Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pretty happy the Americans are acting as our test pilots

the scoring thing is a POS.

I don't think they are all that happy!

I thought likewise at first, but when you see the variations in performance state to state, you can't help but wonder if we (UK FSD owners) are even in the long term plan.

It seems all / most of the scenarios that cause grief for FSD Beta are common features of driving around UK roads.

I really am starting to wonder if I should sell the car while it still has some warranty and used prices are OK. I can probably get out without any loss at the moment.

I suspect that once US / LHD is looking usable (if that is possible!) then they will look at sorting Europe LHD countries before UK / RHD gets any attention.

And regardless of the reasons, the same old bugs / errors persist.

Last edited:
I don't think they are all that happy!

I thought likewise at first, but when you see the variations in performance state to state, you can't help but wonder if we (UK FSD owners) are even in the long term plan.

It seems all / most of the scenarios that cause grief for FSD Beta are common features of driving around UK roads.

I really am starting to wonder if I should sell the car while it still has some warranty and used prices are OK. I can probably get out without any loss at the moment.

I suspect that once US / LHD is looking usable (if that is possible!) then they will look at sorting Europe LHD countries before UK / RHD gets any attention.

And regardless of the reasons, the same old bugs / errors persist.
I'm sure the UK is in the long term plan for FSD otherwise it's straightforward fraud to have taken our money. When I bought my car in March 2020 Elon was promising that FSD was almost ready. Hmmmmm. In my particular circumstances I felt that I own my cars for over a decade and therefore having FSD would allow me to participate in the Robotaxi fleet at some point in the future and the price of FSD would keep going up.

However, as things currently stand I have to agree with Elon on the earnings call before last (his last one unless something major happens) where he said there was little value in FSD currently and hence he understood the low take up rate.

For balance, it does look like regular improvements are being made to FSD Beta every month, but these don't seem to be step changes and it appears phantom braking is back even with vision only systems.

My current feelings about FSD in the UK are that it is still a couple of years away from being useful here. By which time my car will be at least 4 years old, whereas most normal people own a car for 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: Dilly and M3noob
I'm sure the UK is in the long term plan for FSD otherwise it's straightforward fraud to have taken our money. When I bought my car in March 2020 Elon was promising that FSD was almost ready. Hmmmmm. In my particular circumstances I felt that I own my cars for over a decade and therefore having FSD would allow me to participate in the Robotaxi fleet at some point in the future and the price of FSD would keep going up.

However, as things currently stand I have to agree with Elon on the earnings call before last (his last one unless something major happens) where he said there was little value in FSD currently and hence he understood the low take up rate.

For balance, it does look like regular improvements are being made to FSD Beta every month, but these don't seem to be step changes and it appears phantom braking is back even with vision only systems.

My current feelings about FSD in the UK are that it is still a couple of years away from being useful here. By which time my car will be at least 4 years old, whereas most normal people own a car for 3 or 4 years.

The reduction of phantom braking incidents that I have experienced when driving on the Continent makes me think that the UK's problems, at least, are a product of US based coders not quite getting RHD dynamics. RHD is also required for Australia and Japan; we're not exactly a unique market for software that looks the other way.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
What I can't understand is why those who paid for FSD haven't just taken their finance companies or Tesla to the small claims court for the money back. Would seem a completely open and shut case to me. Tesla cough up the money you paid and just remove the FSD software from the car.

Reactions: MovingSouth
TBH for many the price of the FSD part of FSD is less than a couple of grand or less. The cost of EAP is the major cost (or half the cost if purchased now) which whilst needs improving does pretty much what it says on the tin.

Would I take a refund on full cost that I paid for FSD? Tough call as repurchasing again in the future would cost much more than that refunded now. Might I just repurchase EAP? Again tough call. Would I be happy if Tesla allowed FSD to to transferred to another vehicle? Yes, sounds like a fair compromise even if I didn't benefit directly if I never buy another Tesla.

TBH for many the price of the FSD part of FSD is less than a couple of grand or less. The cost of EAP is the major cost (or half the cost if purchased now) which whilst needs improving does pretty much what it says on the tin.

Would I take a refund on full cost that I paid for FSD? Tough call as repurchasing again in the future would cost much more than that refunded now. Might I just repurchase EAP? Again tough call. Would I be happy if Tesla allowed FSD to to transferred to another vehicle? Yes, sounds like a fair compromise even if I didn't benefit directly if I never buy another Tesla.
I’d agree with that. The unfulfilled promise of “coming soon” is a plausible leverage for such a request. One wonders what Trading Standards might make of FSD in the U.K.

Reactions: Battpower
I'm usually an early adopter when it comes to "tech" but I held off with FSD on my 2019 car. Having worked in instrumentation and automation in an earlier life I just couldn't see it working properly in the UK - too many variables and insufficient sensing capability were my main concerns. Just over 2 years later things don't seem to have improved and it still makes me wonder how FSD can ever be successful when "simple" stuff like auto-wipe and main beam dipping is so average (a bit cr@p if we're honest). I can see why those who paid out are getting restless; I would be too.

I do hope it gets resolved to an acceptable level albeit I still have my doubts. Meanwhile I'm still enjoying just driving the car and rarely even bother with AP or TACC. That's a lot of hardware doing nowt but currently it's still too skittish to risk IMHO. I may give it another go when the reports of phantom braking go away, but for now I'm more comfortable with it disabled.

I bought FSD after purchasing the car.
My thinking was that for the money I can get 4 years of use out of what it does now (lane changing, summon, slightly more useful on motorways) plus whatever improvements come in those 4 years, as opposed to waiting for the improvements, paying more for it, and getting perhaps only 1-2 years of use.
I'm now well over 2 years into ownership and am thinking that there's unlikely to be a step-change in capability in the next 18 months or so, so am expecting that the reality is that I've paid for 4 years of what it does now, which to be totally honest I don't have confidence to use with passengers in case it scares the poo out of them, and journeys on my own are more likely to be on windy A roads, which is isn't good at either.
In summary, I've probably wasted that money really, but I did know that risk when I bought it, so I can't blame anyone but myself 🤷🏼‍♂️

I would feel very much more satisfied if the purchase could transfer to my next Tesla (assuming my next car is a Tesla of course...)

I think this is getting off topic, but Isn’t the barrier to FSD in the U.K.mostly regulatory at this stage?

We’ll never get FSD beta or otherwise until it’s approved for use here.

Not likely for at least a few more years. We haven’t even got legal use of Auto Lane Keep Assist.

Reactions: TestPilot
I think this is getting off topic, but Isn’t the barrier to FSD in the U.K.mostly regulatory at this stage?

We’ll never get FSD beta or otherwise until it’s approved for use here.

Not likely for at least a few more years. We haven’t even got legal use of Auto Lane Keep Assist.
Based on progress in the States and variations between locations, I would say that any UK regulatory issues are a godsend for Tesla and masking progress (or otherwise) on addressing underlying deficiencies.

My M3 received 2021.36.5.8 in tonight's push (TeslaFi showing 1197 updated to this version so far today). The car render is different in this version - much better anti-aliasing with fewer jaggies, but the tyres now have a 'grey wall' 😕

2021-36-5-8.jpg