perf rear seats.

Congratulations, Mike

Folded seat photos. Apologies for the dark exposure, I was a bit too excited for anything better. I'll be doing a better set of photos at some point soon.

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

FullSizeRender 14.jpg

All... I have not had the privilege in my life to buy from Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren and the other high end ICE mfrs.... and from the more mass-produced group like VAG and Daimler AG, which I have, I've never seen anything quite like Tesla. Even when I did, I got the car sitting on the lot, that was designed four years ago to be .0003% better than the one designed five years ago.

I get that there are MASSIVE opportunities for improvement, but bottom line - as a now happy P85D recipient - they DID pull it off. The car is real. The acceleration is out of this world. It is comfortable, quiet, and "greener" than anything else that isn't hand-built I've seen on the planet yet. This is my first Tesla, and I now get the whole "grin" thing.

I hope all of you get your cars as New Year's present, and all of us get some software updates for better efficiency... and I think you will agree they pulled off a HELL of a stunt. There are a lot of other car manufacturers that are in some HOT water now that they realized it is NOT impossible to do what Tesla is doing. Lets give them some support for what they managed to do in an industry that moves as slow as molasses. It is a SUPERB feat of engineering.

+100

Originally ordered an S85 and upgraded when P85D was announced (confirmed 10/28) entered production 11/27 finally completed production 12/28! Not sure if Brown color caused the extra delay (beyond what other initial production runs have experienced) or if my delay was because I told Tesla I wouldn't be able to pickup the car at the end of December due to traveling. Just happy to see the dashboard finally change.