Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump pulls out of Paris climate deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, if you don't want to spend money securing our borders, how about deporting criminal aliens versus sanctuary cities? Surely there is no benefit to a civilized society of harboring criminals?

How many hundreds of billions of dollars should we waste so you don't have to be scared of a 2°F rise in 100 years? What makes your bogeyman more important than mine?

At least mine is a real threat now, versus yours as a possible threat in a century.
It's 2C, not 2F. And there's nothing there about 100 years.

How are we supposed to take your argument seriously, when you don't even know the facts of the agreement?

Reactions: slipnslider
Many of us are pro-America and do not want Europe dictating what we do.

Europe doesn't dictate what we do. In fact, the US voluntarily determined it's own commitments to the Paris accord. And in a lot of ways, we dictate what Europe does, through our commitment to our allies, NATO, and in providing a small amount of foreign aid to less advantaged but well meaning countries. Trump's foreign policy angle is jeopardizing our leadership to this long held alliance such that in the future, we may find our influence greatly reduced as the rest of the former allied west forgets about us and goes their own way. In the long run, this will hurt America and reduce our influence in the world (this is why Russia is suddenly happy with us), all so we don't have to pay a small amount of money to do the right thing.

Also he uses the "97% of scientists" statistic, which is misleading. I'm sure the number is high, and possibly/likely in the high 90s, but it's not 97% of scientists.
The 97 Percent Solution

You are correct, that the 97% of scientists statistic is misleading. The real fact is that the consensus about climate change is NOT 97%, it is above 99.94% :
Home | Science and Global Warming
The consensus is actually 99.98% (only 5 out of 24210 papers reject it).
The previous study excluded all papers that did not explicitely state agreement in the abstract.

What you are saying is basically un-American. As an American, I don't feel I owe the world anything. The world should be thanking us for the automobile and airplane plus countless technological advances. Yes there was pollution, but our success should not be punished. It is the future that matters not the past. You would prefer our workers and citizens suffer so as to not offend the rest of the world? People are getting their heads chopped off and you are worried about 0.3 Fahrenheit in 100 years? You think we should just print more money and steal from those who work hard to pay for your American guilt and fantasy world? Liberals are destroying the country from inside out to satisfy their own guilty sense of morality. What you don't understand is you are behaving as a pawn for the new world order where the USA is diminished and the United Nations is empowered.

Be careful. It sounds like you want to ride the success train while completely ignoring any responsibility for negative consequences along the way. That is not a sensible way to live.

What he said was also not un-American. In fact, it might be more un-American to insinuate that he is un-American. America has long been a balanced blend of liberal and conservative viewpoints, one of it's great strengths, and to classify half the country as un-American is un-American.

Climate change is a big deal because it has global impact. A terrorist cutting off your head is very localized impact, unless we reach a point where there are machete wielding terrorists on every street corner. But even then, if they are dealt with, the problem is quickly abated. Climate change has immense inertia. If we wait until the effects are plainly obvious, it will take decades or longer to reverse the problem, if we can reverse it at all, and the effects could be truly devastating. The risks are very much on par with head chopping terrorists.

How much money are you going to send to India as your contribution for the Paris agreement?
You are probably not going to get far with this argument either. I've already donated many hundreds of dollars this year to organizations addressing climate change. It's also why I bought a Tesla. If I cared nothing for climate change, I would probably still be driving a Mustang GT.

another head banger
18815077_692986627564006_5555676228490181190_o.jpg

That's ridiculous and you know it. If you go back in time, you can go back basically to infinity, which means all science is meaningless, because the timeframe, regardless of what it is, compared to infinity approaches zero percent. Congratulations, you just invalidated all science in the history of mankind. Or maybe it's just bad argument.

It's 2C, not 2F. And there's nothing there about 100 years.

How are we supposed to take your argument seriously, when you don't even know the facts of the agreement?

Have you read it? If so how much? The temperature difference is a irrelevant other than it is a very small amount, tomato versus tomatoe, it's still nonsense. Neither you nor I could ever prove it in our lifetimes. Can you tell me what the weather is going to be like next week? With 100% accuracy?

Why did he exclude study 10? That would bring the average down slightly?

But this is more scientific than the 97% approach.

Because study 10 is the one, often cited study that incorrectly concluded the 97% data. He has more detailed paper refuting it, you can read a bit more detail on the page:
Method | James Lawrence Powell

You can download the full paper from which the figure was taken and the paper explains the exclusion.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max*
Have you read it? If so how much? The temperature difference is a irrelevant other than it is a very small amount, tomato versus tomatoe, it's still nonsense. Neither you nor I could ever prove it in our lifetimes. Can you tell me what the weather is going to be like next week? With 100% accuracy?

Predicting the weather at a specific time and location is very difficult, because it depends on large number of chaotic processes and millions of variables. However, the climate is a large scale average of global weather over long time, which is much easier to predict. To understand this, compare it to predicting the value of a dice roll: it can be anything from 1 to 6, very difficult to predict. However, predicting how many times you will roll a 6 out of a million tries is much easier, it is an elementary probability problem and you have a very good chance to get a fairly accurate prediction compared to the actual experimental result. This is statistics 101.

Predicting the weather at a specific time and location is very difficult, because it depends on large number of chaotic processes and millions of variables. However, the climate is a large scale average of global weather over long time, which is much easier to predict. To understand this, compare it to predicting the value of a dice roll: it can be anything from 1 to 6, very difficult to predict. However, predicting how many times you will roll a 6 out of a million tries is much easier, it is an elementary probability problem and you have a very good chance to get a fairly accurate prediction compared to the actual experimental result. This is statistics 101.
Some people on this forum don't believe in statistics because, after all, 99% of human history was before statistics were "invented" by European elites.

Although I understand the point you are trying to make, I don't think statistics are the issue. It's the fact that we don't have enough data or understanding regarding how planets change on a global scale. We're dealing with a few hundred years of observation for a process that happens on a billions of years scale.

What you're asking is much worse than predicting the weather next week. It's like predicting the weather, with all of those chaotic processes, plus planetary orbits, plus solar expansion, going on for 100 years instead of .001 years. That's 100,000x more complex for the math majors.

You can't predict who will win an election, or the weather 2 days from now, but you can predict the weather in 100 years down to 1/10 of a degree? OK I totally believe you! And a minuscule change in temperature is going to kill all life on this planet? And we should spend $200 trillion on this theory over the course of a 100 years? OK great idea! I'm fine with it as long as you pay for it!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
It's the fact that we don't have enough data or understanding regarding how planets change on a global scale.
We have more than enough data to know a LOT about AGW. For example, we know with very high certainty that the current models of global warming may well underestimate the peril, since it is uncertain when the permafrost methane deposits tipping point will be. There is no rosy scenario.

It would be nice to know more, but your choice for president is gutting American planetary science.

on what grounds? just not agreeing with his politics doesn't make the cut

Nothing has been proven yet, but there is strong evidence that he is quite probably guilty of obstruction of justice and it could go much further. The investigations into his business affairs as well as other activities he has done as president are turning up a lot of irregularities.

I think that a large number of people around him are going away for a long time. If Trump was involved in any of their crimes, all they need to do to save their own skin is flip on him. It's quite possible that somebody already has flipped, but the investigators are making completely sure they have an airtight case. The FBI and Mueller are being very careful to ensure the case against anyone who is guilty in this is airtight.

When Nixon was going to be impeached, the crime that started it all happened in June 1972 and the House Judiciary Committee didn't start impeachment hearings until May 1974, it took another 2 1/2 months to get the articles out of Committee. These things take a lot of time.

Whether or not the Republican majority has the cajones to actually do anything is still an open question. If public pressure continues to increase, they might act to save their jobs ahead of the midterms. If not, a lot of them might lose their jobs.

If Trump doesn't die of a heart attack from his bad diet and the stress, odds are well above zero he will die in prison.

Reactions: KJD and SageBrush
We have more than enough data to know a LOT about AGW. For example, we know with very high certainty that the current models of global warming may well underestimate the peril, since it is uncertain when the permafrost methane deposits tipping point will be. There is no rosy scenario.

It would be nice to know more, but your choice for president is gutting American planetary science.

I think it was quoted in this video as 100 trillion but I saw the 200 trillion number perhaps on Fox news, for whatever that's worth. The cost over 100 years of the Paris agreement. I switch every few minutes between the two news networks.

I think it was quoted in this video as 100 trillion but I saw the 200 trillion number perhaps on Fox news, for whatever that's worth. The cost over 100 years of the Paris agreement. I switch every few minutes between the two news networks.

The US agreed to $3B a year, or $300B over 100 years. So Faux News is off by less than a thousand fold. No wonder they are your preferred news source.

I'm waiting for you to estimate the costs of business as usual.

I agree it sounds crazy, but I can't figure out any other reason for the left's policies and positions. It makes zero sense to me, other than the New World Order theory.

Why else should we not secure our borders? Why else do libs want us to give up sovereignty to Paris and other nations? @thx1139 even admitted he is pro open borders, just not for many years. He makes good points about the elite class (richer than Soros) funding this. All the anti-Trump sentiment (in addition to his own craziness) is fueled by the left elite who are annoyed they have an unexpected speedbump in establishing their new world order.

Thanks for the opensecrets.org link will check it out
Dont twist my words. I am not for giving our sovereignty to other nations. I am for pro-open borders when it doesnt mean anything. I am for a secure border, but a stupid wall is not the answer. I am not for creating a country of people who cower in the corner afraid of their own shadow.

My question is why wouldnt you want a world peaceful enough and successful enough that you could freely travel, could freely work. That doesnt mean a one world government or anything like that. What are you afraid of? People that are different then you?

The elite are not funding this. The elite I mentioned are not left. The elite I mentioned and shown in opensecrets are not left, but far right and far libertarian. Soro's is the rights boogieman because he helped form a couple liberal bent media organizations. You know sorta like Murdoch did with his media empire including Fox News and the Wall Street Journal. My anti-Trump sentiment is because he is a lying sexist bigot, who has verbally admitted to sexual assault, who has admitted predatory behavior to young girls, who is just stupid, has no interest in learning, and someone who would have been more successful had he just put his money in stock index funds. Trump has no saving grace, no decent or interesting policies and encourages hatred and encouraging fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.