Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tegra chip that runs the screen in the MS was created over 5 years ago for that car and has not had a chance to be updated, because it would require MAJOR software enhancements.

Yeah, the Tegra 3 came out in 2011. That's an eternity for mobile graphics processors. I don't see how upgrading to a Tegra 4 or 4i by now would be that major a software problem. They're the same series of chips with the same microarchitecture.

That said, it looks like they're moving to Intel now and I'm sure they're not going to want to support two chipsets for long. I think we'll see an Intel based refresh sooner than later. I'm just disappointed the flagship technology marvel is running on a chipset that's pushing 7 years.

I don't think it's too much to ask for Tesla's $80,000-$150,000 vehicle to have a center display that's as responsive and good looking as an $800 iPad. Offer a ~$2,500 upgrade program and they have a home run. With such sparse interiors that rely heavily on the screen interface, being able to refresh the infotainment every year (or two or never) would be a fantastic option.

such as..?

Here are a few features they S and X have, that "the 3 doesn't and possibly won't ever have."

Hatchback
72 Amp charger
Panoramic windscreen (X)
Auto open and close front doors (X)
Falcon wing rear doors (X)
two screens
Bio-defense HEPA air filter
Free supercharging
Heated steering wheel and windshield wipers
High res backup camera

However, the 3 has the advantages listed in earlier posts. I think I am going to like it more than my S.

GSP

Hatchback
72-amp charger
Two screens
Bio-defense HEPA air filter
Free supercharging
Heated steering wheel and windshield wipers
High res backup camera

For the Model S, that's a really weak list for over twice the price. It doesn't even have a range advantage. Come on Tesla, let's see that interior/tech refresh. I mean, at least add the X's auto-open front doors already. You can do it! :)

Reactions: Ulmo
This is a massive problem to me. There’s no way the “flagship” S should be allowed to have an inferior UI. It’s inexcusable for a vehicle twice the price or more. Yes, I understand they’re differently sized vehicles, but they’ve had plenty of time to plan. An S interior refresh to surpass the 3 should’ve been announced already for delivery when the 3 was launched.

I have a day one 3 reservation and my S is coming off lease in April. I can’t imagine getting a new S in 4 months with an inferior screen/cluster.
I'm in a similar position, but about 6 months behind you.
It all depends on when the new S interior comes out. I would definitely go for the 3 when my reservation is due (12 months still) if the S still has the current screen at that time.

Reactions: MarkS22
I don't think it's too much to ask for Tesla's $80,000-$150,000 vehicle to have a center display that's as responsive and good looking as an $800 iPad. Offer a ~$2,500 upgrade program and they have a home run. With such sparse interiors that rely heavily on the screen interface, being able to refresh the infotainment every year (or two or never) would be a fantastic option.
While I'd agree about Model S and X in the future, I'm not sure $2500 would be enough to cover Tesla's costs (R&D, validation, integration work, etc.) for retrofitting existing Model S and X.

iPads benefit from massive economies of scale and being able to spread the R&D costs across MANY units. From downloading the 2017 annual report/10-K at Investor Relations - Financial Information - Apple, in 2017, Apple sold over 43.7 million iPads.

And, iPads don't need to be able to survive and work in the pretty harsh conditions in a car's cabin (e.g. well below freezing and really hot when parked out in the sun).

The # of folks w/existing Model S and X who'd pony up $2500 or whatever to update the infotainment system won't be very large and likely would be only a small fraction of existing vehicles.

Reactions: Scott7
This thread has been helpful as ive been considering getting a S75D but waiting on its rumored “refresh” whatever that may entail vs the 3 LR. Id love to hear from S owners that still prefer the S if out there. I know on the reddit subreddit a few S owners sold thei 3’s and kept their S.

I feel the S owners disappointments. For the last few months I've been secretly configuring an S, an X, looking at inventory and used cars here in Europe. But all the time some voice in my head kept saying "These cars are previous gen for twice the money of a 3. Be patient."

Elon once said that he was stupid to call the 3 a "3" as people would think it's a Tesla car ver. 3, which it isn't. But based on all the reviews and first impressions I really think it is. No wonder they keep underselling it.

Even a "basic" thing like lack of keyless (fobless) entry to the car is something that throws me away from buying an S.

I do agree that an S/X refresh is mandatory sooner rather than later for these cars to make sense.

Reactions: MarkS22
I finally drove my hubby's 3 today.
The only things I'd like to add to the already glowing reviews wrt comparison to my AP1 S are:
1) Overall, the car is an awesome accomplishment for Elon and Tesla
2) I love the large sun visors on the 3.
3) I think the visibility is amazing, esp to the front. I would like a larger rear-view mirror. It seems too short from side to side for me.
4) The turn indicator is strange! There's no hard click to put it on, just two soft ones that don't obviously stick. It's hard to explain. I do not understand it well yet. But I'm sure I will adjust.
5) I find the center screen very easy to use. As said upthread, the clarity is superb. It does seem to get more glare than the one in my S, but I do have a tinted pano roof in the S and maybe that's the difference?
5) Very sporty, fun, nimble, and tight. Love it!
Very proud of Tesla.

Hmmm. Both my wife's Leafs (and our X) have had heated steering wheels. I'm a little surprised/disappointed her new 3 (in a year) won't - even the upgraded version. In the PNW, heated seats and wheel are, IMO, essential. Tesla need to take a second look at the standard features of "lower end" electrics like the Leaf, Bolt, i3 etc and make sure that folks moving up won't miss something they considered important.

While I'd agree about Model S and X in the future, I'm not sure $2500 would be enough to cover Tesla's costs (R&D, validation, integration work, etc.) for retrofitting existing Model S and X.

iPads benefit from massive economies of scale and being able to spread the R&D costs across MANY units. From downloading the 2017 annual report/10-K at Investor Relations - Financial Information - Apple, in 2017, Apple sold over 43.7 million iPads.

And, iPads don't need to be able to survive and work in the pretty harsh conditions in a car's cabin (e.g. well below freezing and really hot when parked out in the sun).

The # of folks w/existing Model S and X who'd pony up $2500 or whatever to update the infotainment system won't be very large and likely would be only a small fraction of existing vehicles.

Let me clarify I mean on future vehicles only. I wouldn’t expect the current system to be upgradable. If the refreshed interior was designed with an upgradable screen/GPU module, that would be amazing. Unlike an iPad, it wouldn’t need the same components in such a small, lightweight space. No battery either. Getting a quality screen that can survive the elements is trivial in these quality quantities.

As to the percentage that would upgrade, I don’t believe it would be a small fraction. Maybe you do it every 24 months. And, don’t forget, the latest goes into every new car. Even if it’s just a bullet point (“This first upgradable screen and graphics processor in a vehicle ever”) could still trigger sales. People like knowing their investments have some futureproofing.

A Model S with upgradable battery pack, Autopilot hardware, and center screen would be the most futureproof vehicle ever made. Two of those three are already possible and easy, if not cost prohibitive for now.

I don't believe M3 has the air filtration system of S and X. I'm not 100% on this though.
I was curious about this so removed the plastic insert pieces from my model 3 frunk and couldn't find a cabin filter there as in my model S. Unless it is accessible instead from the cabin side, the model 3 has none.
20180101_085640-1.jpg