Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model 3 changes - Beginning of June

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Tesla and aftermarket wireless pads like Jeda or Nomad, do both USB plugs need to be plugged in to use or are both plugged in only if you want power to both sides of the pad.

In other words: Can I use the wireless pad to charge just one phone wireless and still use the other USB port for Sentry?

Seems like a simple question and I would expect to be able to use one side of the pad and have a usb plugged in to use Sentry as well, but oddly I couldn't find the answer to this question. It seems like everyone plugs the wireless pad into both ports and uses a aftermarket hub for Sentry.

Also can't really see any good reason to purchase the OEM wireless pad for an extra $25 over the Jeda Anything remarkably different about the OEM piece than Jeda or Nomad?

I'd love to know what the actual voltage specs are for the USB-C ports. I saw someone quote the Model Y specs, but does anyone have a USB-C PD voltage checker?

It's common for the PD ports to only supply 5V and 9V, but it'd be awesome if somehow they made them supply 12V, or even 15V or higher so they can power a Switch, or 20V for Macbooks/USB-C PCs.

My guess is no though.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I noted that the built-in garage door opener for the model S is "location aware", and that the add on one for the Model 3 doesn't have that description. Does that mean that the model S will open the garage door As you approach it, and that the model 3 requires you to press something on the touch screen?

I noted that the built-in garage door opener for the model S is "location aware", and that the add on one for the Model 3 doesn't have that description. Does that mean that the model S will open the garage door As you approach it, and that the model 3 requires you to press something on the touch screen?
Model 3/Y does auto open just like S/X.

It's less useful than it should be because HOMELINK doesn't have separate open and close signals and the car doesn't use autopilot cameras to check if the door is already open. If you pull into the driveway and the garage door is already open it will automatically close it for you.

Model 3/Y does auto open just like S/X.

It's less useful than it should be because HOMELINK doesn't have separate open and close signals and the car doesn't use autopilot cameras to check if the door is already open. If you pull into the driveway and the garage door is already open it will automatically close it for you.
Does it automatically close when you leave the garage?

Does it automatically close when you leave the garage?

It can automatically send the "toggle garage door state" signal- there's no discrete open/close- when you are X feet from the GPS location (you can set X)

That said- it doesn't work great.

Mine fails to read the signal about 99% of the time since the transmitter is in the front bumper and the rear end is what's facing the garage as I pull out.

Even if I manually activate it I have about a 0.3 second window pulling out just as my rear clears the door sensors I can hit it and it'll close- otherwise it doesn't get the signal.

Asked a mobile tech who was out to do the charge pin recall once- he said yeah he sees that fairly often with the transmitter only being at the far front and nothing he can do.

Works 100% on approaching the garage though, auto-sends signal I think 20 feet away so it's open by the time I'm ready to pull in.

I see that the home link kit has to be ordered and then an appointment made to have it installed. Is there any way to have it installed before delivery? If not, can the appointment be made to have the tech come to me? The nearest Tesla facility is more than an hour's drive from my house.

I see that the home link kit has to be ordered and then an appointment made to have it installed. Is there any way to have it installed before delivery?

Nope... because you can always reject delivery/return the car within 7 days which then makes that awkward.

I
If not, can the appointment be made to have the tech come to me? The nearest Tesla facility is more than an hour's drive from my house.

Assuming there's mobile service in your area yes- can easily be done by them.

• Informative
It can automatically send the "toggle garage door state" signal- there's no discrete open/close- when you are X feet from the GPS location (you can set X)

That said- it doesn't work great.

Mine fails to read the signal about 99% of the time since the transmitter is in the front bumper and the rear end is what's facing the garage as I pull out.

Even if I manually activate it I have about a 0.3 second window pulling out just as my rear clears the door sensors I can hit it and it'll close- otherwise it doesn't get the signal.

Asked a mobile tech who was out to do the charge pin recall once- he said yeah he sees that fairly often with the transmitter only being at the far front and nothing he can do.

Works 100% on approaching the garage though, auto-sends signal I think 20 feet away so it's open by the time I'm ready to pull in.
Well, if I keep my ChargePoint unit, that won't be a problem because I would have to back the car into the garage.

How do I find out whether it's available?

Officially all they say is "throughout north america" but that's not super helpful.

Potentially your nearest service center can tell you (if you can get them to answer a phone)- or you can try going to the regional section of the forums here corresponding to your region and asking there and see if anyone near you can tell you (either by experience- or because they have a Tesla already and can therefore try and schedule mobile service with the app)

VIN is 733xxx, taking delivery on June 27, advisor says that USB-C is only in the US and not in Canada but I’ve seen people post here about them getting it in Canada so I guess I will see when I take delivery of it.

Where in Canada are you taking delivery? Sounds like your SA has bad info. I picked up in Vancouver on June 12, and it had wireless/USB-C

Where in Canada are you taking delivery? Sounds like your SA has bad info. I picked up in Vancouver on June 12, and it had wireless/USB-C

Toronto, it’s weird since I spoke with a SA yesterday who said the car was still in the US and hadn’t crossed the border and therefore he didn’t have a VIN. The one I spoke with today said car was already here and gave me the VIN. My delivery isn’t till the 27th though so I guess I’ll see then.

Toronto, it’s weird since I spoke with a SA yesterday who said the car was still in the US and hadn’t crossed the border and therefore he didn’t have a VIN. The one I spoke with today said car was already here and gave me the VIN. My delivery isn’t till the 27th though so I guess I’ll see then.
Canada most definitely has USB-C and wireless charging equipped cars, at least in Vancouver. My SA referred to it directly to me before. In the end, it's a minor difference anyway, but I'm personally hopeful mine has it. Worst case, I just put in a 12V cigarette adapter with USB-C and PD.

Maybe the east coast cars are pulling from an eastern stock somewhere that has yet to exhaust the previous stock?

Reactions: Arctic_White
With the Tesla and aftermarket wireless pads like Jeda or Nomad, do both USB plugs need to be plugged in to use or are both plugged in only if you want power to both sides of the pad.

In other words: Can I use the wireless pad to charge just one phone wireless and still use the other USB port for Sentry?

Seems like a simple question and I would expect to be able to use one side of the pad and have a usb plugged in to use Sentry as well, but oddly I couldn't find the answer to this question. It seems like everyone plugs the wireless pad into both ports and uses a aftermarket hub for Sentry.

Also can't really see any good reason to purchase the OEM wireless pad for an extra $25 over the Jeda Anything remarkably different about the OEM piece than Jeda or Nomad?

I know the Nomad charger works like that. The two USBs plug into a splitter and then take up a single USB port

I can confirm my car came with USB-C. One port inside the console, used by the wireless charging pad (single cable). The port beside it is a USB-A port. The back of the console has two USB-C ports.

I was going to test the current handling and voltage of the ports but I am having troubles with my tester. Will post once I get it working.

Another point.. my USB-C ports on the back of the console (facing the back seats) were misaligned partly. I had to plug in the port sideways and pull it to the side a bit to fix the alignment, but now they're fine. USB-C ports are strong so don't be afraid to do this. There is very little chance of damage.