Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some users will unfortunately want to just “turn the key and drive” and would never trawl through the settings or rear the manual. Until Tesla make it compulsory or at least make it more obvious then there’ll always be folk that use the car in standard setup.

I guarantee there’ll be folk that are not even aware you can pair your phone as a key

Also if your MCU1 is about to die :) (that's 2020.36.11 with AP3 by the way)

Attachments

• 20201208_103944_DRO.jpg
    20201208_103944_DRO.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: HenryT
I can't believe that there are Tesla owners that have not enabled pin to drive. :rolleyes:

I have PIN to Drive enabled, but there have been times I have seriously considered disabling it. It is only a tiny inconvenience, but it gets irritating enough at times that I can completely understand people who don't use it, even when they know about it.

One of the biggest annoyances is how quickly it kicks in. You can pull over, jump out to check something/post a letter/open the door for a relative. 30s or less out of the seat, with the key/phone still in place and car still unlocked, but it still asks you for the PIN again.

Now of course, this is a security feature in itself as it prevents the car being driven away by an opportunist while you are posting your letter. It does still grate slightly at times, though, and many people I know would disable it just because of that.

I have PIN to Drive enabled, but there have been times I have seriously considered disabling it. It is only a tiny inconvenience, but it gets irritating enough at times that I can completely understand people who don't use it, even when they know about it.

Whilst a slight delay at the beginning of the journey, I'm always relieved Pin to Drive is activated when I accidentally leave my phone in the car... which has happened to me many times! :oops:

Reactions: Gatsojon
As i don't have my car yet, can someone enlighten me on the advantage/reason for enabling PIN to Drive?

I can only remember leaving my phone in the car twice in the last ten years and one of those was when the car was locked in the garage at home anyway, so right now it's looking more like an inconvenience, but I expect I'm missing something obvious.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cnixon
As i don't have my car yet, can someone enlighten me on the advantage/reason for enabling PIN to Drive?

I can only remember leaving my phone in the car twice in the last ten years and one of those was when the car was locked in the garage at home anyway, so right now it's looking more like an inconvenience, but I expect I'm missing something obvious.

The big one for me is If your house gets broken into and they get hold of your keycard/phone they will be able to drive your car away, with PIN to drive enabled all they will be able to do is open the car and nick whatever you have left in the car, but wont be able to drive off with your car (unless they guess your pin).

Last edited:

It basically means that they cannot drive off with your car even if they get hold of the keys. With your phone being your key for many Model 3 drivers, and many relying on walk away locking, if you leave your phone in the car on the charging pad there's nothing to stop someone driving off without PIN to drive enabled.

It is basically just a second line of defence: If it is enabled, a thief many be able to gain entry to your car if they gain access to your key or phone somehow (left in car/pick pocketed/house break in etc). However, they will not be able to drive the car away without also knowing the PIN.

Saw some videos of the SMS updates on YouTube last night. The implementation looks really nice, you can view your contacts, tab to the messages and see your message history with the contact.

It's a shame there's no support for Whatsapp. I know that's not well used in the States. Unfortunately, looking through my SMS history it's mostly authentication codes, HMRC reminders and currently special offers on xmas trees.

• Funny
Reactions: phil4
It's a shame there's no support for Whatsapp. I know that's not well used in the States. Unfortunately, looking through my SMS history it's mostly authentication codes, HMRC reminders and currently special offers on xmas trees.
+1 same here.

Neither I or my family/work/contacts ever use SMS. Without Whatsapp integration this feature for me is currently useless

not had any Xmas tree offers tho'!

Reactions: Medved_77
It's a shame there's no support for Whatsapp

I'm with you on this. I rarely use any other messaging. Even my parents use Whatsapp to communicate with me. The only SMSs I get are from banks and the like, so the text integration in my Tesla are pretty much useless for me.

That said, I rarely even use the phone handsfree system except to see who I'm going to have to call back and then reject the call: I'm in the car driving, not communicating.

Reactions: Medved_77

I think it's more down to WhatsApp.

WhatsApp have been clamping down on third party access and don't yet have an app that lets you use the service from multiple places like Telegram or Viber do; they really are a bit slow on the service improvement front.

Allowing synchronisation of messages to a car system is probably a long way down their list of things to do.