Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twitter and the Chief Twit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
local thread for local people
True, but it does go to the heart of the matter.

In a democracy, unpalatable things/people/views/cultures to many aren’t necessarily wrong or invalid, especially if a different ’many’ hold that view. Let Trump hang by his own words, and be defeated by a more compelling argument in the opposite direction, not by censorship. Same for every politician, Left or Right. The rules of democracy, whether we like it or not, mean any 2 idiots can out vote a genius.

In a democracy, unpalatable things/people/views/cultures to many aren’t necessarily wrong or invalid, especially if a different ’many’ hold that view. Let Trump hang by his own words, and be defeated by a more compelling argument in the opposite direction, not by censorship. Same for every politician, Left or Right. The rules of democracy, whether we like it or not, mean any 2 idiots can out vote a genius.
But Trump was using Twitter to incite violence, riots etc. In those extreme cases I think censorship is entirely valid. I'd go further and censor any of the climate-denying idiots. The planet is in such a perilous state now that we simply can't afford to have the fossil fuel lobbyists and far-right halfwits like Farage peddling their - to use a Trump term - fake news.

But Trump was using Twitter to incite violence, riots etc. In those extreme cases I think censorship is entirely valid. I'd go further and censor any of the climate-denying idiots. The planet is in such a perilous state now that we simply can't afford to have the fossil fuel lobbyists and far-right halfwits like Farage peddling their - to use a Trump term - fake news.
Illegal things are already illegal.
Did you notice how you were already going down the slippery slope? Ban Trump! Oh, and climate deniers! Just one small step to also ban COVID sceptics! Oh, and flat earthers while we’re at it!
We need dissenting voices to have a rational discourse (Galileo was a dissenter and would have been banned from Twitter by your standards), and it seems to me that censorship is not a great way of achieving that.

In the spirit of censorship, I suggest this thread is killed with extreme fire before it goes off the deep end
Don't worry, I've been deleting any posts I don't agree with since it started :)

On a serious note, it is drifting away from TMC guidelines. It was left to run as the impact of the twitter purchase could have been/probably is material to Tesla. The inner workings of Twitter, the Trump debate, moderation and what it means etc aren't. (and yes, I put my hand up to adding to that, these things often start in a grey area and drift away from the topic, as interesting as the debate might be).

If we can't swing the discussion back to any material impact on Tesla then it will be time to close the thread.

From now on, off topic, political posts will be moved to the "Off topic - Political thread"

If we can't swing the discussion back to any material impact on Tesla then it will be time to close the thread.

From now on, off topic, political posts will be moved to the "Off topic - Political thread"

To give people closure, but without wanting to give the mods a headache, I'll make one post about pairing and anyone that wants to discuss it further can DM me, and I shalln't discuss it here any further.

No, I'm not joking. Yes, it really does work*, and it really does lead to higher-quality code. The reasons are that programming is a thinking exercise and not a typing one, and two brains are better than one. It's better than code reviews (generally) because the feedback is faster - you can stop someone barking up the wrong tree much more quickly. It's better for team-building, as you all need to demonstrate vulnerability and develop social sensitivity. It reduces your 'bus factor' in that every line of code is seen and understood by two humans before getting into production. It propagates knowledge throughout teams more quickly, as they learn each other's tricks. It aligns a team more quickly, as all the arguments about how to do things is front-loaded. It reduces the amount of time spent skiving, because there's always someone else watching. It makes people more likely to show up to work on time, because you know that someone is waiting for you. It is inefficient when people are writing boilerplate code (in which case, you have bigger problems), when you have an antisocial team, or when there are large disparities in skill level that are not compensated for with emotional intelligence. It's much harder than coding solo, and much more mentally draining. Pairing should not be done 100% of the time on everything, and to do so would be considered an anti-pattern by most. It is not for everyone, and not everyone is suited to pairing.

Anyone flabbergasted by pairing should go look up mobbing, which is even more fun :D And yes, I've used that successfully, had customers pay us to help them mob, and seen it work really well in regulated financial enterprises (JPMC, Index Labs).

*ran a consultancy for six consistently profitable years that used pairing and mobbing almost exclusively, with customers paying up to £1,800/engineer/day for the service. Also surrounded myself with companies that paired and mobbed, and saw them work. By contrast I got customers who solo'd and did Git Flow asking us to help them figure out what their lead-time-to-production was terrible and why morale was so low.

In the basic sense that the lights are on. But it's been widely reported that content moderation is a complete bin fire with a huge uptick in all kinds of hate speech and stuff that's against the ToS.

I can see an Agile approach for say "we need to add this new feature to our existing code", but that's about it really. Whoever added the "Failing early is good" part is a genius tbh. How about "failing is bad, so let's not fail" instead?

Likewise the nonsense about "if it's not done by the end of the sprint, we'll just add it to a later sprint" wtf??? how about "Let's just get this bit done then we can move on" instead?

Where I work they converted to Agile, spent who knows how much in training people, reorganised the cubicles into hellscapes called "Collaborative workspaces" where nobody has any desk space and everyone wears headphones so they can keep the distractions to a minimum, and all the whiteboards-on-wheels got repurposed as doors to keep strangers from wandering through the space. AFAIK, nobody has ever done an RoI survey on the change, yet we keep doing it.

It brings out the worst in my company as they already suffer from being reactive and never really planning ahead. Agile just emphasises that. I'm waiting for the rest of the busines to be stupid enough to start using it - it's freight so we could have a sprint to send out shipments, then once we realise it went east instead of west, it would be a good thing because we "failed early"

Someone somewhere is making a lot of money selling this snake-oil and all you have to do is wait say another ten or fifteen years and they'll start selling waterfall or some other type of development process. Same with the current fashion of "get rid of the mainframe" that I hear so often. Wait ten or fifteen years and it'll be "we have to get a mainframe ... no wait, buy two of them!"

It's all just marketing

sorry - I've calmed down now
Befor I retired I had extensive exposure to Agile Methodologies and remain a total sceptic, in my experience the Quality and Testing was poor leading to lots of Live Issues and negative Customer Feedback. That was on a Banking App where logic would suggest that Quality should be King but it definitely wasn't, I am not a Fan !

Befor I retired I had extensive exposure to Agile Methodologies and remain a total sceptic, in my experience the Quality and Testing was poor leading to lots of Live Issues and negative Customer Feedback. That was on a Banking App where logic would suggest that Quality should be King but it definitely wasn't, I am not a Fan !

Let's be honest, Agile is just marketing designed to make money ... and not for the organisations that deploy it

If it was really a good way of designing and building something, then it would be everywhere. Take the building your IT department works in for instance:

Sprint number 1 is The Door - we have no idea yet where the parking lot is, or how many people will work in the building, or what kind of security we'll be using there, or even if it's staff only or for the general public too, whether there'll be a reception desk behind it, how much we can budget for it etc etc, but we want a door, so we make a "story" about someone walking through a door (it has to open and *maybe* close behind them).

So we build it, are happy with it, but later find out all those things we should have considered before because we built in in the wrong place, it was too small to meet building regs and we have to retrofit a security system. No problem though, we just brick it up and make another sprint ... and that's a GOOD thing because we "failed early"

Nobody would build a building like that and there's really not much difference between building a building and building an application