Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since update to 28.1 AHB has been crazy for me, going on and off like a strobe light when driving though towns at night, loads of phantom braking too, mainly when a car crosses the path of the road or a merge in from a lane none of which needed the car to brake.

def needs some work

Since update to 28.1 AHB has been crazy for me, going on and off like a strobe light when driving though towns at night, loads of phantom braking too, mainly when a car crosses the path of the road or a merge in from a lane none of which needed the car to brake.

def needs some work
#itsafeature TM

You discovered the party-mode Easter egg! Just put your windows down and music full blast and other road users will love you

Another test this evening running daughter to swimming and back AHB is more like a strobe light it's on and off that much on normal 30mph streets with lampposts etc no autopilot used. I've performed another reset and no change. It's not the end of the world to flick them off but it's definitely something that needs fixing 28.1 was fine with hardly any false activations on the same routes.

Another test this evening running daughter to swimming and back AHB is more like a strobe light it's on and off that much on normal 30mph streets with lampposts etc no autopilot used. I've performed another reset and no change. It's not the end of the world to flick them off but it's definitely something that needs fixing 28.1 was fine with hardly any false activations on the same routes.
30mph, lit roads sounds like urban, ‘city street’, driving and technically speaking, autopilot isn’t meant to be used on those roads. Tesla would have saved a lot of confusion by disabling the option in those locations rather than tucking a line away in the user manual.

Reactions: init6 and mick4545
30mph, lit roads sounds like urban, ‘city street’, driving and technically speaking, autopilot isn’t meant to be used on those roads. Tesla would have saved a lot of confusion by disabling the option in those locations rather than tucking a line away in the user manual.
I thought he said no autopilot used. I think he was referring to just auto high-beam. I tried it once when I first bought the car (2020) and have never enabled it since. Having said that, I have tried auto high-beam on the previous Golf R that I had and found that barely usable either.

Reactions: Adopado
I thought he said no autopilot used. I think he was referring to just auto high-beam. I tried it once when I first bought the car (2020) and have never enabled it since. Having said that, I have tried auto high-beam on the previous Golf R that I had and found that barely usable either.
Ah, apologies if he did, my bad, in which case just turn it off.

No autopilot used just me driving, easy enough to turn off but it shouldn't be happening and it re-enables itself all the time.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
No autopilot used just me driving, easy enough to turn off but it shouldn't be happening and it re-enables itself all the time.
Why shouldn't it be happening? Tesla doesn't have the software feature to keep beams dipped in built up areas, it's never been something included. It is clearly something they need to add, but it's not the current software gone wrong. Until then push the stalk to toggle from AHB to dipped, I'm not sure what you means by 're-enables itself' as the only time it would do that is under AutoPilot.

Different nights, different weather, different amounts of other traffic etc. are the only likely explanation for any difference between current versions.

Reactions: init6
Why shouldn't it be happening? Tesla doesn't have the software feature to keep beams dipped in built up areas, it's never been something included. It is clearly something they need to add, but it's not the current software gone wrong. Until then push the stalk to toggle from AHB to dipped, I'm not sure what you means by 're-enables itself' as the only time it would do that is under AutoPilot.

Different nights, different weather, different amounts of other traffic etc. are the only likely explanation for any difference between current versions.
Understand what you're saying to @Sparky750 and me. However, after I push the stalk to toggle/dip the AHB, it comes on again travelling a few meters down the road without AP or EAP engaged. The manual and you are correct in saying that the expected behaviour is that it only reenables when under AP or EAP, but this isn't the case. Having to push the stalk every five meters to disable AHB when driving down a built up city street is rather frustrating and not something I've had to do before on 24.x and previous versions. It's so frustrating that I may just turn off AHB completely in the settings.

Last edited:
Understand what you're saying to @Sparky750 and me. However, after I push the stalk to toggle/dip the AHB, it comes on again travelling a few meters down the road without AP or EAP engaged. The manual and you are correct in saying that the expected behaviour is that it only reenables when under AP or EAP, but this isn't the case. Having to push the stalk every five meters to disable AHB when driving down a built up city street is rather frustrating and not something I've had to do before on 24.x and previous versions. It's so frustrating that I may just turn off AHB completely in the settings.
That's very odd, certainly not right. I don't think I've driven in the dark since being on .28 to have the experience myself. On .24 it certainly didn't do that.

I did that 3 years ago ... no problems since.
Yep. Years ago, when for the umpteenth time, it nearly killed me by switching off the lights mid way through a fast corner in a dark country Lane, I switched it off and haven’t used it since.

Likewise, I rarely use cruise control or AP as it terrifies my passengers with phantom braking.

My wife hates driving my M3P. Still, every cloud…