Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that any safety related updates are pushed to the car without your choice to update or not.

And if they do this you get all the other updated "features" as well, the ones you may have, perhaps, been trying to avoid. I had a long conversation with the SC about just this a month or so ago, and had chapter and verse from them, over the space of two calls and a check back by them to California and the software team, as to what they would and would not accept. I was specifically warned to not to try and block updates (in my case I can pretty much do that by just stopping the car from connecting to WiFi - no mobile signal here), because of the safety implications.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
It would make more sense to push out feature updates every few months (maybe quarterly), allow people to be early adopters (by a couple of weeks) if they wish to essentially beta test and otherwise only send out bug fixes. Updates always give a feeling of "ooh, what's changed?" but most of the time the features that are added are ones we could probably live without for a bit longer, or are just undisclosed bug-fixes.

Also, I'd be happier if they actually listed the specific bugs that were fixed.

Reactions: Kenners
First time using the car since the 2021.4.6 update dropped and now I can't access music on USB.

It's a bit odd. I have the 2021 refresh M3 that comes with a Dashcam USB stick in the glove box. USB only shows up as a music source if I plug in my USB stick with music on it, but the only files and folders that appear are TeslaCam and all the mp4 files on the Dashcam stick.

I've tried the full reboot option and that's not resolved it, is anyone else having the same problem and have you found a solution?

Legally that is not the case. There is nothing in the terms of your original purchase agreement which would invalidate any portion of the warranty if you decided not to press the update button.

It is in the warranty document:
No Update Voided Warranty.png

First time using the car since the 2021.4.6 update dropped and now I can't access music on USB.

It's a bit odd. I have the 2021 refresh M3 that comes with a Dashcam USB stick in the glove box. USB only shows up as a music source if I plug in my USB stick with music on it, but the only files and folders that appear are TeslaCam and all the mp4 files on the Dashcam stick.

I've tried the full reboot option and that's not resolved it, is anyone else having the same problem and have you found a solution?
I had this I just kept moving the usbs around and it finally worked. Not sure what or how it fixed it but it did.

Reactions: SpareHeadOne
And if they do this you get all the other updated "features" as well, the ones you may have, perhaps, been trying to avoid. I had a long conversation with the SC about just this a month or so ago, and had chapter and verse from them, over the space of two calls and a check back by them to California and the software team, as to what they would and would not accept. I was specifically warned to not to try and block updates (in my case I can pretty much do that by just stopping the car from connecting to WiFi - no mobile signal here), because of the safety implications.

Well, you can take their word for it, or you can read the actual Warranty terms and conditions in your account.

The frequent general software updates are mostly irrelevant. Safety updates which are pushed are quite rare.

Thanks for pointing this out. It’s not in the original warranty, so that is a revision added at some stage.

Thanks for pointing this out. It’s not in the original warranty, so that is a revision added at some stage.

Maybe they had a significant percentage of owners who didn't install updates and then made expensive claims for something failing that could have been prevented by an update that wasn't installed - or even just taking up a lot of service time with problems that have been fixed in an update; sooner or later you would want to be able to tell those customers to take a hike or at least pay.

I sort of see this as similar to an ICE owner who damages their engine by not changing the oil when they should - which is why you have similar clauses about getting the vehicle serviced.

Teslas have a problem in that they don't have separate software/systems for things like entertainment and vehicle management in the way that more conventional cars do, so - as an owner - you can't even consider installing a fix for a traction control issue without the accompanying system-wide changes.

Reactions: pow216
Tesla made it clear to me during a couple of lengthy calls that there was no way of only applying parts of an update, for example accepting safety critical changes but not accepting changes like the 30% decrease in the speed display size. They did take the time to discuss this with the software team back at Tesla HQ and call me back about it. If an update gets pushed to your car (and they did this to my car a few weeks ago) then you don't even have the choice as to whether to accept it or not, it automatically installs as soon as it downloads. In my case this happened overnight.

FWIW, they also said that there was no way to roll back a software update to the previous version, even if the car was taken in to a service centre. The OTA system doesn't have the capability to roll back the main software updates (although it's obvious that they can roll back navigation data updates - we've all seen this happen). In theory they can install all the code in the car from scratch, but the SC staff I spoke with said they didn't have the capability to do that yet.

You mean you couldn’t save the seat position in the profile before the update? Is there anything on these cars that works?

This happens, things that were working change or stop working when an update breaks something. It gets fixed, but can take a few weeks, and there's never any acknowledgement that the car has been broken as a direct result of dodgy software. Tesla owners are really beta testers for the software at the moment, it seems to be a little way away from being reasonably mature.

You mean you couldn’t save the seat position in the profile before the update? Is there anything on these cars that works?

I'm really not sure if a Tesla is right for you if this is the sort of reaction you have to a minor bug that was introduced a week or 2 ago (that only a subset of users downloaded and installed) and has subsequently been fixed.

Personally, whilst these little bugs are a tad annoying, I'd much rather have all of the frequent updates and features that are provided and risk these occasional issues than not get any updates at all for 4 years from wehen I pick up the car....

I'm really not sure if a Tesla is right for you if this is the sort of reaction you have to a minor bug that was introduced a week or 2 ago (that only a subset of users downloaded and installed) and has subsequently been fixed.

Personally, whilst these little bugs are a tad annoying, I'd much rather have all of the frequent updates and features that are provided and risk these occasional issues than not get any updates at all for 4 years from wehen I pick up the car....
I am not sure that is fair. Bugs are not a new thing but they seem to becoming more common and the sloppiness in the quality of the updates they roll out seems to be getting worse. I have been getting a crash for instance that just leaves sensor marks around car, all visualisations aside from that just stop working. So much for the main feature of the new UI!

If you look at a firm like Apple, when they revise the OS they give a keynote talking about the upcoming features and logic behind them. The Xmas update which dumped the new UI on every user along with a ton of bugs, which they are still working out, just got a not very detailed release note and no communication as to what the changes were trying to achieve. A video showing animated windows going up and down does not cut it.

It is quite an arrogant approach if you ask me, not every customer signs on to be an early adopter beta tester. Some just want a car that does not spew out filth.

The way communication is left to a load of speculating bloggers rather than a detailed outline from the company might be seen as the way Tesla operate but if they want to have a long-term relationship with their customers they need to communicate the more boring parts of their vision. And squashing bugs is part of that. As is clearing up misinformation like battery types, heated steering wheels etc.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry this is new terrority for me and I fully expect things like this to be the case. I maybe overreacted earlier. I have calmed down and looking forward to the car. :)