Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twitter and the Chief Twit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'd agree with that.

I thought it was a bad idea him buying it, both for him and people generally who use it. It was a very poor decision financially, him having paid at least 3x what Twitter was actually worth based on their loss-making history.

I also happen to think as a business propostion it is a poisoned chalice. It is a pretty toxic place to be on for too long, and definitely very left leaning - but I can also see that advertisers aren't going to touch anything that approaches a "maybe the right have a point about XYZ" forum, so I can see why it would be the way it was.

Never in my wildest dreams would I think that Musk would torpedo it the way he has. I could have easily believed that people would be turned off by his involvement with it, but I imagined he would navigate that by taking a more backseat "grand plan" role. As it is he's alienating everyone and all of his monetisation ideas sound like throwing crap against the wall to see what might stick. Truly bizarre.

He's not doing his cultivated image of genius ahead of his time any favours at all with his antics, if anything I'd say it is probably suggesting to people that his previous successes have been fortuitous. Either way - not good for Tesla.
He seems to cycle between being a leader for innovative companies and an utter moron. Last cycle was when he thought he was some kind of International Rescue to save those boys trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand, and ended up calling people paedo's for no particular reason. Once again, he's a liability and embarrassment to his successful businesses as he collapses a social network for no obvious benefit to anyone, least of all his own wealth.

1668014029360.png

In the words of King Charles; dear oh dear.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
Trust, compliance and privacy heads all jumping ship now... difficult to see how you could spin that given these people were present when Twitter was fined for breaking regulations around selling user's data. THAT they stayed for, but now it's untenable for them or the writing is on the wall?... :oops:

Trust, compliance and privacy heads all jumping ship now... difficult to see how you could spin that given these people were present when Twitter was fined for breaking regulations around selling user's data. THAT they stayed for, but now it's untenable for them or the writing is on the wall?... :oops:
They probably told Musk that they had to comply with the orders given by the FTC when Twitter was fined megabucks for unlawfully selling personal data, and he replied with "Oh yeah? Stop getting in the way". Like a pound shop Trump, he can't stand not getting his own way.

A sceptic might say this was potentially deliberate, trying to show that they will now allow rebuttals against misinformation regardless of who the original poster is. Incorrect information, from whatever source, should be allowed to be pointed out. JMHO

Flame suit donned....

So loads of infrastructure people have been laid off and there’s a huge sporting event kicking off this weekend. What’s the worst that could happen?

Qatar - Ecuador is a pretty underwhelming match up, Twitter going down might be the real entertainment on Sunday night.

It does seem strange that someone would spend that much money on something and then totally destroy it

Mind you, how many times have we seen that? We used to go to this restaurant then one time we went and it just wasn't the same. I asked and was told that someone had bought it, probably because it was always busy and was obviously making money. Then the first thing they did was to start changing things: the menu, the suppliers, the staff

It didn't take long for it to close

I've seen that with restaurants too. One of my favourites went that way. I've also worked for places that got a new CEO who immediately started making pointless changes to 'make their mark'. Luckily not company destroying changes..

It's probably harder to buy something like a company and trust the people under you know what they're doing than do the musk thing

Oof.. so the “reinstate Trump?” poll finishes at 52% for, 48% against, so Musk naturally immediately reinstates his account.

What happened to no decisions being made until this “content moderation council” that was going to be set up? Speaking rhetorically of course because it’s obvious there’s no authenticity in any of these statements.

From a purely financial/logical standpoint I have no idea how this is supposed to encourage advertisers to come back, or spend in greater numbers.

If you’re a TSLA stockholder, or even just an car owner like me, this debacle weighs heavily on perceptions of the brand and Musk’s previously unquestioned Midas touch, in my opinion.

Reactions: Casss and Smileysam
It's pretty obvious that bringing Trump back will drive visits to Twitter. Maybe I'm too cynical but it seems extremely obvious.

I don't think Musk is or was ever a genius. He's just a dumb kid that came from money who got lucky a few times. There are probably loads of other "Musks" out there who like him, came from money, bought into some companies that instead failed so we never hear about them. Musk's done a couple things well, get lucky as said before, and use his edgelord personality and outright lies to drive investment memers to prop up his car brand. He was always going to be exposed eventually. I would be very happy for Tesla to see the back of him.

It's pretty obvious that bringing Trump back will drive visits to Twitter. Maybe I'm too cynical but it seems extremely obvious.

I don't think Musk is or was ever a genius. He's just a dumb kid that came from money who got lucky a few times. There are probably loads of other "Musks" out there who like him, came from money, bought into some companies that instead failed so we never hear about them. Musk's done a couple things well, get lucky as said before, and use his edgelord personality and outright lies to drive investment memers to prop up his car brand. He was always going to be exposed eventually. I would be very happy for Tesla to see the back of him.
A quick look at a bio (cynics might suggest seeded by himself) What is Elon Musk IQ - Can be regarded as a Genius | Sociosite implies he is bright. That's not the same as altruistic or fair or even ethical.
I was watching a sarcastic and funny cartoon earlier about a megalomaniac's attempt to rule the world. Best line was "This could be the most globally damaging midlife crisis since Elon Musk"
He has managed to follow the formula of Microsoft and Apple - sell overpriced average kit with a lot of enthusiastic hype, promises and charisma and gain a god-like following irrespective of the actual benefits compared to rival offerings.