Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twitter and the Chief Twit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the one hand I can well believe that Twitter was massively overstaffed, and the staff that were there were pampered. The fact he's fired 1/2 of them and another bunch have resigned (voluntarily, or under duress) and it's still operational tends to suggest that. I saw it said elsewhere that Twitter has grown massively in headcount in recent years, despite not having grown itself as a business. There was - in my humble opinion - a lot of fat that could be trimmed.

I fortunately barely care about Twitter, so all of these goings on is more fascinating than it is troubling. I think it would be fair to say that Musk's star has diminished greatly from how this has all played out, though, and given he has massive debts to service each year due to the purchase price he has a very limited amount of time to do something the company has never achieved before - monetising casual users.
Layoffs, restructuring, new business model, new features, whatever happens $54.20 per share is a a monumental ball and chain that Twitter will be dragging until the end, even if they somehow achieve moderate success in every other way, no two ways about it.

Reactions: yessuz and Durzel
On the one hand I can well believe that Twitter was massively overstaffed, and the staff that were there were pampered. The fact he's fired 1/2 of them and another bunch have resigned (voluntarily, or under duress) and it's still operational tends to suggest that. I saw it said elsewhere that Twitter has grown massively in headcount in recent years, despite not having grown itself as a business. There was - in my humble opinion - a lot of fat that could be trimmed.

There is also an argument to be made that Musk has never been coy about his approach to business, attitude to WFH, etc. There is evidence of layoffs at SpaceX, return to work mandates imposed on Tesla staff, etc. People working at Twitter had to haved expected this sort of treatment when he took over.

On the flip side I can't see how his managerial style will pay dividends in the case of a company like Twitter. I don't think he can upend the expected work culture, perks expectations and work/life balance in those class of companies, in Silicon Valley, though I don't doubt a certain breed of managers and company owners will be watching how well he does to see if they can recalibrate their own balance of power.

The s**t hot developers and other professionals will have plenty of options available to them if they haven't left already. What he's likely to end up with are people who can't resign - for whatever reason, e.g. H1B visas, dependant family, financial commitments, etc - and career sociopaths. It's debatable whether those people will be the cream of the crop.

I fortunately barely care about Twitter, so all of these goings on is more fascinating than it is troubling. I think it would be fair to say that Musk's star has diminished greatly from how this has all played out, though, and given he has massive debts to service each year due to the purchase price he has a very limited amount of time to do something the company has never achieved before - monetising casual users.
i have been working in the company which was acquired by massive conglomerate and then had ~50% of workforce slashed "because lean modafaka". it resulted in horrible environment to work in, business decreased in TIMES if couple years. then another round of redundancies which cut another 1/3 of the staff. lead to even less business. I took voluntary on the third cut...

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The problem is you can run something like that with a skeleton staff just fine.. until something goes wrong. You also can't do *new* stuff without the staff working to do it. Saving salaries isn't going to save the company - Elon has loaded it with so much debt it would have to expand its advertising massively just to stay still.

Reactions: Durzel
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of

Seriously

Even more stupid than Agile - and THAT set a very high bar

Edit: wait - you were joking right? Just seeing if anyone would bite ... and I did :(

Tell me you were joking
I definitely skimmed over that - can't say I've ever seen pair programming involve two keyboards and mice connected. It's usually one person driving at a time and the other monitoring/talking through the process. Been used rather sparingly in my experience and I'm not a huge fan of it as it has a massive impact on most people's performance - not sure the "benefits" are that much greater than the normal pull with code review but that depends on process.

There are some good bits of agile for sure but there's also a cargo cult-like approach some take with it and many see it as a way to track work more than anything. Still 20+ years of experience and most places don't really practice what they preach anyway.

I'm not sure why some people seem attached to the idea that everyone being unloaded are devs anyway. There'll be a large contingent of recruitment, payroll, compliance, HR, ads management, general admin, etc. that are gone. Probably a large group of the dev team are on H1B visas so they are kind of stuck. Since Twittter is largely in-house AFAIK it may take some time for the cracks to show but also since it's in-house when bad stuff happens they'll be in trouble. Bigger concern short-term would be the large number of advertisers that have abandoned the platform and probably compliance issues they are about to have.

I can see an Agile approach for say "we need to add this new feature to our existing code", but that's about it really. Whoever added the "Failing early is good" part is a genius tbh. How about "failing is bad, so let's not fail" instead?

Likewise the nonsense about "if it's not done by the end of the sprint, we'll just add it to a later sprint" wtf??? how about "Let's just get this bit done then we can move on" instead?

Where I work they converted to Agile, spent who knows how much in training people, reorganised the cubicles into hellscapes called "Collaborative workspaces" where nobody has any desk space and everyone wears headphones so they can keep the distractions to a minimum, and all the whiteboards-on-wheels got repurposed as doors to keep strangers from wandering through the space. AFAIK, nobody has ever done an RoI survey on the change, yet we keep doing it.

It brings out the worst in my company as they already suffer from being reactive and never really planning ahead. Agile just emphasises that. I'm waiting for the rest of the busines to be stupid enough to start using it - it's freight so we could have a sprint to send out shipments, then once we realise it went east instead of west, it would be a good thing because we "failed early"

Someone somewhere is making a lot of money selling this snake-oil and all you have to do is wait say another ten or fifteen years and they'll start selling waterfall or some other type of development process. Same with the current fashion of "get rid of the mainframe" that I hear so often. Wait ten or fifteen years and it'll be "we have to get a mainframe ... no wait, buy two of them!"

It's all just marketing

sorry - I've calmed down now

Code is probably the least of the activities going on, as will be support keeping the lights on, that is if you don't class data science, search algorithms, content moderation, analytics for marketing, advert placement, sales, etc etc as code.

I have a mate who works in this space, he's worked at eBay and Facebook and is now at Google. He's been working on refining an advertising formula for one niche area on google as any tiny % improvement can translate to pretty big financial numbers. Would you miss him if he wasn't there? Not today, not this week, probably not this month, maybe this quarter, almost certainly over the year, but some of these jobs take time. But small continual improvements all add up. I don't think his paypal days will have given him any experience in this area, as Twitter isn't really about the ability the technology to send a tweet, its about the fact people do send tweets. and how to make money ouit of them.

Is this guy for real?

MuskTwitter.png

He sold a decent chunk of Tesla stock to pay for a substantial part of it, far more than it was worth in isolation:
On April 20, Musk disclosed that he had secured financing provided by a group of banks led by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, MUFG, Société Générale, Mizuho Bank, and BNP Paribas, for a potential tender offer to acquire the company.[26][27] The funding included $7 billion of senior secured bank loans; $6 billion in subordinated debt; $6.25 billion in bank loans to Musk personally, secured by $62.5 billion of his Tesla stock; $20 billion in cash equity from Musk, to be provided by sales of Tesla stock and other assets; and $7.1 billion in equity from 19 independent investors.[28][29][30]

The point being that Trump said he'd never go back to Twitter & Trump was all in on Truth Social.

Trump owns Truth Social. Switching to Twitter loses Trump money. Elon has nicely skewered him.

Elon's point was to prevent 2 echo chambers - Twitter & Truth Social & to have a single place (Twitter 2.0). An echo chamber means more division & automatic "hate of the other" when USA votes are split around 50-50 between the 2 parties. Most people don't like the extremes, but the extremes control the selection of candidates in many countries (UK to a large degree).

There might be 20-30% in each extreme, 40-60% somewhere in the middle (my guess/recollection of statements made elsewhere). Most people want a country to be well run financially, relatively strong, low crime & to be fair (with different meanings). If moderates could get a hold via a single platform, the extremists MIGHT be crowded out

1669069176976.png

Elon Musk Leads New Twitter Team in the biggest change ever: The removal of video content containing child sexual abuse and exploitation (Interview w/ Eliza Bleu & Johnna Crider)

Welcome to What’s Up Twitter! 🙂
@elizableu @JohnnaCrider1 @elonmusk

My emphasis
Gail: Eliza, thank you for your effective advocacy to stop human trafficking. I just heard that there was a large amount of CSE/CSAM Twitter, accessed by certain Hashtags. Elon and his new Twitter team were able to remove a good amount this rapidly, so I wanted to ask you to give me a little background on what you know about that. How is it that CSE/CSAM videos on Twitter have been allowed to continue for so long? And how was Elon Musk able to remove it so quickly?

Eliza:
Twitter has a history of putting profits over survivors. They did a cost-benefit analysis and the world’s most vulnerable have been ignored. It looks like Elon Musk simply prioritized this issue of detecting and removing child sexual abuse/exploitation material.

There are more articles eg Elon Musk Is Addressing Issue of Child Sexual Exploitation Content on Twitter After Years of Inactivity Under Platform’s Past Management

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro