Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tsunami update (of hurt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To what extent can Tesla utilize this influx of capital? The CU review alone must be bringing a lot of new investors to the stock.

Are you referring to a possible subsequent offering of shares by the company? During the Wednesday conference call Elon said he does not anticipate one for a while. Money being paid by buyers of the stock in the open market goes to people who are selling their shares in the open market; the company treasury receives no new cash.

Another nice day to update the Tsunamometer:

Total short losses since 26oct12 (based on avg. short interest of 29.48 million and 40% short interest rate):

Trading: $1,349 million
Interest paid: $201 million
Total losses from shorting: $1,550 million

Starting today, I am assuming 1/2 short interest
(15 million), as it could theoretically be anywhere from zero to 30+ million right now.

If as Elon suspects there are naked short sellers there, its possible we haven't seen anything close to the end of this price run. It could go "ballistic" :D

But "ballistic" means equally rapid fall as the rise. What we really want is "escape velocity"! Or as Buzz Lightyear so eloquently put it, "To infinity, and beyond!"

:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

"there are valid reasons to think Tesla will fail, but most of what you see Shorts talking about in the press is pure B.S."

^ AMEN TO THAT!

Being a tech entrepreneur myself, it is simply astonishing how many if not most people in the so-called "financial services" industry have NO CLUE how innovative disruptive start-ups function! When you add to that the pervasive FUD disseminated by the Petroleum Institute and other mouthpieces for Big Oil, one can really appreciate how Elon feels like he is emerging from a "long dark night."

Being a tech entrepreneur myself, it is simply astonishing how many if not most people in the so-called "financial services" industry have NO CLUE how innovative disruptive start-ups function! When you add to that the pervasive FUD disseminated by the Petroleum Institute and other mouthpieces for Big Oil, one can really appreciate how Elon feels like he is emerging from a "long dark night."

Why would you have a clue when your only function is to skim money out of the market? They are thieves, and I am not being hyperbolic. Many justifications will come up for the "service" they are providing the market, but they are just excuses. Listening to HFT's justify their existence is most amusing.

Are there still significant shorts out there?

It's possible that it's been all the new buy ins have kept the price up, with TSLA being profitable now and the CR review and everything. For example, there's a guy I know at work who has been saying for months now that he will buy in "once they are profitable." Well, Thursday when it was down to the mid 60s I told him he had a chance and reminded him of what he's been saying but he said "he's waiting for the price to go back down." Maybe there's enough people like him but instead don't want to miss out on the action that is TSLA. We do have 2 more Elon announcements over the next 2 weeks.

Or maybe I'm delusional. I rolled up some options today but kept the profits, I did not "double down" as who knows what will happen next. It's so exciting! ha

It's possible that it's been all the new buy ins have kept the price up, with TSLA being profitable now and the CR review and everything. For example, there's a guy I know at work who has been saying for months now that he will buy in "once they are profitable." Well, Thursday when it was down to the mid 60s I told him he had a chance and reminded him of what he's been saying but he said "he's waiting for the price to go back down." Maybe there's enough people like him but instead don't want to miss out on the action that is TSLA. We do have 2 more Elon announcements over the next 2 weeks.

Or maybe I'm delusional. I rolled up some options today but kept the profits, I did not "double down" as who knows what will happen next. It's so exciting! ha
Cool. I'm late to the party and thinking of getting in :)

Are you referring to a possible subsequent offering of shares by the company? During the Wednesday conference call Elon said he does not anticipate one for a while. Money being paid by buyers of the stock in the open market goes to people who are selling their shares in the open market; the company treasury receives no new cash.

Thanks, Curt. I must have already known that. Perhaps I should rephrase the question: if the stock's price is pushed downward due to excessive short selling, is there a point where the company itself could be negatively affected by it. (I guess one potential problem would be if the company had pledged stock as collateral.)

Thanks, Curt. I must have already known that. Perhaps I should rephrase the question: if the stock's price is pushed downward due to excessive short selling, is there a point where the company itself could be negatively affected by it. (I guess one potential problem would be if the company had pledged stock as collateral.)
Weakness in the stock would hurt in at least four ways
1. Employee options less valuable, harder to keep your super stars
2. Weakness would leave potential customers thinking you may nt be around to honor war anteres and service product
3. Suppliers may be afraid to give credit line
4. Secondary offering if needed would not be possible