Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the internal rear view mirror dip, iirc it should?- driving more in the dark recently, cars in the rear view mirror look pretty clear to me. I'm not convinced that ours dips, but difficult to tell when driving.
My rear view mirror dips - it was one of the first things I checked when I picked up my March 2020 M3. My old Golf was supposed to have an auto-dipping rear view mirror, but it was rubbish. I had the VW dealer look at it and I was told it was' in spec'... This was quite good in preparing me for the Tesla purchase experience ;)

Reactions: amnlinc
Does the internal rear view mirror dip, iirc it should?- driving more in the dark recently, cars in the rear view mirror look pretty clear to me. I'm not convinced that ours dips, but difficult to tell when driving.
It should do, on all cars. It ought to be really obvious too, especially at night.

It's faintly possible that it hasn't been activated, for some reason, or is faulty. I recall someone on here saying they had a rear windscreen replaced and had to get Tesla to re-code the rear demister back on, even though no one would ever have assumed it was an option.

In theory it was one of those things that had been removed from the spec when I bought mine.
the interior mirror does dim lights slightly blue. The wing mirrors remain quite bright white.
it may be they were fitted but deactivated.
it’s just surprising that I have the on the on screen auto dim toggle
when Norwich SC is up and running, I’ll get them to sort my pillar cameras and have a look at the mirrors

Reactions: Durzel
It's quite easy to see if you have dimming mirrors (on any car I think) because it will have a visible border around the mirror glass. Also when in use only the bit inside the border dims. The rear view mirror has no such border, as far as I know.

There was a funky period between circa Febrary 2020 and September 2020 where cars came without dimming wingmirrors. I've got one of those cars, and also have the onscreen option in a recent software release that ostensibly allows you to alter the dimming (which of course does nothing).

It's quite easy to see if you have dimming mirrors (on any car I think) because it will have a visible border around the mirror glass. Also when in use only the bit inside the border dims. The rear view mirror has no such border, as far as I know.

There was a funky period between circa Febrary 2020 and September 2020 where cars came without dimming wingmirrors. I've got one of those cars, and also have the onscreen option in a recent software release that ostensibly allows you to alter the dimming (which of course does nothing).
Aah. So you’ve got the button that does nothing too! It’s not just me.

Aah. So you’ve got the button that does nothing too! It’s not just me.
Nope, not just you.

I was quietly hoping it would somehow work as I saw the "Mirror Auto-dim" option appear in the release notes, and usually you don't see release notes that don't apply to your car (e.g. charge port heating, range increases, etc), but I also knew deep down that I probably didn't have the hardware as I knew there was a visible border on Model 3 wingmirrors that had dimming.

Reactions: Dilly
My old Audi had a physical button on the rear view mirror that did some kind of polarising trick and turned the reflection ever so slightly green. Worked well though to stop any glare.
My previous rather basic BMW had an auto dimming rear view mirror, but not wing mirrors. It was useless.

Before that cars had the toggle thing that changed the angles down so somehow the reflection was less bright.

New here so apologies of this has come up before but is it completely random as to when a specific update is pushed to your car? My M3 LR 2021 has 2021.38.5.5 currently - so does this mean I have to wait for 2021.38.5.8 before getting 2021.38.8?

Yes, random ... sometimes early sometimes late. No much difference even using the advanced setting. You may also jump intermediate releases.

Reactions: diddy84
New here so apologies of this has come up before but is it completely random as to when a specific update is pushed to your car? My M3 LR 2021 has 2021.38.5.5 currently - so does this mean I have to wait for 2021.38.5.8 before getting 2021.38.8?
2021.36.5.8 looks to be the current general release version. All the higher versions look to be 'test' versions with a more limited release:

2021.36.8 - Sentry mode live camera access via app - USA only
2021.36.8.5 - FSD Beta 10.4 - USA only
2021.36.8.6 - FSD Beta 10.4 Model S specific - USA only
2021.40 - TIDAL, British English, TACC chime (some UK cars received this, inc @M3noob !)
2021.40.5 - navigation waypoints (went to at least one UK car)

Hopefully there will be a new general release soon that brings Sentry mode live camera access, TIDAL, British English and navigation waypoints to the rest of us.

Reactions: Achybolo
2021.36.5.8 looks to be the current general release version. All the higher versions look to be 'test' versions with a more limited release:

2021.36.8 - Sentry mode live camera access via app - USA only
2021.36.8.5 - FSD Beta 10.4 - USA only
2021.36.8.6 - FSD Beta 10.4 Model S specific - USA only
2021.40 - TIDAL, British English, TACC chime (some UK cars received this, inc @M3noob !)
2021.40.5 - navigation waypoints (went to at least one UK car)

Hopefully there will be a new general release soon that brings Sentry mode live camera access, TIDAL, British English and navigation waypoints to the rest of us.
Wait 2021.36.8 is USA only? Although 2021.40 introducing British English would be a very welcome introduction for me. I hate words like windshield, trunk… etc.

Had my first proper drive on 36.5.8.
60 mile round trip on NoA. A47 all the way. Quickest easiest route.
As sometimes happens, satnav wanted to go round the houses
once on the A47 it wanted me to turn off to go via a shorter slower route. NoA kept flip-flopping on and off and I stayed on the A47. The satnav didn’t!

It was actually directing me along the slower route at 30 mph which I wasn’t even on and indicating to take a left which didn’t exist whilst screaming at me to take control and drop my speed from 60 to 30. It didn’t drop my speed even though I was on AP & NOA. Cancelled satnav.

A complete dogs breakfast. Never had anything like it. I couldn’t tell where it thought the car was :mad:

Got in my car the other evening and the map/navigation was all over the place. I had the arrow (my car) going backwards and I was apparently going though houses and streets in the opposite direction to that which I was actually going.

It really cheered up my son, who thought it was hilarious - I was just glad the car wasn't driving!

I've noticed nav particularly poor recently. Not in car not knowing its arse from its elbow, but in its routing.

I think it started with the map update, with it wanting to navigate along slow back routes and not sticking with main routes that didn't have any congestion.

It then seemed to improve but that ay have coincided with summer months and no college run taxi service being run.

Back on the regular run again and a few other trips and is a right mix of experience.
A few weeks ago it wanted to direct me via back routes. I ignored it, then got stuck in traffic and ended up reverting to the sat nav suggestion only after reviewing traffic info to actually see the car was right.
Car 1 - 0 Human

last week, a regular college run. It wanted to redirect via back routes. I had learned my lesson from previous drive so we checked the traffic and did (mostly) as the car directed. Good call by the car.
Car 2 - 0 Human

This morning. regular college run. Car wanted to take us off same back route (at this point I shall say that back route is a right pita and not a route hat you would take out of preference), checked traffic map, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, ignored directions and kept with usual route. Sailed through.
Car 2 - 1 Human

Lots of times when car had offered a different route but it didn't feel the right thing to do based upon getting a feel of things when you do same trip regularly. Ignored cars instructions, noticed that ETA didn't change or changed by a minute that soon reverted back to same/less ETA.

So it seems that routing now appears to be prioritising absolute time at expense of maintaining a preference for better quality roads. It never use to be like that. It use to take a pretty worthwhile time saving to make you go cross country and save a few miles on poor roads than keeping you on decent fast roads for slightly longer distance and maybe a few second longer journey time.

Its beginning to feel like they have tweaked the bias of journey time vs journey quality. Roll on alternate routes and just let me choose. Human knows best, most of the time.

But for now, if the car suggests an alternative route, I'm unsure if there is a genuine issue to be avoided, or its wants to save a few seconds without caring that its put you on crap roads.

I've noticed nav particularly poor recently. Not in car not knowing its arse from its elbow, but in its routing.

I think it started with the map update, with it wanting to navigate along slow back routes and not sticking with main routes that didn't have any congestion.

It then seemed to improve but that ay have coincided with summer months and no college run taxi service being run.

Back on the regular run again and a few other trips and is a right mix of experience.
A few weeks ago it wanted to direct me via back routes. I ignored it, then got stuck in traffic and ended up reverting to the sat nav suggestion only after reviewing traffic info to actually see the car was right.
Car 1 - 0 Human

last week, a regular college run. It wanted to redirect via back routes. I had learned my lesson from previous drive so we checked the traffic and did (mostly) as the car directed. Good call by the car.
Car 2 - 0 Human

This morning. regular college run. Car wanted to take us off same back route (at this point I shall say that back route is a right pita and not a route hat you would take out of preference), checked traffic map, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, ignored directions and kept with usual route. Sailed through.
Car 2 - 1 Human

Lots of times when car had offered a different route but it didn't feel the right thing to do based upon getting a feel of things when you do same trip regularly. Ignored cars instructions, noticed that ETA didn't change or changed by a minute that soon reverted back to same/less ETA.

So it seems that routing now appears to be prioritising absolute time at expense of maintaining a preference for better quality roads. It never use to be like that. It use to take a pretty worthwhile time saving to make you go cross country and save a few miles on poor roads than keeping you on decent fast roads for slightly longer distance and maybe a few second longer journey time.

Its beginning to feel like they have tweaked the bias of journey time vs journey quality. Roll on alternate routes and just let me choose. Human knows best, most of the time.

But for now, if the car suggests an alternative route, I'm unsure if there is a genuine issue to be avoided, or its wants to save a few seconds without caring that its put you on crap roads.
At least your satnav and car were in the same place… my satnav went one way and the car went the other blindly obeying the speed limits for the road it wasn’t on… :eek:

Just had a weekend away at Center Parcs. Around 90 miles each way. NoA on dual carriageways was reasonably good. A slight unexpected slow down on the way down whilst in lane 3. Not harsh, but there was no obvious reason for it. No phantom braking on the way back. However, cars and lorries did jump around in the lanes when I was changing lanes, so I had to manage that and not return to lane 2 if there was a lorry in lane 1. TBH, I’m not seeing much difference in AP/NoA compared to how it was when I got the car in March. Has it actually changed?