Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two new features none of us know about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess on yet-to-be Revealed Features

A stick-on rearview mirror would look pretty silly on that large windshield IMHO. Perhaps the rearview camera will be output via HUD (Heads Up Display) and every square inch of that glorious windshield will be clear! Perhaps covering up the top portion of the windscreens on the mules had a dual purpose. There may even be sideview cameras integrated into the side mirrors. How cool would it be if SW stitched all three images together and displayed a single seamless ears-back-view via HUD! Wishful thinking?

My vote goes to the Gentex rear view mirror, since that would mitigate the apparent rear view blockage from the non-adjustable row 2 headrests.

I'm thinking this too, I wonder however if they've gone a step further and incorporated this into the back up camera somehow ? Keep in mind that big beautiful windshield; I wonder if the designers wanted to keep that panorama look and there is no mirror attached to the windshield - it's either at the top of the dash or incorporated into the main screen ? Perhaps even in the instrument clustre ??

I'm thinking this too, I wonder however if they've gone a step further and incorporated this into the back up camera somehow ? Keep in mind that big beautiful windshield; I wonder if the designers wanted to keep that panorama look and there is no mirror attached to the windshield - it's either at the top of the dash or incorporated into the main screen ? Perhaps even in the instrument clustre ??

I'm pretty sure a rearview mirror is a legal requirement. If a display broke, the car would still need a way of viewing towards the rear and a low tech mirror would provide that. The Gentex Hybrid Mirror/Display does both and would still provide rearward visibility if the display in the hybrid mirror broke.

I'm also wondering if they could have Gorilla Glass for the windshield.

I'm not sure about that - it's legal to have solid panel vans with no rear visibility so I can't imagine they require a rear mirror on those, lol. Side mirrors, yes.

Reading the laws more closely, it sounds like you are correct. The driver's side mirror seems to always be required and the passenger side mirror is sometimes required. It's just a requirement overall that one has to have a view to the rear. Maybe the rear view mirror isn't required...but I would prefer it to looking down at the screen.

Reading the laws more closely, it sounds like you are correct. The driver's side mirror seems to always be required and the passenger side mirror is sometimes required. It's just a requirement overall that one has to have a view to the rear. Maybe the rear view mirror isn't required...but I would prefer it to looking down at the screen.

let's compromise and say that the image will be HUD :cool:

It would be odd to look in the rear view mirror and not see your passengers in the back seats.

I don't have kids, but I imagine that parents would want a secondary view of the passengers without having to turn around or swing out the visor and use the vanity mirror.

It would be odd to look in the rear view mirror and not see your passengers in the back seats.

I don't have kids, but I imagine that parents would want a secondary view of the passengers without having to turn around or swing out the visor and use the vanity mirror.

most minvans have that taken care of with a smaller concave mirror in the ceiling where the sunglasses holder is. you can see the entire second row seat and the tops of the third row with it. Works well for short kids that aren't in the normal field of view for the rear view mirror since it's centered on the back window, not the second row seats.

Yeah, whenever I drive my wife's vehicle. the first thing I notice is that the rear view mirror is actually looking down toward the mirror she has mounted above our youngest's car seat.

If you watch the Gentex video that I linked to earlier, they showed that you can tilt it to mirror mode. True that's not as fast as just glancing at the mirror but it is possible.

Last edited:
Someone educate me here. Why do people care so much about LED headlights? Yes, they are better than other existing technologies, but I don't see how this is going to delight customers. Not even worthy of camouflage in my opinion. Moves the needle very little for me, and i'm guessing, most consumers would feel the same also.

LED headlights are a FIRST ORDER issue for me. I'm a lighting nerd and I would be extremely disappointed not to see LED lights on a clean sheet design of 2015. LED or bust!

I'm another TMC member for a HUD. This car gets more and more like a 787 all the time! ...or is it a Falcon 9? How about a cockpit like screen with many readouts on it at once. Attitude, heading, angle of bank, altimeter, airspeed, compass, clock, current radio frequency, drag coefficient readings, weather radar, etc. ...... a bank of colorful idiot lights. All glass in appearance, of course! ....ooops, we have some of this already!!!

Cool, but wow, that's a little large. Do you find it cumbersome or a non-issue? Will be very interesting if we even get a fob. Who needs those when you can just walk up to your car with your smartphone and viola. Near the rear lift gate or falcon door and a little foot waving action, and open sesame. One can dream. :)
You're right - better to just have the app on your phone which can do these things. Likely the key would need to connect to your phone anyways to retrieve data unless it had a cell card in it LOL.

The foot wave hatch open feature would be amazing.

Yes but why limit to 200W? I think the utility and marketing value of being able to use your Model X to run your refrigerator in a power outage or at a campsite etc is worth this upgrade. After all, it's kind of like a power wall with wheels!
I don't think a refrigerator is the best example. Modern refrigerators use surprisingly little power. Mine uses like 50 watts...but I know where you are going. I would definitely like to be able to use the battery to power home devices in emergencies. I don't think they will allow that any time soon since supercharging is free.