Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a bad deal.

Their day rate goes up to 25p (mines currently 21) and their night time tariff is 5p.

Yeh so I charge the car up cheap but everything else I have becomes more expensive by 5p and I run a lot more in the day than at night.

Looks good on the outside, yes you can say your car charged cheap but you get stitched up in the day.

There’s no good deals to be had with energy now, where I live in london anyway.
I can probably calculate this - but can’t be bothered. How many miles can you get max on the 5p rate?

Please as punched after taking delivery on Friday and nearly 400miles. No photos until I give it a clean, it’s more like MSM than white after a 3 hour journey along the M4!

The car is a company car through Lex, it showed up in the app within a few hours but there is nothing about on my account dashboard in the website. Is this normal? My wife is a bit miffed that she has to use the keycard rather than her phone. At least she can’t turn the heated seats on for a giggle!

Reactions: WKZ12
I can probably calculate this - but can’t be bothered. How many miles can you get max on the 5p rate?

Depends what car you have.

Lets say the LR has 0% and you want it to get to 100% - 75 KW batt - £3.75 - But I dont think it goes up to 75KW, think some are reserved. Something in and around that.

£15.75 if you were to use my day rate.

Odds are you aint charging 0-100% and so realistically maybe topping up 20% throughout the night perhaps - thats 15KW £3.15 vs 75p.

but 25p on the rest of the house in the day is crazy money.

Don't forget you will only be able to do what your charger allows (normally 7kw) * off-peak hours, so my Bulb (lol) tariff it's 4 hours of off-peak a night so 4*7kw is only 28kWh, so only 38% charge on a LR or 46% on an SR+.

Even with that, when I did the maths and it's still way cheaper to have an off-peak EV tariff even at 24p day rate because for most people the car charge completely dwarfs your usual day electricity consumption. Think I calculated I only have to drive at least 10 miles a day average to work out cheaper.

Depends what car you have.

Lets say the LR has 0% and you want it to get to 100% - 75 KW batt - £3.75 - But I dont think it goes up to 75KW, think some are reserved. Something in and around that.

£15.75 if you were to use my day rate.

Odds are you aint charging 0-100% and so realistically maybe topping up 20% throughout the night perhaps - thats 15KW £3.15 vs 75p.

but 25p on the rest of the house in the day is crazy money.

At the end of the day, moving over to O-go depends on your situation.

For me, I do 20 miles per day (school runs or in-law runs) and so I only need the 3 pin charger as once I've done those runs the car is in the garage and I work from home. 10 miles are done in the morning, 10 miles are done in the evening - all of which takes a few hours (Sauf London). I do more miles on the weekend and perhaps have long trips every 3 months.

So the car is sitting there for 22 hours in the garage. with a charging rate of 2-3KW on a 3 pin, this is more than enough to sustain 80% charge every day and when I need a big trip, odds are I'll still have plenty of time within the working week to get me to 90-100% for those journeys and I only need to worry about a super charger for the return or for extra long trips.

Doesnt make sense for me to move to a bigger home charger or to move to a specific tarriff (at todays rates). Esepcially if the bulk of the house moves to 25p as I have so many things like a hot tub etc that are constantly on, it would remove the advantage of the 5p overnight tarriff.

Don't forget you be able to do more than your charger allows (normally 7kw * off-peak hours), so my Bulb (lol) tariff it's 4 hours of off-peak a night so 4*7kw is only 28kWh, so only 38% charge on a LR or 46% on an SR+.

Even with that, when I did the maths and it's still way cheaper to have an off-peak EV tariff even at 24p day rate because for most people the car charge completely dwarfs your usual day electricity consumption. Think I calculated I only have to drive at least 10 miles a day average to work out cheaper.
Yes I agree, but I only have a 3pin charger so cant rinse the night time tarriff like you - I also dont need that level of power for the car on my shorter trips so it does depend on your personal situation.

Remember having your car charging away on the 3 pin, is like leaving the kettle boiling, all. day. long! at the higher rate.

With a 7kw chargepoint, you can get all that charge in a 4hour cheap rate window.

Like you say, everyne is different and has different requirements.

ANYWAY, all a bit off topic really. Sorry Mods....

It’s a bad deal.

Their day rate goes up to 25p (mines currently 21) and their night time tariff is 5p.

Yeh so I charge the car up cheap but everything else I have becomes more expensive by 5p and I run a lot more in the day than at night.

Looks good on the outside, yes you can say your car charged cheap but you get stitched up in the day.

There’s no good deals to be had with energy now, where I live in london anyway.
Yeah I think we missed out on the original deal which was 15p/5p. The new rate of 25p/5p is too expensive. 😅

Reactions: Oxstock
Please as punched after taking delivery on Friday and nearly 400miles. No photos until I give it a clean, it’s more like MSM than white after a 3 hour journey along the M4!

The car is a company car through Lex, it showed up in the app within a few hours but there is nothing about on my account dashboard in the website. Is this normal? My wife is a bit miffed that she has to use the keycard rather than her phone. At least she can’t turn the heated seats on for a giggle!

Just log her in with your account. You can then assign her phone to a different driver profile. Alternatively if you don't want to trust her with your password you can email your lease company and ask them to add an additional driver account I believe.

Reactions: kanksbloke
Remember having your car charging away on the 3 pin, is like leaving the kettle boiling, all. day. long! at the higher rate.

With a 7kw chargepoint, you can get all that charge in a 4hour cheap rate window.

Like you say, everyne is different and has different requirements.

ANYWAY, all a bit off topic really. Sorry Mods....
You make a valid point. Only thing I will say is that we're only talking 5-10% loss every trip - thats roughly 7KW, so it wont be charging all day every day when the car recoups that amount back, it will stop charging - so leaving a kettle on for 2-3 hours perhaps - few quid a day.

Bear in mind I'm coming from a gas guzzler of £100 per week. I'll take £14 any day of the week!

Reactions: Simonix
I am not sure if this is helpful, but I created a spreadsheet for comparing different electricity tariffs. >LINK<

You can enter details from a typical (pre EV purchase) monthly bill, e.g. monthly day and night usage, night time schedule and day/night KWh costs. Then put in your typical weekly car mileage for each day of the week (Only change the green and yellow cells, otherwise you will break the calcs).

The spreadsheet will estimate how much that mileage will cost you (it assumes you do as much charging as possible on your night tariff and then overflows to the day tariff only when you can't get the charging done during the night time schedule).

If you want to look at a different supplier, just make a copy of one of the sheets and then change the details (the summary page is done manually, but you should be able to add the new supplier with basic excel knowledge.

It isn't perfect (because it has to make some assumptions about your example month usage), but it isn't bad as an estimate.

Reactions: Cossa and Algy
I am not sure if this is helpful, but I created a spreadsheet for comparing different electricity tariffs. >LINK<

You can enter details from a typical (pre EV purchase) monthly bill, e.g. monthly day and night usage, night time schedule and day/night KWh costs. Then put in your typical weekly car mileage for each day of the week (Only change the green and yellow cells, otherwise you will break the calcs).

The spreadsheet will estimate how much that mileage will cost you (it assumes you do as much charging as possible on your night tariff and then overflows to the day tariff only when you can't get the charging done during the night time schedule).

If you want to look at a different supplier, just make a copy of one of the sheets and then change the details (the summary page is done manually, but you should be able to add the new supplier with basic excel knowledge.

It isn't perfect (because it has to make some assumptions about your example month usage), but it isn't bad as an estimate.
Literally opened that doc and cant make heads or tails of it. Its like looking at the Matrix

• Funny
Reactions: stiopa
Robbo I'll tell you my usage and you can run the magic numbers. That sounds like a better deal.
Not to me it doesn't :)

Click on one of the tabs e.g. Current Tariff (Bulb)
Green cells - Change the green cells based upon the tariff you want to cost-up and your expected daily mileage
Yellow - Enter your last month's electricity usage (for day and night KWh usage - from your bill).
Blue - This is your predicted costs per month for your house and the car, on the tariff you are costing.

You can do this with multiple copies of the sheet, to compare the total cost of house and car on different electricity tariffs.

Not to me it doesn't :)

Click on one of the tabs e.g. Current Tariff (Bulb)
Green cells - Change based upon your tariff you want to cost-up and your expected daily mileage
Yellow - Enter your last month's electricity usage (for day and night rates - from your bill).
Blue - This is your predicted costs.
I think this works if you have a 7kwh.. I have 3 pin