TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TSLA Technical Analysis

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Robert.Boston, Dec 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Anyone have a chart from Feb 2016 for comparison?

2. anthonyj

anthonyj Active Member

C396A67F-43B2-40F2-BB9E-CBDA684E6020.png Megaphone topping pattern. Hopefully one more upswing

3. Zhelko Dimic

Zhelko Dimic Careful bull

What's the point of coming into technical analysis thread to tell us how technical analysis doesn't work? Are you trolling? I can't see another reason to do it in this thread.
    What's the point of saying that in general, anywhere, when it's been said numerous times, and fought thousands of time? Again, everything points to trolling and trying to rile up hornet's nest. I guess your provocation did work...

BTW, should you plan to answer to this post, I'm unlikely to ever see it, I'll let you guess why (saying why used to be frowned upon)...

• Informative x 1
  4. Zhelko Dimic

Feb '16 TSLA lost around 50% from the top achieved few months beforehand. That 50% loss did coincide and slightly penetrated 200 moving average on weekly, but it recovered the next week. 200 weekly is at 268-269 today, sudden drop would probably take it no lower than 265

5. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Member

Could the 200ma be relied upon even in a severe market downswing? I empathize with your tagline, by the way - "Careful bull".

6. Zhelko Dimic

No, I don't think it can't be relied upon. Probability that it will arrest the drop is higher than any other random band, but there are no 100% assurances. If market fundamentals didn't turn in Feb '16, we don't know what would have happened.

I wouldn't be surprised that 200 ma line gets challenged, played with, even lost for few weeks, but I would be surprised it really gets trampled, i.e. price goes under $240 or so. I have been surprised in the past tho, but I was less careful too. I kept looking at TSLA as if it were just another stock. And, btw TSLA loves head-fakes, both up and down. It loves breaking technical levels, even confirming breakdown/breakup, just to reverse in next few days. I've seen it many, many times.

Having said all of that, we're more likely than not, in a period where TSLA will outperform over the next 24 months, and not underperform. So it's all about controlling your personal risk and optimizing exposure while making sure wrong call doesn't obliterate you. The way I think about it now, I'd rather take 5 years to get where I want, rather than make 6 months play, that can decimate me. But I had luck to run number of years with close to 100% gains, so individual situations vary.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Had to search.

Looks like a result of macros - heightened political & economic risk - amplified by TSLA.

Broadening Formation

8. Zhelko Dimic

If I were not fully invested already, I would think after today that this is a decent entry point. Both Chaikin and ichimoky signalling buy point...
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 4.35.12 PM.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

#1369 Curt Renz, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Technical analyst Tim Ord was a regular guest on my TV show. This is what he distributed a half hour ago regarding the NYSE Momentum Oscillator relative to the S&P 500 ETF (SPX).

upload_2019-1-2_17-9-28.png

• Helpful x 4
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  10. TradingInvest

TradingInvest Active Member

William O'Neil has an investment/trading system called "CAN SLIM", which is used to identify stocks that will have huge rally after a breakout. I think his approach makes sense. You can google or read his book called "How to make money in stocks" for more about CAN SLIM. William O'Neil is a smart investor/trader in my view.

The current TSLA set up might trigger the CAN SLIM system. Most of the requirement are already met, we still need a good Q4 and good market direction. When a cup-and-handle breakout happens and those criteria are met, the stock has a high chance to gain a lot.

Don't fix your mind that certain things will happen for sure, instead, keep in mind what MIGHT happen, estimate the probability, prepare for it, observe facts and make rational decisions when facts are presented.

Also keep in mind, a cup-and-handle break out frequently re-test the breakout level to make sure. It doesn't always re-test. If the breakout fails, the pullback could be very strong.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. anthonyj

anthonyj Active Member

I've attached my expert technical analysis for 2019

www.tradingview.png

• Funny x 10
  12. TrendTrader007

TrendTrader007 Active Member

5870B721-4259-4308-AA18-4F638B23E9A3.png $tsla is overdue for a year similar to 2013- big white candle like in 2013
    Will it be 2019 or 2020- I’m positioned accordingly

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. TrendTrader007

TrendTrader007 Active Member

06E5FB04-E1C2-42A4-AC1E-DE119B06D72B.png $tsla if you look at 13, 34 and 200 EMAs going back to 2010 IPO without interference from daily chart candle movements you’ll notice a setup similar to early 2013 or early 2017 with 13 over 34 just crossed over positively
    Either ways it’s all good in favor of bulls

14. dmvevguy

dmvevguy Member

I think it will be this year...just too much bullish news esp with China / Model Y / S&P 500 inclusion and if they can prove FSD demo coast to coast trip internal testing this year...it's a done deal.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. nursebee

nursebee Member

I think in another week or two the TSLA chart will resemble the recent bullish action in TREE

16. anthonyj

anthonyj Active Member

This was supposed to be a joke...:oops:

17. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

• Informative x 2
  18. jeewee3000

jeewee3000 Member

TSLA touching the lower Bollinger Band on hourly chart in pre-market trading. (and approaching the lower BB on daily chart)

Could provide support (approximately $292 and $289 respectively). If those levels hold, the stock could hike IMO.

• Helpful x 2
  19. nursebee

nursebee Member

OOPS!

20. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Technical analyst Tim Ord was a regular guest on my TV show. After today's market close he issued the comment posted below in regard to the NYSE McClellan Summation Index. BTW Sherm McClellan and his son Tom were also among my regulars.

When this index reaches above +500 (today’s close was +554), it is implied the market has reached “escape velocity” and a new uptrend has started. There can be corrections that follow but overall higher prices are expected and an intermediate term bullish sign.

• Informative x 2