Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Artist's depiction of TSLA SP action.

giphy.gif

I wrote calls as a swing this morning. Still can’t close them out. **** Robinhood! I hope there is a class action lawsuit

That's terrible. I use Robinhood as well (didn't intend for my position to grow to be as big as it has now become), and if I could transfer my shares elsewhere at the same cost basis I would. As it is, I feel somewhat locked in now. I will look into whether or not I can move my shares to another broker.

The free trades are pretty nice, but I feel like I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Something like today's SNAFU could have cost me hundreds or thousands if the timing were worse. The only other consolation is maybe they're working out kinks in their new in-house clearing system.

At any rate, rambling...was up half the night with a sick toddler.

Did anyone else know that Tripp had fled to Hungary?

-----------------
DuLyeR_U8AEmg85.jpg

-----------------

I wonder... any lawyers here... could a defendant moving to another country after a lawsuit was filed appear to be an attempt to evade justice, and cause problems for them in court?
Odd choice. Maybe they grant asylum, but they do have extradition treaty with the US. If he was running he should have run to someplace with no extradition... no asylum needed. I guess it's possible he just happens to have family there...

Can you clarify? Were you referring to the Manufacturer? Underwriters of the ABS offering appear to be Citi and Deutsche Bank?
Citi and Deutsche are the arrangers (I'm using European definitions because it has been a while since I have worked on a US securitisation). They market the bonds to investors.

The underwriter is the entity that decides if the borrower can have a lease. Teslas finance arm will decide this. Because they decide who qualifies for a lease/loan their "quality" is directly linked to the expected performance of the loans.

The ratings agencies will assess Tesla's policy around lending (e.g. what fico scores they need a borrower to have before they lend, whether there is a required deposit, how much money the borrower needs to earn, etc.) And decided if Tesla finance have a strict or loose policy, if it is loose they will apply a penalty (They model higher losses) to the expected performance of the loans being securitise. This affects bond sizes and pricing.

Criminal liability doesn't necessarily stop with Mr. Tripp though: if he was aided and abetted by members of the media, for example by a certain Linette Lopez at "Business Insider" who appears to have used Tripp as a primary source frequently, then the liability - and Tesla's ability to collect damages - might extend to much more wealthy entities as well.

If such evidence emerges Tesla could also amend their complaint with RICO claims and ask for triple damages - i.e. 500 million dollars (!). It would also give Tesla the right to discovery from Ms. Lopez and Business Insider in general, request identifying transaction details of short sellers, and generally pierce the corporate veil of underlying monetary interests that conspired against Tesla in a potentially criminal fashion.

So if Business Insider, or short sellers, or Tesla competitors did something shady and criminal, and it can be proven by Tesla, or Tripp flips on Lopez and others and delivers evidence of a criminal conspiracy, this could be the "Terry Gene Bollea (a.k.a. Hulk Hogan) vs. Gawker Media" moment of Tesla FUD spreading media outlets - and/or of short sellers and other entities criminally connected to Mr. Tripp.

Beyond being able to collect damages, Tesla would also set a precedent of aggressively going after those who are trying to harm them.
Agree 100%. Elon is a very good chess player, and I don't think Tripp is his target. Through discovery, looking at where the money flows and "cutting a deal", I think we'll see subsequent charges against BI, New York Times, Montana Skeptic, Jim Chanos, Einhorn, Spiegel, et al. Mr. Tripp is small potatoes. As the list of players increases, it is very reasonable that RICO will be invoked. What they have been doing is very much Racketeering. Their efforts and methods are synchronized and far beyond free speech, well within the realm of stock manipulation. I wouldn't be surprised to see some SEC rule changes for stock derivatives.

I'm with the Honey Badger.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Elon is a very good chess player, and I don't think Tripp is his target. Through discovery, looking at where the money flows and "cutting a deal", I think we'll see subsequent charges against BI, New York Times, Montana Skeptic, Jim Chanos, et al. Mr. Tripp is small potatoes. As the list of players increases, it is very reasonable that RICO will be invoked. What they have been doing is very much Racketeering. Their efforts and methods are synchronized and far beyond free speech, well within the realm of stock manipulation. I wouldn't be surprised to see some SEC rule changes for stock derivatives.

I'm with the Honey Badger.
favorite post ever

Status
Not open for further replies.