Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two more Model S's with more hardware spotted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this just now - originally posted on Reddit Saturday night - but I don't think it's been on TMC yet. This is not the same car as the one posted last week with lidar pucks on the side mirrors.

This mysterious Tesla Model S has strange sensors and a giant 'emergency' button

And on the original Reddit comment thread with these photos (posted by "Davidhglover") a user with the SN of "Tacomaboy" who claims to be an 85S owner says he also spotted a car like this in Waco TX a week ago. That second claim is not backed up with pictures however.

To sum up - within 10 days there have now been three claimed sightings in the wild of Model S's with what appear to be additional sensors on the car - two of the claims are backed with photos.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.45.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.45.03 AM.png

This mysterious Tesla Model S has strange sensors and a giant 'emergency' button

And the Redditor at the end of the comment thread who claims to have also seen a similar Model S last week:

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.51.16 AM.png

Reactions: Caligula and Canuck
The big Stop button just doesn't strike me as "Tesla-like". Makes me wonder if it's someone(s) at Tesla's way of having a bit of fun with obsessive Tesla spotters. :)

Pretty sure every sighting with extra sensors over the years has had a big red stop button. Don't remember ever seeing a test car without it. (Seen a few of these cars myself over the years, all with different sensor setups, even before autopilot release, but the Tesla people asked for no pictures)

That's barely newsworthy. When I stopped by Tesla HQ they had cars with all sorts of extra cameras, the big red stop button, wires, etc. and that was out in the public parking lot.

Not everyone gets to stop by Tesla HQ and look at the test cars. And, yes, most of us have seen the big red stop button in test cars before. But there's more going on in each picture posted than just that button. I really like looking at these pictures to see what's being experimented with --- or at least guess at it based on the contraptions. Thanks Calisnow for posting. I sure hope posts like the one I quoted above doesn't stop people from posting these types of pictures here. Your post is just as newsworthy as most post here (more so in my opinion).

The big Stop button just doesn't strike me as "Tesla-like". Makes me wonder if it's someone(s) at Tesla's way of having a bit of fun with obsessive Tesla spotters

I had the same thoughts as you.

The button would look out of place in any car, not just sleek Tesla. Whatever the button functionality, such functionality in a car can be achieved with more adequate gadgets more suited to driving a car.

That said, the prominent out of place funny look that draws attention is fully in the spirit of Tesla engineering/marketing.

I recall seeing a photo of a test car with a similar big red button on the dashboard, plus what looked like sensors all around the wheels. The self-parking option for Autopilot was released months afterwards.

Man, the wheels in the old photos were messed up!

• Funny
Reactions: FingersXd