Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truck ICE'ing supercharger spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man does this tick me off...totally empty parking lot at the Santa Rosa, NM charger.

Meathead.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Ferengii and KenC
The left three stalls are "shared" General Parking spots so technically ICE vehicles can park there for short periods. It does seem like some ICE drivers do this intentionally when there are regular spots just a few feet away. We always try to use the shared spots when Supercharging in an effort to keep the non-shared spots (if they exist) open for Teslas needing to charge.

Yes they are shared spots but I think, looking by the vehicle and the stickers on it, that the owner was just 'one of those' looking to bother Tesla owners...it happens but I'll admit, it does annoy me.
Yeah, it usually annoys us as well. Hopefully as Superchargers are used more, they will remove those "shared" General Parking spots, where possible, and make them Tesla-only. In Colorado, they recently enacted a law that allows for fines of several hundred dollars (assuming appropriate signage is placed) if a car parks in an EV charging spot and doesn't charge. Hopefully such signage and threat of fines will reduce the number of cars blocking Superchargers.

Yeah, it usually annoys us as well. Hopefully as Superchargers are used more, they will remove those "shared" General Parking spots, where possible, and make them Tesla-only. In Colorado, they recently enacted a law that allows for fines of several hundred dollars (assuming appropriate signage is placed) if a car parks in an EV charging spot and doesn't charge. Hopefully such signage and threat of fines will reduce the number of cars blocking Superchargers.

I'm guessing being classified as shared spots has something to do with the agreement Tesla made to allow the chargers.

Reactions: TexasTezla
Definitely seen this before, and clearly a prick move when there are so many other places to park. I wonder what would happen to my Tesla if I just parked in front of a gas pump and then went shopping or out to lunch, especially if it were the only station for 50 miles...

Hope for karma.

It'd get towed and probably not on a nice flatbed. Then you'd have to pay to get it back and probably find a scratch here and a ding there. So probably not the karma you're aiming for. ☕

The left three stalls are "shared" General Parking spots so technically ICE vehicles can park there for short periods. It does seem like some ICE drivers do this intentionally when there are regular spots just a few feet away. We always try to use the shared spots when Supercharging in an effort to keep the non-shared spots (if they exist) open for Teslas needing to charge.

They have the red Tesla signs on the fence. If they are the regular signs, it says for Tesla use only.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I believe the sign in that particular stall says it's ok to park there for 30 min or something like that. Although it's pretty apparent there are plenty of other open spaces at the time this photo was taken. I don't like that they parked in a stall either. Seems inconsiderate at the least. We've charged at Santa Rosa many times, never had a problem with ICE'ing. There are however lots of vehicles in that lot most nights. So maybe he parked there when the lot was full? I think the railroad uses the hotel for their maintenance crews, and we've seen a lot of railroad vehicles there before. In this case, while the person was probably doing it on purpose, at least there were still open chargers. Look at the bright side, with that stall blocked, at least you'd know you weren't having to share the charger's output with another Tesla :)

They have the red Tesla signs on the fence. If they are the regular signs, it says for Tesla use only.
The Santa Rosa, NM Supercharger has 6 stalls. The first 3 stalls on the left have shared "General Parking". The next 3 stalls (1 plus 2 on other side of Supercharger cabinets) are for Tesla Electric Vehicle Charging only. If you look at the sign in the original picture above, you can see a circle with a number in it. The original photo isn't high enough resolution to see the General Parking time limit but usually it's 30 or 60 minutes. Here's an example from another location showing a time limited General Parking sign:
1617110834606.png

The signs are different if the spots are only for Tesla vehicle charging.
1617110998602.png

If you look at the sign at this location in Santa Rosa, on the right the spot is reserved for Tesla vehicle charging only. The ones on the left, as shown in the original image above, are time limited General Parking.
1617111372779.png

The ones on the left are General Parking, so ICE vehicles are allowed to park there for short periods of time. Of course many ICE drivers don't pay attention to the different signs and park there anyways. Because of this, we always try to use the shared General Parking spots when charging, hoping that ICE vehicles won't use the Tesla Vehicle Charging Only spots and they will remain open for Tesla users.
1617111423058.png

It'd get towed and probably not on a nice flatbed. Then you'd have to pay to get it back and probably find a scratch here and a ding there. So probably not the karma you're aiming for. ☕
My second statement was a non-sequitur: the first statement (about parking in front of a gas pump) is to make the point that I wouldn't do that because it's a prick move and I'd expect my car to get trashed and towed for doing so. The second statement (about karma) is a wistful comment that hopefully karma will catch up with the truck driver. So if the truck driver's truck got scratched, dinged, and towed improperly for blocking an EV charge point, that would be exactly the type of karma I'm looking for.